How do you feel about seasonal content?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Panda

How do you feel about seasonal content?

Post by Panda »

So i apologies if this is just an Asian gaming trend but, how do you feel about seasonal content? I started thinking about the addition of witches and realized, they're nice for Halloween but, do we really need them afterwords?

In other words you can acquire special items you can only get during season events, you can keep them after the event is over but cannot acquire them after the event, you have to be logged in for it to work and from the launcher it can check to make sure its within the acceptable dates for the event (i mean unless your a lame hacker...).

Just a few examples might be:

Christmas/winter: random present blocks under pine trees with nice little items in them, Mobs have chance to drop rare Christmas foods or Christmas decorations, every biome gets snow then after winter update it melts away like it normally would.
Spring/Easter: greener foliage color, more flowers in new terrain, chicken lay Easter eggs which have a chance of dropping an special item
summer/beach content: lily pad texture has a flower on it, alittle faster crop growth, seasonal summer boggy boards that are faster than boats
Fall/ Halloween: red yellow brownish foliage color for trees, mobs drop candy at night, rare Halloween textured mobs that might drop a special Halloween decoration

This isnt a suggestion i just wonder how people would feel about it, obviously there could be other holidays for other countries (Chinese new year, Saint Patrick day yatta ya)
Never say no to Panda.
TheAnarchitect

Re: How do you feel about seasonal content?

Post by TheAnarchitect »

In certain games I feel they fit. I played a browser game for a few months that had special missions you could run on holidays that dropped special loot. The only way to get that loot was to play the holiday missions on that day. It was pretty cool and created reasons to play online together.

For something like minecraft? No way.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

The first time I saw this was on "The Incredible Machine". During valentine's day the ballons became heart shaped ballons :P It was kinda amusing... Also on christmas there would be christmas tress I believe...

I loved that game... Never saw any game quite like it since.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
duartemad

Post by duartemad »

TheAnarchitect wrote:In certain games I feel they fit. I played a browser game for a few months that had special missions you could run on holidays that dropped special loot. The only way to get that loot was to play the holiday missions on that day. It was pretty cool and created reasons to play online together.

For something like minecraft? No way.
I kinda link this to runescape, ooo the good old times playing in school with classmates trying to have the best character.
FlowerChild wrote:
Ph1il93 wrote:and it seems 1.4.6 is comming.
Excuse me for a moment while I say:

Fuck.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote:I loved that game... Never saw any game quite like it since.
Same here man. I loved that game too. That was a good era for innovative game design. The original Lemmings was another classic from that period.

Then consumer 3D cards came along and gameplay tanked for 15 years ;)
DumbassTurtle

Post by DumbassTurtle »

I tend to hate seasonal events. But usually because I'm rather busy around holidays and in games I play they usually have something really cool that is only for that year; so I tend to get a bit cranky because I'm very much a CDO completionist and I feel like I'm being forced to forsake my plans to spend all day getting whatever content they have out. This would probably be much easier on me if they usually didn't make it a one day thing; IMHO Halloween really should be the whole month of October! >.<

I know that this is not the fault of the devs and the problem really does lie completely with me, it's just fucking pixels after all. So for the most part I try to avoid playing online games to lesson my seasonal HCRS (holiday collectors rage syndrome, think PMS lol).

Though the descriptions for Fall/Halloween and winter (specifically the snow everywhere) I am soo loving! I have thought about how seasons in Minecraft might work and if it would be an interesting gameplay kinda of thing (NOT A SUGESTION!) so if Mojang ever did something like that it would be cool to see what they did with it.
Eh something, something...
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I'm not a huge fan in most cases - As a gamer, I tend to be a completionist, and content that is RL time sensitive just rubs me the wrong way. It's not so bad in persistent MMOs where games are more or less set up for that kind of thing, but minecraft? Give it a few days and there'd be a mod for it, and the seasonal content suddenly doesn't matter anyway.

The more literal take - seasons within minecraft - has been done by mods in the past, and done quite well tbh. Should be part of the vanilla game; god forbid mojang ever adding generic content that enhances gameplay though.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

Like Dumbassturtle, I also hate limited timed events even though I do have my TF2 earbuds. I think it could work if it went off of minecraft days. This way if I needed my eastereggs I just needed to play more minecraft, a win win.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.