Hardcore grinding and beds!

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Hardcore grinding and beds!

Post by Sarudak »

So just for kicks I decided to make this myself.

All this does is remove the crafting recipes for sugar, bonemeal, and bread.

I was going to remove blaze powder too because I thought there was a millstone recipe for it but there isn't.

I think I may add that next. I think this is interesting because it makes things just a tad more difficult/complex. You need to think about do I want bones or bonemeal since conversion to bonemeal is no longer a trivial process. (This also makes early game farming a tad harder) Same for sugar especially if you're setting up an automated farm. And it may encourage toggleable outputs which is cool. Also I like the idea of needing a millstone in your potion making area. It's almost as cool as having a mortar and pestle around. :)

Anyway it's not too exciting and it's a bit of a work in progress but if anyone likes the idea and wants to try it out feel free. Just drop it straight off in your jar. Just make sure you backup your saves. Oh and this edits base classes but shouldn't conflict with modloader or better than wolves. Cheers! :)

Here's the download link!

And per flower's request here's a version that makes it so that power providing objects (levers, buttons, pressure plates) all require redstone in their construction. Unfortunately there's nothing I can do about the Better than Wolves high efficiency recipes. They're basically what you would expect the button is a stone with a redstone underneath. The pressure plates are like normal but with a redstone underneath and the lever is like normal but with a redstone coming off the side.

Here's the download link! This download includes hardcore grinding.

And now from the man who brought you the extremely simple mod hardcore grinding comes hardcore beds. An even simpler mod that makes beds purely cosmetic. Now you will be forced to go out at night under threat of extreme boredom! No more can long overland expeditions be trivialized by a bed in your pocket. Feel good about the railway you built to get out to your distant base after you die!

Here's the download link!
Last edited by Sarudak on Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
jorgebonafe

Re: Hardcore grinding!

Post by jorgebonafe »

Cool little mod... I think I'll use this :)
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Well glad to hear someone likes the idea :)
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

I like this actually. More so now that I'm imagining crushing sugar cane into grains of sugar by hand and it seems painful. Screw that, throw it in the mill.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Hope you like it. Also it turns out the millstone recipes are currently hardcoded so I can't add blaze rods -> blaze powder.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Hope you like it. Also it turns out the millstone recipes are currently hardcoded so I can't add blaze rods -> blaze powder.
Yeah, I've got to change that soon. It's on my todo list :)

And nice job taking an idea like this and running with it man. Very cool.
sky_demon

Post by sky_demon »

Awesome stuff :) i really like this little mod. I'm totaly using it. Good job. Keep up with good ideas ;)
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Very cute idea :D
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

Oh man this is good stuff. Simple changes like this really do a lot for the feel of the game. Will be trying this in my new world soon :D
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Heh, nice :)
I do feel like a good amount of the merit in this comes from the steps it makes you take toward automation. Now, instead of just crafting sugar, you actually have to put it through this process. That would lead into water streams around the hopper for collection, a hopper collecting the drops, maybe even a basic automated reed farm feeding it! While I can't say for certain that BTW would be significantly better with this, it is a shame it's not in officially ;)
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

I will use it (once I finally update MC ;) )
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Sounds like its a pretty cool little change. I'll be sure to try it out.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Wow guys I really appreciate all the positive responses. Didn't know everyone would like it so much. :)
Azdoine

Post by Azdoine »

I am totally in love with this, man.
Definitely a change I support :)
obl1terat1ion

Post by obl1terat1ion »

yes! i have always want something like this!
FlowerChild wrote:Can't make an omelet without blowing up a few chickens.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Are you taking suggestions?
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

jorgebonafe wrote:Are you taking suggestions?

If I like it... :)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

I was thinking that if you're going that "hardcore recipes" path, you could make other "hardcore" recipe changes to basic craft bench stuff, not just with grinding... Like pressing reeds with pistons to get paper or stuff like that, you know
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

jorgebonafe wrote:I was thinking that if you're going that "hardcore recipes" path, you could make other "hardcore" recipe changes to basic craft bench stuff, not just with grinding... Like pressing reeds with pistons to get paper or stuff like that, you know
I was thinking about something with paper. I don't think pushing with pistons would be very practical though. My idea was to make grinding sugarcane give a different product that you need to process further to separate the sugar from the fibers. Sadly I can't change what sugarcane grinds to so I'm not sure if that's practical either. I would like to do some more maybe but it will be more complex than simply deleting a couple lines of code. :)

Also added hardcore beds.
DreamsofFury

Re: Hardcore grinding and beds!

Post by DreamsofFury »

Just snaged this for the fun of it, thanks for making the bed part separate....while sometimes I work through the night anyways theres some times I would rather skip the night.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Sarudak wrote:
jorgebonafe wrote:I was thinking that if you're going that "hardcore recipes" path, you could make other "hardcore" recipe changes to basic craft bench stuff, not just with grinding... Like pressing reeds with pistons to get paper or stuff like that, you know
I was thinking about something with paper. I don't think pushing with pistons would be very practical though. My idea was to make grinding sugarcane give a different product that you need to process further to separate the sugar from the fibers. Sadly I can't change what sugarcane grinds to so I'm not sure if that's practical either. I would like to do some more maybe but it will be more complex than simply deleting a couple lines of code. :)

Also added hardcore beds.
Yeah, that was just an example. I just mean anything that can be done with a process of its own its more f un then just sticking it in a craft bench.

Also, like FC said, he's adding hooks for that eventually, so that's not a problem, you'll just have to wait a bit.

By the way, hardcore beds, you should consider adding an alternate, albeit harder, way to set the spawn point. At leas I think that if that was impossible it would make a possibly fun aspect of the game just boring. I wouldn't for example, make a base very far from spawn if it was completely impossible to set the spawn point... Imagine riding 10+ km every time you die, even in mine carts...
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

jorgebonafe wrote: Yeah, that was just an example. I just mean anything that can be done with a process of its own its more f un then just sticking it in a craft bench.

Also, like FC said, he's adding hooks for that eventually, so that's not a problem, you'll just have to wait a bit.
Yes well that's basically the idea of what I was doing. If you had a specific idea that might be helpful but it feels kinda like your suggestion amounts to 'do more of what you're doing but bigger and better'.
jorgebonafe wrote: By the way, hardcore beds, you should consider adding an alternate, albeit harder, way to set the spawn point. At leas I think that if that was impossible it would make a possibly fun aspect of the game just boring. I wouldn't for example, make a base very far from spawn if it was completely impossible to set the spawn point... Imagine riding 10+ km every time you die, even in mine carts...
Maybe. But that would require significantly more work and I think significantly more editing of base classes. Really though. Don't die? Think of it like a more forgiving version of hardcore mode. Dying *should* be punishing. Also 10km really isn't that far. Especially if you have a nether railway. <shrugs>
Anbaric

Post by Anbaric »

You could always make it so you have to make the bed on an anvil with wool slabs, sidings, and corners.
Things about me.
Show
1: I hate all updates past 1.2.5. Server lag in SP?!?
2: I've never made it to SFS.
3:
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Anbaric wrote:You could always make it so you have to make the bed on an anvil with wool slabs, sidings, and corners.
I could. But I'm not going to. That's not very hardcore.
Anbaric

Post by Anbaric »

Sarudak wrote:
Anbaric wrote:You could always make it so you have to make the bed on an anvil with wool slabs, sidings, and corners.
I could. But I'm not going to. That's not very hardcore.
I guess not, but I have no other ideas. :P
Things about me.
Show
1: I hate all updates past 1.2.5. Server lag in SP?!?
2: I've never made it to SFS.
3: