Question regarding Screw Pumps

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Ecoweb

Question regarding Screw Pumps

Post by Ecoweb »

Does anyone know if FC plans on allowing items to be transported with water through a screw pump?
Elevatator

Re: Question regarding Screw Pumps

Post by Elevatator »

This would effectively destroy the need of item elevators, like (normal) elevators or Minecart systems.
It would be too simple and easy.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Nielmor

Post by Nielmor »

With the fact the he has said that he is intending on adding something like a hopper cart I highly doubt it. Also have you tired putting an item into a pump before that's not liquid, they don't exactly like it.
Ecoweb

Post by Ecoweb »

Thanks for the quick response.
Might be a neat feature to add a grate to prevent items from getting into the pump, you wouldn't want items to clog or break the pump ;)
M!C

Post by M!C »

Ecoweb wrote:Thanks for the quick response.
Might be a neat feature to add a grate to prevent items from getting into the pump, you wouldn't want items to clog or break the pump ;)
Items getting into pumps breaking/disabling them actually sounds like a nice idea, the grate part probably makes it too easy to circumvent though.

We usually caution our newer users against it but I think this idea is worth taking over to the suggestions subforum.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

The recipe already has a grate in it...

EDIT: Ninja'd on the suggestion thread
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

Rianaru wrote:The recipe already has a grate in it...

Could be just things that would pass through a grate filter could screw up the screw.
FlowerChild wrote:
Ribky wrote:What did you do with bonemeal? And can I mix it with clay and smear it on myself for instant growth?
You'll be receiving an email soon with instructions on how to order my patented instant growth formula.
muggsbud

Post by muggsbud »

milkmandan wrote:
Rianaru wrote:The recipe already has a grate in it...

Could be just things that would pass through a grate filter could screw up the screw.
are you really that dead set on making things harder than they need to be? play with it a little more then decide whether you need to be so masochistic or not.

IMO: things that fit through the screen, like seeds and powders should be pushed up, not jam it. A very similar design is used in grain elevators and combines, it would make sense that they should work here too.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

Another interesting mechanic for the pump (I'm not suggesting this, as I don't think it would be worth it for the time that would be needed to implement it) could be items (like paper especially) getting stuck up against the grate and "clogging the filter", making the water flow from the top weaker or non-existent as long as the items remained. This would have a lot of interesting design implications, like needing to keep waterways clean, and even a way of shortening the length of a waterflow, but like I said, I don't think it's worth the implementation time, as it doesn't seem like it would be very trivial to make this actually happen.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Guys, either take it to the other thread or let it die.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.