Netherrack blaster

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Battosay

Netherrack blaster

Post by Battosay »

Not a real idea, nor a real name, it just sounds cool :p
As usual, when I end up spending more time on a task than on what I can do with the products of said task, I bring it to your attention.
Mining netherrack now takes around 50% of the time I spend in the Nether, since the use of Hellfire got extended to also Redstone synthesis, Nether brick crafting, and obviously the Mining charges.
Yeah, I know my addiction to them is questionable, and makes me use way more Netherrack than most of people, but still, I think this is something you can think about, and potentially have a fun idea for it:)
Stormweaver

Re: Netherrack blaster

Post by Stormweaver »

Since 1.3, netherrack is one of the fastest-to-collect materials in the game now - a diamond pick with efficiency cuts through it like a chainsaw though butter. I don't think a feasibly faster method of collecting it can exist.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote:Since 1.3, netherrack is one of the fastest-to-collect materials in the game now - a diamond pick with efficiency cuts through it like a chainsaw though butter. I don't think a feasibly faster method of collecting it can exist.
Does that happen with diamond too? I actually had it on my todo list to look into that as a probable bug with SFS, as my unenchanted Mattocks have been blasting through it at an absolutely retarded pace.

It really feels like a bug in all honesty. I'm not sure what the hell they changed, or why, but I really don't like it.
weldaSB

Post by weldaSB »

Actually, It is a bug with SMP, now in multiplayer due to the merge. In SSP, if you mine a block by holding down the mouse, there is a split-second after you mine a block, and during that split-second you can't break any blocks. In SMP, that is nonexistent. You can see this if you have a 1.2.5 jar and mine netherack with a mattock. It takes a little less time than does stone. But if you spam the mouse key, it mines almost as fast as it does now, because it is bypassing the split-second. This happened to Etho, with an eff.5 shovel he couldn't mine very fast on SSP, but with the same shovel, he could clear a desert easily.
MoRmEnGiL: In the grand scheme of things, if you hate pickles in your burger, you can always remove them and go on.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

weldaSB wrote:Actually, It is a bug with SMP, now in multiplayer due to the merge. In SSP, if you mine a block by holding down the mouse, there is a split-second after you mine a block, and during that split-second you can't break any blocks. In SMP, that is nonexistent. You can see this if you have a 1.2.5 jar and mine netherack with a mattock. It takes a little less time than does stone. But if you spam the mouse key, it mines almost as fast as it does now, because it is bypassing the split-second. This happened to Etho, with an eff.5 shovel he couldn't mine very fast on SSP, but with the same shovel, he could clear a desert easily.
Thanks for that info man. It helps me narrow down the cause significantly, and I find this annoying enough that this may be one of those Mojang bugs I decide to correct myself.
weldaSB

Post by weldaSB »

Glad I could help! I was actually thinking of suggesting it after I tried to make a staircase through some netherack. Soooooo annoying!
MoRmEnGiL: In the grand scheme of things, if you hate pickles in your burger, you can always remove them and go on.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

weldaSB wrote:Glad I could help! I was actually thinking of suggesting it after I tried to make a staircase through some netherack. Soooooo annoying!
Yeah, it's not just annoying, it also feels like ass...the bad kind of ass that is :)
odranoel

Post by odranoel »

in response to items being mined at faster paces then before (due to the sp/mp merger) i figured id let you guys know a few things i noticed as well. for example try shearing leaves off a tree with shears, and they go at lightning speed (just as would happen previously on multilayer, but not SP) also same thing happens with crops.

for example make a large field of say sugar cane or hemp and if you just hold down the mouse button steve will claw furiously through all the crops in his reach instantly, instead of quickly breaking each crop individually, he now breaks everything in his reach instantly.

again these are things that have always happened in multilayer but not SP, but since the merger these MP issues now also occur in SP.
CueballSWR

Post by CueballSWR »

You're saying you can mine it fast. Does that mean that you are sprinting while mining? Because thats how I mine netherrack, can just walk while mining stone. As long as I am just mining the top layer its possible and has been since early 1.2.5.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I thought everyone already knew that you could bypass the block breaking limit in SSP simply by striking the air first. At that point you can then run through any easy to break material like sugarcane or netherrack. I used to fill my whole inventory with netherrack in just a few minutes that way.
duartemad

Post by duartemad »

Sarudak wrote:I thought everyone already knew that you could bypass the block breaking limit in SSP simply by striking the air first. At that point you can then run through any easy to break material like sugarcane or netherrack. I used to fill my whole inventory with netherrack in just a few minutes that way.
or just click, destroy the block, release the button then as quick as you can click again to break the next block.
FlowerChild wrote:
Ph1il93 wrote:and it seems 1.4.6 is comming.
Excuse me for a moment while I say:

Fuck.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Sarudak wrote:I thought everyone already knew that you could bypass the block breaking limit in SSP simply by striking the air first. At that point you can then run through any easy to break material like sugarcane or netherrack. I used to fill my whole inventory with netherrack in just a few minutes that way.

Even that feels slow in comparison to simply swinging your mouse back and forth to cut swathes of the stuff into tiny cube shaped pieces.

It's almost as bad as snow vs iron shovels.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

and here I was thinking you'd be the last person to use such an exploit :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote: and here I was thinking you'd the the last person to use such an exploit :)
Yeah you know the funny thing is I never even thought about it until I posted that... *facepalm*
Pentagram

Post by Pentagram »

I first noticed it on YouTube.. The Mindcrackers would use Efficiency 4+ shovels to blast though sand.
walker_boh_65 wrote:And, update 4-20? So that means hemp is now smokable, right? :P
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Wouldn't a bloodwood farm reduce the need to harvest mountains of netherrack?
Better is the enemy of Good
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

DaveYanakov wrote:Wouldn't a bloodwood farm reduce the need to harvest mountains of netherrack?
Nope, it's only useful for Soul Urn production.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Blazara

Post by Blazara »

CueballSWR wrote: its possible and has been since early 1.2.5.
What significance does the time after release hold :S It's still all the same code or else it wouldn't be 1.2.5? :L.

Anywho, the netherrack irritates me as well: It certainly makes attempting to cut a careful staircase or corridor through a netherrack mountain suspended over lava rather more difficult than I'd like. I've lost many a pair of good boxers to the use of a mattock and the lack of pressing shift...
Blazara wrote: I, am a BETTERTHANwolfaboo.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

At one stage, i had a diamond pickaxe that was so fast, i could actually sprint at a wall of nether rack and i could mine it faster than i was sprinting.

In hindsight though, i now realise how lucky i was in that i didn't end up in a sea of Lava but anyway, it was an interesting experience.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
Cuchonchuir

Post by Cuchonchuir »

A single TNT will drop nearly a whole stack of Netherrack when you bury it into a wall. I use that for all my netherrack needs. Mining is fast, but I think this is actually faster, plus it's something constructive to use TNT for. I know it destroys some of the drops, but there are still plenty, and Netherrack is functionally infinite.