good luck FC!

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
ada221

good luck FC!

Post by ada221 »

seeing as 1.3 has been released and there have been huge changes to the code base as predicted, i would like to wish you luck while updating the mod, dude!

i love this mod and frankly (other than multiplayer with close friends) it is the only reason i play minecraft anymore, this mod puts a deranged murderous grin on my face. You have to put up with alot of crap and i highly respect you for not just giving up like many would do under the asault of inumerable trolls and haters.

good luck!

-ada221
-I stopped playing Minecraft a long time ago; BTW is its own game to me

-even after these forums are gone, as long as I have the files, I will continue to play Better than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: good luck FC!

Post by FlowerChild »

Thanks man! Much obliged!

Yeah, it's definitely a shit-ton of work that I'm facing, and frankly, it's probably the biggest dose of drudgery I've ever had to deal with in making the mod. I appreciate the support :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I don't think any luck will be involved. Will be mostly just blood sweat and tears but all of our best wishes are with him.

EDIT: Ninja'd by the man himself
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:I don't think any luck will be involved. Will be mostly just blood sweat and tears but all of our best wishes are with him.

EDIT: Ninja'd by the man himself
Well, I think the luck comes in with regards to exactly the way Mojang has changed things, and how difficult it makes my life.

Not really luck I guess, as that's an already existing state of affairs. It just has the perception of luck given I haven't dug into it much yet, and don't know exactly what I'm facing ;)
ada221

Post by ada221 »

well, if I want to be technical i meant "good luck" as a general synoymistic(is that a word?) phrase of goodwill, not nessicarily (but possibly) with actual luck involved.... lol I just confused myself with such a simple phrase....

edit: wow I cant spell...
Last edited by ada221 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-even after these forums are gone, as long as I have the files, I will continue to play Better than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

ada221 wrote:well, if i want to be technical i meant "good luck" as a general synonmistic(is that a word?) phrase of goodwill, not nesciarily (but possibly) with actual luck involved.... lol i just confused myself with such a simple phrase....
It's appreciated as such :)

I just wanted to respond to Sarudak's post, as right now, my view of the future with regards to this thing isn't entirely deterministic as of yet given all the unknowns involved ;)

I did just notice however that an official release of MCP for 1.3.1 is up (yesterday, it was just a pre-release, so I was a bit hesitant to dive in).

Guess it's time for me to get started on this mess. See you guys on the flip-side.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Seconded. Ganbatte!(Japanese for good luck)
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote: I just wanted to respond to Sarudak's post, as right now, my view of the future with regards to this thing isn't entirely deterministic as of yet given all the unknowns involved ;)
What you're saying is there's a bit of Schrödinger's cat minecraft update going on? ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:What you're saying is there's a bit of Schrödinger's cat minecraft update going on? ;)
Pretty much. Currently, the state of the mod exists in a series of boxes, which until open, I can only classify the whole thing as "undead" :)

Which actually gives me an idea for a comical take on a zombie outbreak: Scientist tries to literally reproduce Schrodinger's cat, the probability distribution doesn't collapse due to whatever circumstances, and the cat winds up being undead.

But I digress...procrastination is a bitch ;)
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

I wish you quick coding, and pleasant surprises. I hope it will not drain you too badly.

Also, Schrodinger's Cat is in a transcendant state of mortality. /fakephilosphy
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

Just wanted to join with the well-wishers. I would've switched off Minecraft a long time ago if it weren't for your work, FC. Thanks again.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote: But I digress...procrastination is a bitch ;)
Really? Procrastination has been a good friend of mine for years!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

In pressing update news:

I just handed out my first pastry on MCF ;)
Ethazeriel

Post by Ethazeriel »

Yeah, I hope everything goes as well as it can. Take as long as you need, we're all happy to stay with 1.2.5 and without the glitchy SMP mobs for as long as it takes.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

FlowerChild wrote:In pressing update news:

Banana creme?
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

FlowerChild wrote:In pressing update news:

The tastiest part of the process. I approve! :)

In other news, best of luck with the process. I hope it goes well!
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

FlowerChild wrote: I just handed out my first pastry on MCF ;)
Say what ? I don't seem to have that English language's knowledge...

Anyway, what matters is you not getting crazy during the tedious updating process you're facing !
As said by others : good luck :-)
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gormador wrote: Say what ? I don't seem to have that English language's knowledge...
Miss Kat suggested many versions ago that update-pesters be responded to with pastries. It's been a tradition on the BTW MCF thread ever since ;)
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Oooh ! Ok, I get it !
Don't you think it might encourage them ? (Or us, for that matter ^^)
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gormador wrote:Oooh ! Ok, I get it !
Don't you think it might encourage them ? (Or us, for that matter ^^)
It turns something annoying into something amusing and fun which the regulars of the thread get into.

It's a lot more pleasant than people constantly bitching back and forth. There's really nothing useful that can be said in response to pesters, but people will inevitably feel compelled to respond hostilely regardless. It rapidly turns into a total drag, especially as the days begin to stretch on.

Take a look at the Modloader MCF thread, and you'll see what happens to a thread without pastries. There's already an epic dose of it going on there.
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

I feel sorry for mod developers when updates happen, more so on this update due to all the changes to vMC. I hope everything goes smoothly and you can avoid anymore skinned knees.

pastry is overrated, it's all about chocolate chip cookies!
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

destineternel wrote:I hope everything goes smoothly and you can avoid anymore skinned knees.
<sniff>
TheFlame52

Post by TheFlame52 »

I'm hungry. updat updat updat updat updat updat updat updat

In all seriousness, best of luck updating to 1.3! I hope you can fix all the things Mojang rebroke!
Marasambala wrote:
Eriottosan wrote:Is there a word for feeling utter pleasure but immense terror at the same time? If so, that's the word I'm looking for!
Love
ada221

Post by ada221 »

TheFlame52 wrote:I hope you can fix all the things Mojang rebroke!
+1

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

FUCK!!!!!

Sigh...

Ok, remember that whole client/server merger/separation thing?

Well, it looks like they didn't actually do it. There are still separate versions of the same files in both the client and server, and while I was hoping these were just duplicates...they're not.

They still have different functionality in each, and it leaves me really wondering what the fuck they were thinking.

Jesus H Christ...

For the coders out there, take a look at the two versions of Block.java for an idea of what I mean. It's the first place I looked.