Iron Golems drop XP

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Splee999

Iron Golems drop XP

Post by Splee999 »

As I was using my shiny new golem farm, I was surprised to see that the golem wasn't dropping any XP. It seems natural for the golems to start dropping XP so they can match up with the villagers they defend. Also, they're pretty tough to kill, so if any mob should drop experience, it should be the iron golem.

Thanks,

Splee999
Gargantuan_Penguin

Re: Iron Golems drop XP

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

Perhaps The golem has no soul? And I thought that golems did drop XP.. I guess I was wrong.
And HOW!
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Ehh... but why? There are so many other constructive ways to get xp, and this is truly more of a vMC kind of suggestion.

Maybe iron golems just don't drop it because they aren't alive (or unliving...), they're machines.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
Splee999

Post by Splee999 »

Ribky wrote:Ehh... but why? There are so many other constructive ways to get xp, and this is truly more of a vMC kind of suggestion.

Maybe iron golems just don't drop it because they aren't alive (or unliving...), they're machines.
On the other hand, the recent snapshots indicate that mining ores and smelting items will yield experience. Perhaps the orbs don't represent fragments of souls that Steve harvests, maybe they indicate an external force or knowledge Steve gains from performing certain actions.
Six

Post by Six »

I think flavor-wise it makes sense for a golem to not have a soul, but mechanics-wise they don't drop xp for the same reason snow golems don't drop xp. You could make them yourself and just farm the xp from them.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Splee999 wrote:
On the other hand, the recent snapshots indicate that mining ores and smelting items will yield experience. Perhaps the orbs don't represent fragments of souls that Steve harvests, maybe they indicate an external force or knowledge Steve gains from performing certain actions.
Which would mean that the experience was gained in the process of smelting all that iron ;)
The spice must flow...

Splee999

Post by Splee999 »

Rikby wrote:Which would mean that the experience was gained in the process of smelting all that iron ;)
...Unless you let the testificates do it for you...
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Silly people. You get XP from smelting iron because you are smelting the souls OUT of the iron. XP orbs make for weak iron because they're weak souls that couldn't make it to the nether. You need to get them out of the iron to get good iron, and replace them with nether souls to get the good stuff.

Similarly, you don't get "experience" from mining certain ores. The process of mining involves removing these impurities from what you are mining,

Up until now, steve hadn't perfected his mining and smelting operations, and the soul-based impurities in the ores were essentially lost in the process of purifying the ore. Now he's figured out how to extract the soul impurities into orbs, and gain a useful byproduct.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Six

Post by Six »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Silly people. You get XP from smelting iron because you are smelting the souls OUT of the iron. XP orbs make for weak iron because they're weak souls that couldn't make it to the nether. You need to get them out of the iron to get good iron, and replace them with nether souls to get the good stuff.

Similarly, you don't get "experience" from mining certain ores. The process of mining involves removing these impurities from what you are mining,

Up until now, steve hadn't perfected his mining and smelting operations, and the soul-based impurities in the ores were essentially lost in the process of purifying the ore. Now he's figured out how to extract the soul impurities into orbs, and gain a useful byproduct.
You know, I thought the smelting and mining xp was kind of silly, and I thought it wouldn't mesh with the lore BTW is creating. But this, this I like.
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Silly people. You get XP from smelting iron because you are smelting the souls OUT of the iron. XP orbs make for weak iron because they're weak souls that couldn't make it to the nether. You need to get them out of the iron to get good iron, and replace them with nether souls to get the good stuff.

I like to think that the endermans are in the overworld to colect souls(dragon orbs) for the enderdragon, but they are not perfect and miss some of the souls. those souls enter the terrain and they agglomerate in the ores.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

So yeah, in other words... no XP from iron golems. Either you got the XP from pulling souls from the smelted iron, or the dumbscrew testificates who created them made them without the knowledge to collect the souls coming out of the iron.

Snow golems on the other hand....
The spice must flow...

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ribky wrote: Snow golems on the other hand....
Don't exist. Whenever they are even mentioned, I put my fingers in my ears and scream "LA LA LA!" to drown it out.
Six

Post by Six »

FlowerChild wrote:
Don't exist. Whenever they are even mentioned, I put my fingers in my ears and scream "LA LA LA!" to drown it out.
Biomes is hard. Let's code snow golems!
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

FlowerChild wrote: Don't exist. Whenever they are even mentioned, I put my fingers in my ears and scream "LA LA LA!" to drown it out.
I dunno... I'm no cryptozoologist... but the evidence stands for itself.
Spoiler
Show
The spice must flow...

jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Ribky wrote:I dunno... I'm no cryptozoologist... but the evidence stands for itself.
Spoiler
Show

The identations all around the body clearly indicate the use of palms to shape the body! Plus, the arms are completely uneven, and look at the head! It was clearly just placed over the body, it is not fixed. If this creature try to move the head will roll down and crash. It is evidently a fake!
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Fake. You obviously just took the tail of a fish and the upper body of a monkey, and just stitched them together. No sane man would believe this.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

FlowerChild wrote:

Hmm, and here I was gonna make a suggestion about making it possible to "mount" snow golems on a block or pedestal or something to act as a kind of automated sentry for anarchy play. Pity FC hates em so much. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

No, the real use of snowmen in anarchy play is to decorate FC's base when he's out.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

The real use of snowmen in anarchy is building them, and pushing them into traps, to say if it is save or not.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

all this talk of snow golems gave me an idea
first I tested to see how a snowman fared against a blaze (badly).
then to see if a dispenser would be able to take snow from a snow generator and make snowmen (it won't, the dispensers fling snowballs instead of making them a block like it does to clay)
then to see if it could even survive in the nether (it can't)

ok, so snowmen have no use in blaze farms...

what about endermen farms?

test 1: can it survive in the end? (yes)
test 2: how do they fare against endermen? (stalemate, the endermen teleport away from the snowballs, and the snowmen react too fast for an enderman to harm them)
test 3: what about the enderdragon? (oh god my poor little snowslaves, it divebombed them and they all died in one hit... they also seem to be unable to target the enderdragon)

conclusion: snowmen are useless against the enderdragon and in enderfarms, also, my test world's end is now a winter wonderland :P)

total conclusion:
yep, completely useless outside of snow farms...
(although, ridiculously OP if snow layers were to hurt endermen...)
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Hahahaha... I love you guys.

Yeah, I admit it... I built the snow golem with my son when it snowed the weekend before Halloween. It's a hoax.

Trust no one. The truth is out there.

Regardless, my initial dislike of XP from iron golems still stands.
The spice must flow...

jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Ribky wrote:Yeah, I admit it... I built the snow golem with my son when it snowed the weekend before Halloween. It's a hoax.
ImageImage
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Heilkaiba

Post by Heilkaiba »

I originally though snow golems would be great for enticing mobs into traps or as sentries around my base, but as they do no damage and can be killed by skeletons, they aren't very effective. Cats with their creeper repelling are much more useful.
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

Snowgolems are used to manufacture snowballs, that's their only use. (piston + pulser)

The benefit from going through the trouble of making an Iron Golem farm is basically infinite Iron in large amounts. That's enough of an incentive imo, adding XP would shift too much away from regular farms...
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."