New survival game "Don't Starve"

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Kazuya Mishima

New survival game "Don't Starve"

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Not sure if everybody is aware but since it relates heavily to Minecraft and survival games in general i thought i would post this as i personally found it of interest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRFwuo88 ... tube_gdata

The game is a top down survivalist game in that you must collect resources and combine them to acquire tools or make traps to catch food. Environments seem to be procedurally generated but since it's effectively 2d not really that complex and there are no elevation changes. Anyway the game is called "don't starve" and its' still in alpha and thus i can't advise playing it but there is a demo if your willing to install chrome. You can play a world for 16 minutes, about 2 nights but then the game stops deleting your progress.

There are some of parallels with minecraft(pigmen) and BTW (Dung). Dung is used for farming and the "Don't Starve" pigman are much more interesting then the testificates of minecraft in that they can have alliances with you and help you deforest trees.

I personally like that there is even a trap system and that you cannot catch small game outright because they are too fast but by using a simple dead-fall trap you can catch small game, really wish minecraft had something like this for the early game prior to automation.

Also the darkness mechanic is far more insidious then minecraft in that if your caught in darkness will start hearing ravenous things in the darkness and if you stay there too long you begin taking damage from invisible enemies. Kinda reminds me of the movie "The Myst".

Anyway if you want more advanced game play this guy does some farming and finds a pigman village in his third playthrough:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBQseKHGtps&feature=plcp
danielngtiger

Re: New survival game "Don't Starve"

Post by danielngtiger »

Kazuya Mishima wrote: The game is a top down survivalist game in that you must collect resources and combine them to acquire tools or make traps to catch food. Environments seem to be procedurally generated but since it's effectively 2d not really that complex and there are no elevation changes. Anyway the game is called "don't starve" and its' still in alpha and thus i can't advise playing it but there is a demo if your willing to install chrome. You can play a world for 16 minutes, about 2 nights but then the game stops deleting your progress.
Kazuya Mishima wrote: Anyway the game is called "don't starve" and its' still in alpha and thus i can't advise playing it but there is a demo if you're willing to install chrome.
Kazuya Mishima wrote: if you're willing to install chrome
Kazuya Mishima wrote: willing to install chrome
Kazuya Mishima wrote: INSTALL CHROME
You are telling me that there are people without Chrome installed!!?!

Anyway, I get some kind of error when trying to play, I probably look at it more in the morning. It does look like a pretty cool idea though.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

danielngtiger wrote: You are telling me that there are people without Chrome installed!!?!
Is Chrome really superior? Last time i thought about Chrome is when it was first released. I did about 30 minutes research and i have the impression at the time the reviews said Firefox was better. I just don't keep up with comparative browser reviews.
DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:Is Chrome really superior? Last time i thought about Chrome is when it was first released. I did about 30 minutes research and i have the impression at the time the reviews said Firefox was better. I just don't keep up with comparative browser reviews.
Apple vs PC debate usually, but Firefox has gotten so bloated IMO that Chrome is far superior.
FlowerChild wrote:I'm drawing a line in the soul sand.
finite8 wrote:Give me all your diamonds and your enchanted gear or your base is going to resemble a Chunk Error.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I actually use a chromium based browser to keep my Google usage low. I'm not entirely comfortable with them owning all my information. It's also a bit easier on the ram since the actual Chrome does some datamining in the background.
Better is the enemy of Good