New Release! (BTW V4.55)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.55)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.55 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added Hardcore Movement (movement journal day 5). This change affects movement speed (for both the player and mobs) on various material types so that building paths and roads becomes an important part of the game. As a general rule of thumb hard surfaces, or those traditionally used in the making of roads (e.g. cobble, brick, gravel, planks, wool, iron, etc.) increase movement speed, while soft surface (grass, dirt, etc.) leave it unchanged, and materials that you would expect to slow you down (tall grass, snow, crops, Groth, reeds, sand, etc.) do so. All materials that provide a bonus or penalty do so by an equal amount so as not to discourage construction out of a variety of materials. It also removes potions of swiftness from the game (the recipe has been removed and existing potions will cease to have any effect) as these significantly decrease the value of both rail networks previous to this change, and to roads with it, and require very little effort on the part of the player to create. Try it...this changes everything :)

-Added sources for efficiency and respiration Arcane Scrolls.

-Added changes to silverfish to make them a more interesting, useful, dangerous, and a better integrated part of the game. These are left to the player to discover.

-Added an additional side-effect to one of the beacon types that is left to the player to discover.

-Changed Soulforged Steel blocks to be impervious to wither-based destruction.

-Changed the way animals and plants behave in the end dimension.

-Changed (tweaked) the spawn rate and range of something in relation to something else, and added sounds and particle effects to the same. I will say no more :)

-Changed (refined) the way the game determines what surface an entity is on. This should be most noticeable with the step sounds that are played when walking on very thin surfaces like freshly planted Groth, but the change is particular important with Hardcore Movement since the surface you're on is a much more significant factor now.

-Fixed problem with Wind Mills & Water Wheels not rendering when viewed from high above.

-Fixed mod option for skipping the end game text.

-Removed the option for disabling the limiting of squid spawns as their drops are now more important and require a specialized mob trap.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

BlackCat

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.55)

Post by BlackCat »

*Claps slowly*

Bravo good sir.
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
Equitis1024

Post by Equitis1024 »

Wow. That's awesome.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Wow. You were right about the change being so fundamental that no one would think of it. Sounds awesome!
FlowerChild wrote:Changed (tweaked) the spawn rate and range of something in relation to something else, and added sounds and particle effects to the same. I will say no more :)
You tease :) I can't wait to figure out what the heck this means.
FlowerChild wrote:Changed Soulforged Steel blocks to be impervious to wither-based destruction.
Awesome! Thank you! I thought it was stupid that Mojang discouraged the making of area-like areas by letting it destroy all blocks besides end portals and bedrock.

In general this is awesome! Keep up the great work!
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
andreinawolf

Post by andreinawolf »

Oh my god I love the HC movement!! If it is optional I will gladly fight off the hordes of whiny players on my server to make sure it's on :D
Locke

Post by Locke »

I will be interested in the efficiency scroll source... Finally, I can have my revenge on that netherrack.
FlowerChild wrote: Hehehe...BTW: Making Minecraft a little more vile with each release :)
Spoilered for convenience :)
Spoiler
Show
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Roads are now a thing *faints*
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

Yes. Just...yes.
FlowerChild wrote:-Added sources for efficiency and respiration Arcane Scrolls.
Hmm, wonder what could be an efficient mob at breaking blocks...
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Hardcore Movement...damn that is pretty fundamental. I never would've guessed that -.-
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
CumuloNimbus10

Post by CumuloNimbus10 »

I think this release will make me start playing my BTW world again. There is so much to discover! Thanks FC!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BTW guys, I do want to thank Don't Starve for inspiring the idea for Hardcore Movement. I really love that roads affect movement speed in that game, and realized while playing that it would be doubly relevant in a game like MC where player construction is such a fundamental aspect of the game (unlike Don't Starve).

