Can't install BTW 4.16 without MCPatcher

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
dragon3d

Can't install BTW 4.16 without MCPatcher

Post by dragon3d »

When I start with a clean copy of minecraft.jar, install Modloader and BTW 4.16 the traditional way (deleted META-INF and made sure there wasn't anything in the mods folder) I get this error:
Spoiler
Show
---- Minecraft Crash Report ----

Time: 9/27/12 1:01 PM
Description: ModLoader has failed to initialize.

java.util.zip.ZipException: invalid entry CRC (expected 0x0 but got 0x48b6baa4)
at java.util.zip.ZipInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
at java.util.zip.ZipInputStream.closeEntry(Unknown Source)
at java.util.zip.ZipInputStream.getNextEntry(Unknown Source)
at ModLoader.readFromClassPath(ModLoader.java:1322)
at ModLoader.init(ModLoader.java:931)
at ModLoader.addAllRenderers(ModLoader.java:185)
at avy.<init>(RenderManager.java:87)
at avy.<clinit>(RenderManager.java:14)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.a(SourceFile:260)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(SourceFile:516)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Relevant Details:
- Minecraft Version: 1.3.2
- Operating System: Windows 7 (x86) version 6.1
- Java Version: 1.7.0_07, Oracle Corporation
- Java VM Version: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (mixed mode), Oracle Corporation
- Memory: 410614040 bytes (391 MB) / 518979584 bytes (494 MB) up to 1037959168 bytes (989 MB)
- JVM Flags: 2 total; -Xms512m -Xmx1024m
- ModLoader: Mods loaded: 1
ModLoader 1.3.2
However, if I use MCPatcher it works. I unchecked all the other features MCPatcher offers and only added Risugami's Modloader and BTW 4.16.
I don't know why MCPatcher makes a difference since I am using the same files. I only tried MCPatcher on a lark earlier when I wanted to see if Optifine helped me with FPS, now it seems like the only thing that works.
morvelaira

Re: Can't install BTW 4.16 without MCPatcher

Post by morvelaira »

Your crash log there says that only ModLoader is installed. What exact steps did you take to add BTW to the jar?
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Whisp

Post by Whisp »

java.util.zip.ZipException: invalid entry CRC (expected 0x0 but got 0x48b6baa4)
This sounds like your zip programm is messing things up and also explains why MCPatcher works without a problem.
Try using 7zip, it hasn't failed me yet in the hundreds of times I edited my jar.
dragon3d

Post by dragon3d »

I am just dragging the files into the JAR file (using 7zip), first Modloader than BTW. After I posted I started to think maybe there was some residual file left behind by some previous version where I used MCPatcher. But I thought that deleting the /bin folder and re-logging in (to download a fresh JAR file) would clean and/or disconnect any old config files. I also tried just installing Modloader and it started up fine. It only crashed when I added the files from BTW.

I've been playing and adding mods to Minecraft (including occasionally BTW) since Beta 1.5_01 so this has me baffled. I suppose this stands as a warning to anyone who uses MCPatcher... It works for now, but next time I will be deleting the entire .minecraft folder to see if that helps.