Strange ways to play BTW

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
AddyBaha

Strange ways to play BTW

Post by AddyBaha »

After my first HC-Spawn in my new world I decided to walk straight north for a couple of days, as I wasn't interesset in building a new base in a tundra-biom. Eventually I reached the ocean, built a boat from the wood I collected on my way and started sailing. After 6 or 7 minecraft days I reached a mushroom-biom.
My food runs low and I have to wait for my saplings to grow into trees, so I can make new axes and start chopping down some more of the big mushrooms. If I get a tree soon enough I should be able to survive for quite some time and eventually make my way back home...

In what non-typical ways have you played BTW and did you succesfully survive it/ get profit out of it?

P.S.: how long do trees need to grow from the biggest sapling-stage to actual trees?
MagikEh wrote:Placent Placenta Placenta! It's like beetle juice right?
Zhil

Re: Strange ways to play BTW

Post by Zhil »

My current world has a big ocean at 0,0, so spawn is pushed quite far off. How far? My spawn point is right above the stronghold :). So yeah, in this particular world, compass points to stronghold, weird.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
abculatter_2

Post by abculatter_2 »

In my old world, I decided to try making a pre-iron expedition to far, far away, and just keep walking/boating until I found a village to call home. It ended up being a wheat village, and having renewable food that early made the early game a hell of a lot less stressful without the constant 'this is all the food I have oh god I need to get more iron NOW!' aspect, although milling bread by hand is rather tedious...
One downside to this, however, is that if you die it's basically impossible to find your way back to the village you found.

I don't remember how many versions back this was, though. It might have actually been before hats became Steve's favorite fashion accessory.
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

@abculatter_2 Yeah the hunter/gatherer style of play until finding a village was my prefered method of work a few updates ago. After a while though, you realize that if you keep moving you might never run out of food until you find your village, but you also realize that during those 3 or 4 days that you are traveling (probably more) you are not making any progress whatsoever, and as you mentioned, if you die... bye bye iron tools.

What i've been doing its relocating every couple of days until i get the iron pick and hoe, Always leaving behind some emergency supplies and some indication to where i went next. This coupled with the "dont cut the tree stumps" i usually do, means that its very hard to get lost after a couple of HC Spawns. You end up with a large area scouted and a bunch of outposts. This drains the animals around the spawn pretty hard but i think its worth it.

Also i only play pantless. Results are undeniable.
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
devak

Post by devak »

Wafflewaffle wrote: Also i only play pantless. Results are undeniable.
100% less i-crapped-my-pants moments guaranteed. Side effects may apply
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

Wafflewaffle wrote:Also i only play pantless. Results are undeniable.
Wait, I thought that was the default way of playing BTW.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sandrew wrote: Wait, I thought that was the default way of playing BTW.
Nope, just for developing it. Pants are optional while playing.