Problem creating a Blood Wood Sapling

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
WarChicken

Problem creating a Blood Wood Sapling

Post by WarChicken »

Ahoy there!

I'd like to ruin my Nether by letting a bloodwood tree grow over the whole area.
So I went to the BTW-Wiki to get the recepy.
It took me a while to get all four different types of sapling because I'm quite far away from both jungle and birch trees, but I finally got them.
Now the wiki states I need an additional Neter wart and a soul urn, which I have.

Now everything is to be put into an unstroked Stewing pot and then.... nothing happens.

So either I'm too dumb and have overread something obvious and important, or the Wiki states the wrong recepy or there's a bug in the current version (4.00) that prevents me from making my Blood Wood sapling.

Anyone have an Idea?
HaloGamefreek

Re: Problem creating a Blood Wood Sapling

Post by HaloGamefreek »

My guess: minecraft and btw hate you. Ive had similar problems before with different things. hopefully somone will come by with some info. I wish you good luck.
Nexus Trimean

Post by Nexus Trimean »

Are you using any other mods? Does this happen in both Single player and SMP? Those are both questions that will help us troubleshoot.
Your recipie is in line with the OP on MCF so i do not know what may be missing.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Moving to tech-support.
WarChicken

Post by WarChicken »

There is only one other MOD installed, and that's journey map.
But yeah, since it uses a slightly changed Modloader - maybe that's the cause. I'll try that and let you know in a few minutes.
Also Singleplayer only - didn't play BTW in SMP, yet.

@FlowerChild Sorry and thanks - I wasn't sure where exactly I should post that, so I used the general section.

EDIT:
So, I removed the JourneyMap mod and replaced the modified ModLoader with Risugamis original one.
Re-installed BTW 4.00 as well - no change.

I'll now delete the Minceraft.jar and install everything from scratch. I'll let you know how that turnes out.
EDIT2: Minecraft.net spazzes right now. I'm still trying to redownload...
WarChicken

Post by WarChicken »

So. Overnight the download finally worked.
But it didn't help. On my machine it just doesn't want to create a blood wood sapling :(

Anyone care to make one yourself and tell me exactly what you did to make it work?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Post a picture of your Stewing Pot.
WarChicken

Post by WarChicken »

Okay.

This is my Stewing pot. 9 lit neterrack under the pot, all covered from the rain by a smal cobblestone hut:

And that is what's in the stewing pot:

Everything else works fine with that pot. I can make Dynamite from sand and gunpowder, cook food, tan leather. Everything except a Blood Wood sapling.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

EDIT 2: Yeah scratch that, I was wrong... I don't know what it could be, I apologize if I was being misleading.

Did you try it in another stewing pot by any chance? I don't know if it would help, but it's worth a shot just to see if it's repeatable or a unique case.
Last edited by Ribky on Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ribky wrote:EDIT: Wait... the wiki says otherwise.... is my memory failing me?
Yes :)
WarChicken

Post by WarChicken »

Ribky wrote:Did you try it in another stewing pot by any chance? I don't know if it would help, but it's worth a shot just to see if it's repeatable or a unique case.
Yep. I have a stroked Stewing pot, where I shut the bellows off and tested it there. Same outcome.
I even took the Pot to the nether to try it there. Nothing.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I'd really recommend a reinstall of the mod over a fresh copy of MC man. I can't see where this might be going wrong, and usually when that happens it's a result of someone's install being corrupt.

I'm not sure why that occurs from time to time, but it definitely does happen to people.
eternalankh

Post by eternalankh »

I'm not really familiar with that texture pack, but are you sure that is nether wart SEEDS and not the actual crop? I'm not sure if there is any legitimate way to obtain the crop itself, but from your pic it does look more like the plant. Just started up a new world with TMI and confirmed that the plant won't work, so that could be your problem.
WarChicken

Post by WarChicken »

Seed and crop is the same for Netherwarts.

Interesting thing - I started a new game in creative mode on the same install.
I quickly built a stewing pot and put in the saplings, the wart and the urn and - voala: it works.
Seems like my original savegame is corrupt somehow :/

Thanks for the effort everyone, tho.
I guess I'll quickly change to creative, deduct the materials and simply add that sapling this way.
Last edited by WarChicken on Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

eternalankh wrote:I'm not really familiar with that texture pack, but are you sure that is nether wart SEEDS and not the actual crop? I'm not sure if there is any legitimate way to obtain the crop itself, but from your pic it does look more like the plant. Just started up a new world with TMI and confirmed that the plant won't work, so that could be your problem.
Oooo...good call.

I like you already :)
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

delete
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
RezDev

Post by RezDev »

eternalankh wrote:I'm not really familiar with that texture pack, but are you sure that is nether wart SEEDS and not the actual crop? I'm not sure if there is any legitimate way to obtain the crop itself, but from your pic it does look more like the plant. Just started up a new world with TMI and confirmed that the plant won't work, so that could be your problem.

Texture pack is Painterly, and you appear to be correct.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

@Warchicken: Given the above, I'd like to reemphasize the point about you using the netherwart plant instead of the seeds.

I have no idea how you got your hands on the plant (maybe silk touch or an inventory editor), but it *IS NOT* the same item as the seeds, and since as far as I know only the seeds can be legitimately harvested in game, THAT is what the recipe works with.
WarChicken

Post by WarChicken »

I'll verify that in a jiffy...

EDIT: Holy Porcupine Batman, you guys are right! I aquired the Netherwart using the /give command after getting stuck for three hours in the nether looking for a netherfortress and then not finding the exit again. Seems like it gave me juvenile warts. But I can grow them by just planting and harvesting them.

Very good catch eternalankh and sorry for me being dismissive about that so quickly.
And yes, RezDev, that's a Painterly Pack.
HaloGamefreek

Post by HaloGamefreek »

WTF. Really you wasted everyones time for that?!? You couldnt just say outright that you cheated??!!?? If you just said that in the first place you wouldnt have stolen FlowerChild or anyone elses time. If you dont want to play legitimately then why not just play creative?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

HaloGamefreek wrote:WTF. Really you wasted everyones time for that?!? You couldnt just say outright that you cheated??!!?? If you just said that in the first place you wouldnt have stolen FlowerChild or anyone elses time. If you dont want to play legitimately then why not just play creative?
Chill out man. It was an honest mistake and he was nice about it.
WarChicken

Post by WarChicken »

Uh, Sorry Mr. HaloGameFreak.
You don't think I already learned my lesson here?

So just to clarify: I appreciate and am grateful for everyone that tried to help and I am really sorry it was a stupid mistake on my side in the end.
I didn't cheat, because I'm a cheating cheater who cheats all the time - I went on a wide search in the nether that returned nothing except me getting lost for several hours unable to find my portal again. That's where I gave up and cheated 8 Netherwarts once I was able to return. I could have simply cheated a whole forest of Blood Wood Saplings, but I wanted to keep it as legit as possible.
HaloGamefreek

Post by HaloGamefreek »

I overreacted man. Im sorry. I understand the frustration. For me it seems that if I dont enter my portal right near a stronghold i never find one. I dont really like the in game commands. I havent fully accepted them yet and it bugged me that you didnt mention using them. All in all I think I came off a little strong...
WarChicken

Post by WarChicken »

No problem. We all have our strong and weak minutes.
Now, that I know that the /give command gives crap if I don't use the subitem value I'm not going to use it again either.
If I really positively must cheat something, what really rarely happenes, I'll just switch gamemode for a minute.
I did that earlier today, when I did some terraforming before starting a survival game, just to look if and how it works. Works like a charm.