There's too much meat!

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Sarudak
Site Admin

There's too much meat!

Post by Sarudak »

So... I've played the early game with hardcore hunger several times over now and I feel that it's still too easy. I find that by my first night I generally have around two full stacks of meat which is enough to keep me going for a long time. There's so many animals and they're so easy to kill that I feel like it marginalizes any other potential food source in the early game. I care little for mushrooms and pumpkins (other than harvesting some for later farming), I don't need to fish unless I decide to settle down early and I've never even come close to starvation except by intentional choice. Is anyone else finding this to be the case? Or am I just too good at the game?
The great randomo

Re: There's too much meat!

Post by The great randomo »

You're too good :P
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
Foxy

Post by Foxy »

it's so also for me :(

i expected more difficult when i readed of the HCH
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I should clarify the simple rules I follow:

1. Always walk never run unless in combat
2. Don't settle down. Keep moving and kill every animal you see.
3. Don't do any mining on the first day you want food and leather armor first.
4. As soon as you have enough leather build some leather armor.
5. Always stay above peckish to preserve the ability to sprint when needed.
6. Avoid engaging skeletons and creepers whenever possible, spiders and zombies are fine as they can easily be dispatched with a stone sword and leather armor
7. Never engage a monster when close to half health
8. Never eat food if you would gain fat from it

When I follow these rules I find the game to be very easy.
Simurgh

Post by Simurgh »

A bit the same, I'm not having any problems keeping myself fed. The only obstacle is getting past the initial "if it moves kill it" stage and onto a sustainable food source. Mushrooms are a pain - I can't seem to farm them so don't bother with those, and won't until I get mycelium probably. Pumpkins I think might be a little OP as the rate they grow at is pretty speedy and you can end up with a huge farm quite quickly. With the Hunger update onwards the most dangerous aspects I'm finding are the iron and armour tweaks, health regen and the penalties for low health.

But on the other hand I am definitely weighing risk/reward of activities a LOT more before jumping down a ravine or charging into a mineshaft.
Foxy

Post by Foxy »

there should be something to make that more hard
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Fishing is great for the transition time between nomad and settled farmer.
Foxy

Post by Foxy »

yeah; but fishing now , i think, it's very boring
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

Sarudak wrote:2. Don't settle down. Keep moving and kill every animal you see.
3. Don't do any mining on the first day you want food and leather armor first.
...and there's the tradeoff, hunt or build. I think that's the important bit. Once you settle down the hunger part is easily managed, anyway. At that point it is a driver to create interesting automation builds, and that seems to be the long term goal with most of the features FC adds.
Sometimes I think everyone else is smarter than me, then I realize everyone else is smarter then me.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Errr...what's the point of this thread? We have the balance observations thread for this kind of thing, and this thread title sounds more like it should be put in a suggestion box or sent to a complaint department.

I understand you like these kind of balance changes Sar, and are very opinionated on them, but cut me some slack while I continue to work on them, will ya?
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Oh sorry for some reason i though the balance observation thread had been locked. Sorry man.

I was just intending to share my experience of the game. I know you get a lot of complaint about it being too hard and I wanted to share my experience and specifically how I was playing.