I've always been a fan of building aesthetic roads and paths in my world, but as always, giving the player incentive to build cool shit in their worlds is always a priority for me, and I think this feature does precisely that.
andreinawolf wrote:If it is optional
Fuck no :)

Seriously though, play with it a bit and there's just no going back. It just feels right, so I'd actually be surprised if there's much whining about this one, other than the loss of speed potions in trade for it ;)
Pseudosavior

Post by Pseudosavior »

Pardon my language here, but the Hardcore Movement sounds and likely plays fucking awesomely. I honestly can't believe that it wasn't something already in the game/thought about, and it seems like it really fits perfectly. Thanks so much for another awesome release!
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

Wow, just, wow.
It's one of thos things that you just wouldn't even think of, but is so simple and makes so much sense.
Features are continually added to BTW that change things so logically there's no way I could really play vanilla again.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
Azdoine

Post by Azdoine »

*Mindblown*
AngelWithDirtyHands

Post by AngelWithDirtyHands »

Can't wait to get my teeth into this one! =^.^= HC movement is genius, I tell you! Genius!
Spoiler
Show
Zen Proclivities wrote:Much obliged to all your devilish details FC.
...except for Hardcore Bucket, that one is a bitch. But such is life, and life says work for it you pussy.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Hardcore movement? Bravo sir! Bravo! I didn't even think about that aspect at all. But it does make sooooooo much sense! Thank you for making minecraft better and better bit by bit!
Gears

Post by Gears »

Hardcore movement just sounds like an amazing idea, and I am glad that you implemented it. Those speed potions always seemed OP, even for things like base raids in PvP and anarchy, so I'm glad you removed them. Not to mention they completely nullified my reasons for setting up a rail system around my server when it was "more effective" to snort some sugar water and gain super speed.

I'll check this out later tonight, the last few days for me have been consumed by FL Studio and TerraFirmaCraft, and I'm almost done building my first house in the latter.
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Thanks guys :)

I'm really looking forward to seeing the impact this has on people's worlds. I suspect it will be decidedly positive.
Gears

Post by Gears »

FlowerChild wrote:Thanks guys :)

I'm really looking forward to seeing the impact this has on people's worlds. I suspect it will be decidedly positive.
Yeah man, I'm gonna have to start mowing the ol' fortress' lawn soon.

I was getting too comfortable with tall grass since they let you place blocks on it, and I just stopped caring. You always know when to give us that motivational kick in the ass, don't ya?
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer
ThePowerofTower

Post by ThePowerofTower »

It's for features like this that I would say: "I don't play Minecraft. I play Better than Wolves." Great feature. I was just thinking earlier "Might be cool to build roads in all of my stuff... But why? Ahh, waste of resources." Now, I'm Roman. Thanks FC :D
ImSheroPsu

Post by ImSheroPsu »

HC movement sounds fantastic. Looks like its time to build a highway across the desert between me and my wolves.

For now though. I'm silverfish huntin!!!! To the mines!!!!

*edit* while running through my mine to find silverfish I am moving insanely fast!!! HC Movement is in fact awesome!
Last edited by ImSheroPsu on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:
ManPotatoes wrote:
If you hate it ban me I could care less C:

Bonus.
Six

Post by Six »

FlowerChild wrote:I've always been a fan of building aesthetic roads and paths in my world, but as always, giving the player incentive to build cool shit in their worlds is always a priority for me, and I think this feature does precisely that.
This is the thing I find incredible. I like the idea of building roads between things, but as they are just aesthetic I always put this off forever, focusing on actual functional stuff. But you've now made roads functional. In a sensible way.

Mind Blown.
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

It sounds like such a small idea on paper, but the impact on our worlds is going to be immense! It makes finishing my asethetic road system in my city actually valuable!
odranoel

Post by odranoel »

i cant tell you how much i love you right now. iv been working on building various paths to all my buildings these last few weeks. (i posted some pics in another thread) and now you give us HC movement. sometimes you release a feature exactly at the time iv been working on something releated to it and it blows my mind.

so thanks FC, for another fantastic release :)

*heres the link to the pics of any one wants, its exactly what HC movement promotes :D*
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

Oh man, this is all so frickin' cool. I've already spent the entire afternoon/night on my BTW world, but I know I'm going to still be playing it all weekend! I can already guess where the scrolls come from, but I have no idea about the other things. I guess I'll just have to see... Also, being able to kill Withers more easily will be nice, since I have been creating a growing amount of bedrock level holes where I was fighting them previously.

The movement thing is just so awesome. I'm already sure it will add to immersion, since now that huge desert is not just as easy to cross as that nice plains biome, and everything else... it's just awesome. I can't thank you enough for your awesome contributions to this game, which wasn't even much of a game before. Your mod makes Minecraft worth playing.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.