Cement Art

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Cement Art

Post by FlowerChild »

I was just fixing up the cement rendering for 1.5 and decided to run some tests on it in creative mode (don't much feel like having stone puddles all over my main world).

While doing so, I had a bit of inspiration, and I think I may have invented something new. I present to you:

Cement Art!
Spoiler
Show
Anyways, I had a lot of fun with that, and was struck by how strategic placing of cement buckets on a very minimal dirt scaffold can generate absolutely huge, and I think rather cool looking, monuments. The way the cement drips creates rather unique forms.

Give it a try. It's a hoot :)
Anbaric

Re: Cement Art

Post by Anbaric »

Cement rendering, huh? Any pictures of it as a liquid?
Things about me.
Show
1: I hate all updates past 1.2.5. Server lag in SP?!?
2: I've never made it to SFS.
3:
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

Looks kinda like something from legend of zelda :D

But I'm really happy you're making progress!

Are you changing how the cement spreads from its previous way?
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Anbaric wrote:Cement rendering, huh? Any pictures of it as a liquid?
No. I was really just fucking about while testing, then realized the result actually looked kinda cool.

I figured I'd just throw up a screenshot of the result and see what people did with it, as I didn't want to get further distracted from the update while playing around with it ;)
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

I've always been a fan of pouring it on a forest, then burning the trees out from underneath once it's dried.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gunnerman21 wrote:Are you changing how the cement spreads from its previous way?
I'm not changing anything with cement. 1.5 is basically a rewrite of how texturing and lighting works, thus I had to adjust all the mod blocks for that. Given cement was one of the most complicated since it is a fluid, I left that one for last and was just testing out my fixes.

I generally don't add new features or change existing ones when working on an update release. It's all about just getting everything working again with the new code.

Anyways, I didn't create this thread to discuss the update process, just to share something cool I discovered while working on it.
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

I had a lot of fun with cement building in the nether
Not only does it have a really cool look erupting from the ceiling it allows you to conquer the nether and move pretty much where you want without having to expose yourself to ghast fire though I guess it's not the most effective way to build stuff it was a fun challenge.
Mud

Post by Mud »

*awaiting the inevitable cement phallus*
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

No pics at the moment but i have been using cement buckets very effectively in building an island survival map :D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Mud wrote:*awaiting the inevitable cement phallus*
Too late. My monument in the OP has one, he was just nice enough to throw a shroud over it :)
ignika42

Post by ignika42 »

Cement is one of those (rare) things in BTW that I know about, but rarely use, so I decided to pop into a creative world and give this a go; I ended up with this, which turned out surprisingly well
Spoiler
Show

Probably gonna recreate it in my regular world now, assuming I can remember how I placed the scaffolding. Definitely gonna use cement more now, thanks FC!
A madman sat in his empire of dust and ashes. Little knowing of the glory he would achieve. Far away, the idiots and fools dreamt of a shining new future. A future now doomed to never happen.
Six

Post by Six »

Huh, I'd never considered how cement solidifies into hanging shroud-like structures like that. That might actually come in really handy to quickly make the walls for an above-ground mob-trap...
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Remember also how it interacts with redstone ;]

Actually this might be a fun thing, might just pop in a creative to play around :P
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Lars

Post by Lars »

It looks like a testificate wraith with a boner. Kinda like me when I get out of bed early....
Anyway, I hope the updating is going well! Thanks for sharing your erotic art in the meantime.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Lars wrote:Thanks for sharing your erotic art in the meantime.
Lol! Thanks for the good belly laugh on that one :)
agentwiggles

Post by agentwiggles »

Man, it's weird that you posted this today, as I've been experimenting a little bit with something similar - using cement to "pour" little temporary shelters.

As you can see here, you can get some pretty good sized little cement huts with a little planning and a dirt frame. I'm envisioning bringing a bucket or two of cement on my next long trip and putting up some little huts like these. I tend to build lots of small basic bases when I adventure, and these are just kinda cool anyway - like concrete houses. All but maybe one of these took only one bucket.
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show

Just for shits and giggles, I decided to see if I could cram some decent accommodations into this one - I managed to get everything I usually put in a "night base" in there plus some fun aesthetic stuff too.

Before:
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
After:
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Just from playing with it for 15 mins or so, it's pretty clear that you're only limited by creativity with your initial dirt frame and the amount of buckets you want to pour. Fun stuff.

tl;dr version: Cement is cool!
Svartwolf

Post by Svartwolf »

hehe sadly i dont have a running copy of minecraft near, so no pics, but i remember going apeshit in creative with cement like half a year ago, to the point i was almost thinking to make a suggestion (then i searched the forum and wisely desisted)

the two most prominent things i tried with cement was abstract sculpting (its pretty easy to do inverted pyramids if you keep pouring cement in the same place in a pilar.) and terraforming.

terraforming can be used with interesting results specially in the nether and the end. in the end it could be very useful due to the need of the end to terraform. (on the nether is quite fun making huge stone pillars, and in the overworld sculpting sides of some mountains).

other interesting things i did were covering a village and a forest, for quite curious results--- lets say "pompey"...

Sadly i haven't tried such things on survival, so i'm not sure how feasible or how that part of the gameplay revolves when you need to produce the cement and you cant fly.

I find the mechanics of cement quite interesting, and makes me think of "alchemy" to the point that you create a "stone" that acts like "water" until it "transforms". I'm sorry FC, i couldn't resist so i will make a mini suggestion (I will face the rightful punishment if it sucks).