How to Build an Enderman Farm?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
MaxAstro

How to Build an Enderman Farm?

Post by MaxAstro »

For starters, I HATE Endermen. In a good way, actually, they are the most frustrating mob to kill but somehow that makes them fun.

So, how does one build an overworld mob trap that can kill Endermen? I'm afraid I have no ideas at all here, I wouldn't even know where to start... My normal traps use water streams to funnel monsters into the kill zone, which makes Endermen teleport away of course.

I had considered a falling trap, but would the Endermen teleport away from the collection stream at the bottom before they actually hit the ground? Would I need some kind of timed collection stream?

I'm hoping there is simple answer I am missing because Ender Pearls have a low drop rate; in my entire time playing Minecraft I have seen ONE. -_-
"In the near future, the apocalypse has had an apocalypse."
Rianaru

Re: How to Build an Enderman Farm?

Post by Rianaru »

You can use a piston system such that when Endermen spawn, they hit a pressure plate which then pushes a piston that pushes the Endermen to a drop, where they land on a line of hoppers for collection. There's a bunch of tutorials on youtube, except most of them dont have the hoppers at the bottom, but they're no trouble at all to add.
Hope this helps :)
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

Another thing you can do is make a fall trap with a 1 or 2 block wide floor at the bottom that can be opened by pistons, and have a water flow beneath the floor. Have a lens/DB setup to detect when anything touches the floor, and open the floor. This way, Endermen fall, hit the floor, and die, and then the floor opens up for a second to drop their items into a water flow, to be sorted however you please. (it also lets you collect their dragon orbs, which you can't really do with a hopper floor, even a powered hopper floor. Though a powered hopper floor would at least let you collect their items in one place)

One thing though: This method does become somewhat unreliable if you have a large amount of Endermen going through it, as some might fall while the floor is still open from a previous Enderman. But if it's on the overworld, that shouldn't be a problem.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
The Phoenixian

Post by The Phoenixian »

Another option, more for humor than practicality, is that you can calculate exactly how far Endermen can teleport [32 blocks on the x and z axis, farther on the y axis] and then build your mob trap and fill in all nearby caves with cement such that the only places they can escape to on hitting the water stream is back onto a platform where they are likely to fall in again. (Although if you're building in the End this should be easier.)

From there all you need is to make sure that all your water streams in the mob trap route the enderpearls & dragon orbs that fall in them into the kill/collection chamber.

You could always use the more practical options of course but go on... they messed up your landscape: Torture them to death.
♪ The screams of the souls of the damned and dying,
Fuels for me, the Industry. ♪
lordserapis

Post by lordserapis »

Personaly, I wuld use a checkerboard pattern of vinetraps and floors, with a drop long enough to kill them when they hit the bottom.

One can then have water flow hooked up to a timer to run every 4 minutes or so, to funnel pearls into a hopper.
If you want to get anything done in this country, you've gotta complain until you'r blue in the mouth.
-John Cleese
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

You can use pisons to create a conveyor belt of sorts. My current testing design uses fences and blocks with a layer of thin blocks like handcranks, anchors or soulsand above them, but I'm also thinking about a design which would use either fence gates and full blocks or another one which would use mouldings(with different rotations).

This way you can let all of the endermen fall down gently and then convey them softly into the warm embrace of your friendly slaughtering machine. That pro of this setup is that all of stuff can simply fall into water to be filtered and stored as you wish, the con is that the setup is quite convulted/complicated to set up.

I tried the teleport method, but it was highly unsatisfactory and very hard to pull off properly. Although giving it some more thought, I might try to do it again, but the problem is that the rules for teleporting are different than the rules for spawning and the enders will teleport mostly everywhere, I haven't tested for half-slabs properly at the time as the island my trap was above was a grassy oasis which was helld to build and which I didn't want to tear down. But I really ought to test again.