Discussion about a Suggestion i want to make for vanilla

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Donzaffi

Discussion about a Suggestion i want to make for vanilla

Post by Donzaffi »

First of all, i want to ask this here in the BTW forum at first, because I am pissed of of MCF. I only want to ask what you think about the idea guys.

My idea is to suggest changing silverfish spawning to spawn in specific chunks like slimes to make of them a possible hazard when mining diamonds etc.

So someone that has a mine still muust be caution when building shafts.

What you guys think, should I post it in MCF or not.?
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Discussion about a Suggestion i want to make for vanilla

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok, I like the idea of additional hazards during mining, but I don't like this one because I don't like Silverfish as a mob :)

The "classic" MC monsters are all archetypes. You have the melee mob. You have the ranged mob. You have the climb over walls mob. You have the kamikaze mob.

If I were to try and apply an archetype to Silverfish, I'd call it the "Russian Roulette mob" :)

Pretty much every other mob in MC can be avoided either through observation or through taking preventative measures. The same can be said of other mining hazards like lava or flooding.

With Silverfish though, they just kinda happen, and there's not a bloody thing you can do about it. So really, I just don't see what you were saying about people being cautious during mining with this idea.

To me, they're extremely poorly designed, and really serve no purpose whatsoever other than to get the player to switch to a weapon, left-click a couple of times, and keep going. To me, they were more symptomatic of a designer bored with their own game than anything else, and their depth basically ends with them looking kinda cool.
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

FlowerChild wrote:
To me, they're extremely poorly designed, and really serve no purpose whatsoever other than to get the player to switch to a weapon, left-click a couple of times, and keep going. To me, they were more symptomatic of a designer bored with their own game than anything else, and their depth basically ends with them looking kinda cool.
My idea behind it was that this gave them a surprising effect and if the silverfish block was a celling block the possibility of collapsing mineshafts ( if there was gravel behind the block)

And with the " to be cautions " i mean that one can avoid the blocks because as I know they are easier and faster to mine (or did it change, long ago that i was in my stronghold its to far away)

Edit: And sorry for my English, I know its terrible
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

They used to take slightly longer to mine and thus a player who paid attention could avoid them. But I did see something about a bug fix or change to how long they take to mine some time ago by Dinnerbone.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

You can still figure out if a block is silverfish-infested by trying to break it by hand. Silverfish blocks (ID 97, or "Monster Egg" according to the new creative inventory in the snapshots) can be broken very quickly by hand, unlike the stone blocks.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Katalliaan wrote:You can still figure out if a block is silverfish-infested by trying to break it by hand. Silverfish blocks (ID 97, or "Monster Egg" according to the new creative inventory in the snapshots) can be broken very quickly by hand, unlike the stone blocks.
This isn't a feasible detection-method man.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Mining them with a silk touch pick will prevent them from spawning unless my memory fails me? And the block won't stack with the non-infected ones so you can tell it's a silver fish block.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Ruinous

Post by Ruinous »

Donzaffi wrote:My idea is to suggest changing silverfish spawning to spawn in specific chunks like slimes to make of them a possible hazard when mining diamonds etc.
Flower Child wrote:To me, they're extremely poorly designed, and really serve no purpose whatsoever other than to get the player to switch to a weapon, left-click a couple of times, and keep going. To me, they were more symptomatic of a designer bored with their own game than anything else, and their depth basically ends with them looking kinda cool.
I gotta say I like the silverfish, perhaps not as a mob, but as a general hazard that come from out of the blue, a kind of spreading taint around the silverfish spawner. Their mobbing spawn/attack technique is also an interesting variation from the others mobs ai as well. IMHO It is a shame the spawns are only ever found in one place, and outside of BTW, we have precious little reason to go there. I really really like the idea of having to manage silverfish spawns & infection as a byproduct of some other process, apart from trasitioning to the end, we arent going to have to interact with them. Part of my like of silvefish come from that nifty vMC silverfish miner, I'm not sure if id want to see anything as game-ist as that actually endorsed by Mojang though.
crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

Silverfish are undoubtedly boring mobs. However, your idea is a pretty feasible one at best. Maybe the silverfish should be a tad harder to kill because the only thing that makes them dangerous are their numbers. Throwing potions at them really makes them push-overs. I say post it. I'm tired of avoiding mobs by digging tunnels and placing torches all over the place.
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

I have to agree with FC. there's nothing more irritating in a game than something you absolutely cannot do something about. You can try and outsmart all the mobs but no matter what you do, you cannot outsmart a silverfish that are in random blocks throughout the world. There are a lot of other games I could play if I didn't want to strategize or think. New mobs though, I'm Down with that.
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".