Silverfish and the End

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
DaveYanakov

Silverfish and the End

Post by DaveYanakov »

So this came together for me out of the blue but it makes perfect sense if you forget about Mojang wussing out and limiting the behavior of Endermen.

Basically, the builders of the strongholds weren't trying to defend the portals, they were trying to contain them. As part of the defenses they created silverfish. Creatures that disguise themselves as stone and swarm to the attack when disturbed. Despite emplacing these engineered creatures in the heart of a fortress, the builders fell to the incursions of the End into the world and made a final, doomed stand in the nether where they found themselves, constructing further defensive structures and systems from whatever materials they could forge from local materials which eventually fell to the spread of the netherrack which fills so many of the fortress halls.

It seems likely to me that the pigmen are the final evidence of these builders based on their tool use and peaceful nature unless provoked. The undead husks wandering around devoid of souls with a final imperative to defend their world.
Better is the enemy of Good
Poppycocks

Re: Silverfish and the End

Post by Poppycocks »

So the builders were pigmen?

Anyway, neat theory, I like it. Too bad such a defense wouldn't work / would be more destructible than the endermen - if someone decided to use it.
OldMarriedDude

Post by OldMarriedDude »

Not a bad theory- My only issue with it is the villagers are well...inept at best. For their defense, they must rely on a golem, which only shows up when enough villagers are around, many times their houses are built in less than desirable positions. That said it gives our steves little world an interesting history and something worth exploring.
Bevanz

Post by Bevanz »

I think that can be explained by saying that there was an Ancestor race that built mystical machines like the golems and silverfish (and built the Strongholds and abandoned mine shafts), but when the End invaded, the testificates and zombie pigmen diverged from the ancestors and evolved seperately in the overworld and Nether. The villagers co-evolved and became reliant on the golems over time, making it so they didn't need to be very smart, whereas the zombie pigmen could only rely on themselves in the nether, so they became fierce pack-based warriors, but at the same time heavily mutated due to soul radiation.
Last edited by Bevanz on Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He flaps his boney wings at you, but you ask how he can fly with those things and he crashes to the ground.
OldMarriedDude

Post by OldMarriedDude »

I think the zombie pigmen got the better deal- ya they live in hell but they dont have to weird ass long noses
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

No idea where the villagers came from. They could be a seperate species that evolved in the post-Enderman world. They may be an imported species that arrived when a group of them were sucked through a wormhole/portal. They don't neccesarily have any connection at all to the Builders. Same goes for the pigmen when you get down to it. I just like the theory that they may be the lifeless remnants of that once great race.
Bevanz

Post by Bevanz »

I dunno, if we're assigning lore to the pigmen anyways by making them the remnants of the builders, I like the idea of divergent evolution, and it makes an interesting dynamic to think of them as being related, in my mind.
He flaps his boney wings at you, but you ask how he can fly with those things and he crashes to the ground.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Who assigned anything? That was a hypothesis. You need proof of connection before you can go assigning connections like that.
Bevanz

Post by Bevanz »

Sorry if my wording bothered you, didn't mean anything specific by it... I just like the idea of divergent evolution from a starting species :)
nmarshall23

Post by nmarshall23 »

I was just thinking about who were these zombie pigmen. Where did they come from? How did they become zombies?
Ulfengaard wrote:BTW by FC: Fixing vanilla, one version at a time. :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

nmarshall23 wrote:I was just thinking about who were these zombie pigmen. Where did they come from? How did they become zombies?
I have an answer to that question coming in the not so distant future ;)
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

FlowerChild wrote:
nmarshall23 wrote:I was just thinking about who were these zombie pigmen. Where did they come from? How did they become zombies?
I have an answer to that question coming in the not so distant future ;)
Why you are so evil :(
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
Educated_Fool

Post by Educated_Fool »

FlowerChild wrote:I have an answer to that question coming in the not so distant future ;)
Oh, you tease :O
I can see clearly now my brain is gone.
Ozziie

Post by Ozziie »

FlowerChild wrote:I have an answer to that question coming in the not so distant future ;)
Mojang seem to be doing a good job of accidentally adding features that flesh out the backstory behind many of the things that inhabit the Minecraft world. If I may speculate, I'm gonna guess this means we'll suddenly find our snout nosed friends are "armed" (hehe) if we drag them through to the depths of hell? Hopefully the transition includes "interesting" particle effects and explains the existence of our hostile friends...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ozziie wrote: Mojang seem to be doing a good job of accidentally adding features that flesh out the backstory behind many of the things that inhabit the Minecraft world.
Hehe...I know what you mean man, but I think it's more a matter of them adding some random bit of whatever, and me then scrambling to try and accommodate that into my "back story".

It's a very strange way to write a story, but at the same time I must admit that having random elements thrown at me like that is causing a lot of detail to creep into my concept of how the MC world works that might not be there otherwise :)
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

FlowerChild wrote:
Ozziie wrote: Mojang seem to be doing a good job of accidentally adding features that flesh out the backstory behind many of the things that inhabit the Minecraft world.
Hehe...I know what you mean man, but I think it's more a matter of them adding some random bit of whatever, and me then scrambling to try and accommodate that into my "back story".

It's a very strange way to write a story, but at the same time I must admit that having random elements thrown at me like that is causing a lot of detail to creep into my concept of how the MC world works that might not be there otherwise :)
Sounds like fun! I know when I'm writing, I find it difficult to accommodate even my OWN random ideas that I desperately want to incorporate in the storyline. When someone else comes along and throws something completely from left field into the pot, it must add some very interesting things to the lore. However, almost anything that has a slight relationship to something else in the the story, I find, can be added with some elbow-work.

(P.S. I think I may have coined several phrases accidentally while writing that... :P)
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

I did a very quick search on the wiki but didnt find anything. Why isn't there a page for the BTW back story? I certainly would need one at times. :)