XP from soulsand hoppers not falling straight down?

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
Six

XP from soulsand hoppers not falling straight down?

Post by Six »

This came up in another thread and I was wondering if anyone else has seen issues with this? I personally was only seeing it when turning on my whole xp storage spiral, causing massive client lag and noticeable server lag (from what other people on the server were saying). Rather than the xp just dropping straight down to the water below it, it would end up sprayed all around in about a 3x3 area centered below the hopper, with some even seeming to end up inside the glass blocks.

One picture I have looking up after turning it on, with most of those orbs not in the waterflow and unmoving:
Spoiler
Show
Has anyone else with noticeable client or sever lag experienced similar?
Zhil

Re: XP from soulsand hoppers not falling straight down?

Post by Zhil »

IIRC, vanilla dispensers have the same behavior, no? Maybe it's intended?
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Yeah, but items always go straight down out of hoppers.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok, but be careful here guys: remember that XP orbs are attracted to the player. If you're standing in the middle of a mechanism like this, your presence will influence the results.

Regardless, I'll be taking a look at XP/Hopper behavior shortly.

Also not certain what this deviation has to do with any lag that might be occurring here, and why the two would be associated in the OP. Remember: you're generating a shit-load of entities all at once with a setup like in the picture above. Lag is inevitable.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

I never liked the gravity orbs really. Seems out of place in Minecraft and makes it a hell to automate anything with them. I personally try to keep them as dragon orbs as long as possible, so I don't have to reason about what my presence will do to the orbs.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote:I never liked the gravity orbs really. Seems out of place in Minecraft and makes it a hell to automate anything with them. I personally try to keep them as dragon orbs as long as possible, so I don't have to reason about what my presence will do to the orbs.
That's a fair point actually. I'll put some thought into potentially weakening the gravity effect or potentially even removing it entirely, as you're right in that it's not really suited for automation.
Six

Post by Six »

Ah sorry, I only tied it to the lag because at the top I've got a single soulsand hopper that feeds xp into the spiral which has no issues at all. I only personally saw it happening in the large system when it was turned on and the inevitable lag came, in case that was important in determining why it might be happening.
TheGroovyWorkshed

Post by TheGroovyWorkshed »

I imagine this is the same problem I brought up quite a while ago:
http://sargunster.com/btwforum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7134
This was obviously an older version but I don't know if the hopper code has been changed since then. Hope the extra pictures help diagnose the problem in some way.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Got it. Looks like when the vanilla collision code changed awhile ago, it messed up how the Hopper was outputting XP orbs. As far as I can tell, it looks like the orbs were spawning partially imbedded in the Hopper, and sometimes getting pushed to a neighboring block as a result.

Fixed for next release.
TheGroovyWorkshed

Post by TheGroovyWorkshed »

Great news. Thanks FC. What's the point of wrestling your way to the top of the food chain if you can't bathe in the souls of your fallen enemys :).