Why Sponges are out?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Donzaffi

Why Sponges are out?

Post by Donzaffi »

I always was wondering why they throw them out, or there functionallity, perhabs some of you that play minecraft since Alpha know more about this, I know this isn't MCF but there is usally impossible to get an answer now.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
Elevatator

Re: Why Sponges are out?

Post by Elevatator »

I don´t know, but I like them, and their functions
Maybe it was just too easy to remove water in underwaterbases.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
AngelWithDirtyHands

Post by AngelWithDirtyHands »

I guess Mojang just want to make it difficult to get valuable items from the seafloor. Oh, wait...
Spoiler
Show
Zen Proclivities wrote:Much obliged to all your devilish details FC.
...except for Hardcore Bucket, that one is a bitch. But such is life, and life says work for it you pussy.
DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

I'd hazard that was their reason for getting rid of them. They are still in the code (as of 1.2.5) but their power has been removed. Personally, I like the hazards involved in underwater building. Make a tunnel from land fill it, break blocks, fill it, break blocks, swim out and make a small mound, return to tunnel, back out to expand mound, back to tunnel, dig into mound and cap, pray you can breathe, hollow out mound, layers layers layers...
AngelWithDirtyHands:
I guess Mojang just want to make it difficult to get valuable items from the seafloor. Oh, wait...
The sea is the single most underused thing in MC...
FlowerChild wrote:I'm drawing a line in the soul sand.
finite8 wrote:Give me all your diamonds and your enchanted gear or your base is going to resemble a Chunk Error.
haphazardnuke

Post by haphazardnuke »

Part of the reason is that they were made when water's physics were different. Water was naturally infinite, flowing as full source blocks. Notch put in sponges to simplify drying out flooded areas, and when he modified water to it's current form, they became irrelevant.

Minecraft Classic was the easiest way to see them in action, but that version has been removed from minecraft.net.
PizzaSHARK wrote:It's fun trying to quietly assassinate your kids and family members
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

I once spent a long time filling and then breaking thousands of blocks within a 50x300 block wide ship with three decks underwater. It was RIDICULOUSLY tedious.

Then, the next day I found out what the spongers were for...
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

Okay, if I understood well, the code is in,
sponges are in (but useless).
They are on the upcoming feature page, why not assign the code again ?

Its too much for me simply don't understand the reason.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
mattizcool

Post by mattizcool »

haphazardnuke wrote:Part of the reason is that they were made when water's physics were different. Water was naturally infinite, flowing as full source blocks. Notch put in sponges to simplify drying out flooded areas, and when he modified water to it's current form, they became irrelevant.

Minecraft Classic was the easiest way to see them in action, but that version has been removed from minecraft.net.
Minecraft Classic was removed? What rock have I been under?
FlowerChild wrote:Hookers and blow! WOOT!!!!
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

mattizcool wrote:
haphazardnuke wrote:Part of the reason is that they were made when water's physics were different. Water was naturally infinite, flowing as full source blocks. Notch put in sponges to simplify drying out flooded areas, and when he modified water to it's current form, they became irrelevant.

My reaction exactly, what the hell did they do that for? It was some great nostalgia.
mattizcool

Post by mattizcool »

Sandrew wrote:
mattizcool wrote:

My reaction exactly, what the hell did they do that for? It was some great nostalgia.
I know right? Too bad the official demo is out...
FlowerChild wrote:Hookers and blow! WOOT!!!!
haphazardnuke

Post by haphazardnuke »

mattizcool wrote: Minecraft Classic was removed? What rock have I been under?
Yeah, I know how you feel. I actually only discovered this sad fact when I decided to check the page before mentioning it.
I think just about everyone from beta and before learned to love minecraft via Classic. First dose's always free, you know.

Why sponges are on the upcoming features list... no idea.
As I mentioned, the way they worked back then wouldn't fit too well with how water works nowadays, especially since water is technically finite now (infinite wells aside). flooding is rarely permanent anymore.

That being said, I miss them too. RIP Classic and sponges.
PizzaSHARK wrote:It's fun trying to quietly assassinate your kids and family members
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Ahh god... Minecraft classic... So many hours... :)
There was a games server that I was admin on for a while, and we'd host lava survival/zombies survival games. I used to make some starting maps for both game types. That's what got me hooked on Minecraft. I played classic for months, then finally bought minecraft a couple weeks before the Halloween update
ignika42

Post by ignika42 »

Don't know what you guys are talking about saying classic was removed, its right here: http://www.minecraft.net/classic/play

It was just hiding
A madman sat in his empire of dust and ashes. Little knowing of the glory he would achieve. Far away, the idiots and fools dreamt of a shining new future. A future now doomed to never happen.
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

Classic has gotten more and more hidden over time, but currently, though it "is not officially supported" it is still playable from minecraft.net.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
duartemad

Post by duartemad »

danielngtiger wrote:Classic has gotten more and more hidden over time, but currently, though it "is not officially supported" it is still playable from minecraft.net.
My guess is mojang is still hungry for money, players dont see the tag they think it is gone and then they buy the game to keep playing it.
FlowerChild wrote:
Ph1il93 wrote:and it seems 1.4.6 is comming.
Excuse me for a moment while I say:

Fuck.
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

Or they just think that the demo makes a better pic of the game. You can play the game as long as you want, you just need to create a new map every 5 Days.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Sponges still exist, they are just called signs now.
duartemad

Post by duartemad »

Elevatator wrote:Or they just think that the demo makes a better pic of the game. You can play the game as long as you want, you just need to create a new map every 5 Days.
Why hide classic so much then? :/
FlowerChild wrote:
Ph1il93 wrote:and it seems 1.4.6 is comming.
Excuse me for a moment while I say:

Fuck.