Server lag and overload problem

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
DeGariless

Server lag and overload problem

Post by DeGariless »

I am running a server on my personal computer at home using McMyAdmin. In less than 5 minutes of starting/restarting the server and/or my computer, the game starts lagging the console starts saying..

Code: Select all

PM CONSOLE:
[WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
This happens even without logging in and attempting to play. While my server is running, My CPU usage for my computer sits around10% and occasionally spikes up to 30% for very brief moments. My Ram usage never goes over 10% of the JVM RAM. I have no other programs running other than whats necessary (like antivirus etc). I have ran minecraft servers on my computer in the past, many of which had ~100 mods with no problem at all. If anyone has any tips, or something I might have missed, I would greatly appreciate it. alternatively, if there is any information that I can provide that may help to solve the issue, let me know. Thanks for your time.

Tech Specs and extra information that may or may not be useful...
Windows 8.1 Pro
Intel Core i7
Samsung SSD
16GB RAM
McMyAdmin 2.5.4.0 Professional (latest as of 12/9/14)
BTW Server 4.99999A0Fb Marsupial!?!? (latest as of 12/9/14)
VegasGoat

Re: Server lag and overload problem

Post by VegasGoat »

Wow that system should be able to run it fine, so maybe it's a messed up installation? One thing to try is adding "noconsole" to the end of the server command line (so it's an argument to the server, not an argument to the JVM). I remember that GUI console causing issues for me way back, where running without it worked much better.
DeGariless

Post by DeGariless »

VegasGoat wrote:Wow that system should be able to run it fine, so maybe it's a messed up installation? One thing to try is adding "noconsole" to the end of the server command line (so it's an argument to the server, not an argument to the JVM). I remember that GUI console causing issues for me way back, where running without it worked much better.
I think you mean -nogui? I'll give that a try. I'm pretty sure mcmyadmin does that on its own but I may be mistaken. I will also try a new installation. Thanks for the help.
VegasGoat

Post by VegasGoat »

Yeah that's what I meant, though it might be without the -, so just "nogui". You probably would have seen the GUI come up if it was there.
mc_isaac

Post by mc_isaac »

I've had this issue before, but don't remember exactly what I did to fix it.
I would try:
-updating or downgrading your Java.
-Reinstalling the mod on a fresh server jar.
-Start the server with more memory (http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Tutorial ... p_a_server)
DeGariless

Post by DeGariless »

So. I just sat down to try to work on my server and I can't get it to act up in any way. This makes absolutely no sense to me. regardless, thanks for your willingness to help. If this problem comes up in the future, I will try all of these things mentioned here. :)
VegasGoat

Post by VegasGoat »

Might have just been something like a virus scan or update kicking off in the background.
mc_isaac

Post by mc_isaac »

You could give your Server processor priority on your PC in hopes that a random event like a virus scan wouldn't cause such an issue again.

Details on How:
Open Task manager
find your running server under "Processes" tab (probably just Java as MC runs in java)
right click > select "go to details"
the actually process should be selected
right click again > select "Set priority"
Set it to "High"

Java and most regular applications have a default value of normal and a virus scan might have a value of normal or high.
If you give your server high priority it will no longer "give up" system resources to a higher valued process. The worst that will happen is it will share resources if another "high" priority process starts.
Since you aren't having issues now it's hard to test but this might help or prevent a slowdown again... worth a shot.

Cheers