BD based cart arrival/departure station FIXED for btw 3.61

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
MoRmEnGiL

BD based cart arrival/departure station FIXED for btw 3.61

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

NOTE:
Fixed for BtW 3.61 ^^

New video:
Spoiler
Show
Basically very easy, just invert the main BD and use a sticky piston pushing a powered rail for departing, also change some of the timings a bit.

Hey guys, after some thinking, I decided I want an automatic minecart handling system for my main minecart hub. Now there is virtually zero space for long pez dispencer or other physical cart stacking so I came up with this.

Excuse me for not explaining it in any more detail, but my father is in the hospital (routine operation, nothing to worry about) and I'm not only exhausted, but also with virtually zero time. Hope the video plus video description explains it sufficiently, and please excuse the very poor results,both in filming and video quality.

I did not go with an automatic departure using a detector rail, because I want multiple destinations selectable via an rsnor array.

Old video (deprecated :P)
Spoiler
Show
EDIT: fixed utube tag -_-
Last edited by MoRmEnGiL on Thu May 03, 2012 7:33 am, edited 6 times in total.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Mr_Hosed

Re: BD based minecart arrival/departure station

Post by Mr_Hosed »

I like it! SO much smaller then a Pez dispenser setup and it doesn't use finicky/buggy vanilla mechanics to work. One question. Why use the soul sand block and not just an unpowered rail that you power after selecting the destination? Space? Or will the BD try to suck up the rail?
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

The soulsand is there in case you forget and exit the minecart normaly, if you do, the cart will remain in its place and won't be bumped around. And the bd actually places carts with one wide gap, so a powered rail exactly in front of the BD would be useless.

EDIT: Also, one important thing for me was that the system must not leave a cart on the rails at all, so that you can travel multiple times the same way without bumping into carts already there in your destination.
War..
War never changes.

embirrim

Post by embirrim »

Nice design Morm! I've never been much into minecarts and stuff but this has inspired me! I may give it a go.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Thanks man :]

Heh, it still amazes me how most people seem to not bother with minecarts at all, how do you people go around? :p
War..
War never changes.

Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Thanks man :]

Heh, it still amazes me how most people seem to not bother with minecarts at all, how do you people go around? :p
I just don't TBH. Speed potions work well enough for me and I'd say that overall, they are cheaper.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Andellmere

Post by Andellmere »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Thanks man :]

I walk. No fancy speed potions, no expensive rails and carts, just Steve, a sword, and my own two feet.
Need a combination door? I've got one you can use.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

l live on an island. I go other places by boat.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I live on a small island too. Boats are much much harder to manipulate and more awkward than carts.. Plus they require player interaction, carts are click and go :P Not only that, but I love making complex minecart setups, like the one I'm about to make for my base.

Basically, it will be setup so when I want to go afk, I hop on a cart, press the destination I want, and walk away from the pc, and the cart will take me in the spawner of my choice where I will afk while it does its thing. Minimum hassle.

So far I have my skeleton spawner, zombie spawner and spider spawner connected to the rail network.

The skeleton spawner is modular automatic harvester or xp grinder. But it is setup so, that when you leave, via minecart or ladder to the surface, it auto-reverts back to autogrind mode, so if you ever come back you can go afk right after selecting destination, no need to go there and then switch it back to autogrind mode.

I'm currently doing this for my spider farm too. Boy, handling spiders is much tougher, but I figured everything out. Why am I making a second xp grinder? Spider eyes of course :P

Anyway, my point is, I am lazy, and like building complicated but very practical stuff. My minecart system is integrated with my other systems.
War..
War never changes.

TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Actually, I use the Zeppelin mod, so my boat is way more awesome.

But I actually prefer the minecart solution. I simply haven't had enough reason to make a rail line yet. My last world had one and it was tons of fun.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

I have a large subway system that depended on glitch boosters. It has been abandoned since, but you've inspired me to try fixing it again!

I'd like to know how you setup the BDs to place and remove carts? I don't think I saw them in action in the video.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I'm not quite sure what you mean? The pressure plate is connected directly to the main BD, when you step on it it sends power to it, and it makes it spit a minecart (provided there are any minecarts inside) in the second rail in front of it. Simple.

For sucking the cart back in it is more complicated.

For the main BD, you want it to suck in the cart you used to arrive, but not spit out a cart first. So the power from the detector rail is connected to a piston above the BD and the BD itself. You want the piston to fire first, to block the BD and then the BD which will be unable to spit out a cart. Then the power is cut, which makes the piston retract, and the BD suck the cart back in. You do NOT want this signal inverted.

The side BD is supposed to suck the cart in immediately once you enter it, then spit it out to reset the setup. To do this is extremely simple, just place a torch on the block where the detector rail stands, on the side under the BD. That's it. Make sure though that this torch does not power the line going to the main BD and piston, because as I said you want that signal not inverted.

EDIT: If it is this you meant, you just place minecrts in the BD :P
War..
War never changes.

Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

Just confirming that the BDs and their wiring was in the video was enough. I couldn't tell the carts disappearing and reappering from cuts in the video or glitches.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Yeah, I noticed afterwards that the video was kinda like lagging and skipping frames. Oh well, it was all done in under half an hour, what can you expect..
War..
War never changes.

Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

I don't think there's anything wrong with the video, it's just that there's no animation for carts being placed or sucked up. I've since figured it out.

Have you updated to 3.61 yet? The cart placement is different now, which broke my test rig.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I'm hoping to update later today if I get some time. I doubt it will be hard to fix this setup though.
War..
War never changes.

MoRmEnGiL

Re: BD based cart arrival/departure station (currently broke

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Ok, found some time and fixed this for btw 3.61 ^^

New video in the OP
War..
War never changes.

SterlingRed

Re: BD based cart arrival/departure station FIXED for btw 3.

Post by SterlingRed »

Unfortunately I'm at work and can't watch the vid, but I'm very interested and might adapt the design to my branch mine. It's become rather extensive and I need to be able to call new supplies and return mined materials. This could be useful in handling part of that.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

This is the early form of the player handling station part actually, I'm also planning empty cart handling and (long term) to incorporate storage minecart handling so I don't have to carry stuff around myself.

Thing is, I want to know the exact destinations to plan out the system since I'm low on space, so I cannot complete it just yet :]
War..
War never changes.

Starshifterxen

Post by Starshifterxen »

Ah pez dispensers.... :)

Just wanted to say nice design and well done for making it work again!
Biohazard91X

Post by Biohazard91X »

Quick question, sorry if it's a necro though :P

I'm doing a similiar setup, but how did you stop the BD from placing a the cart on the powered rail just after the soul sand, and place it on the soul sand instead? I can't figure out how, which means it won't launch as there is no block behind it, being on a rail with empty space on each side and all!
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Just update your btw man, 3.61 fixes that bug ;]

EDIT: @Starshifterxen: thanx man, just saw your comment :]
War..
War never changes.

Biohazard91X

Post by Biohazard91X »

Ahhh yeah that's it :D Thanks man, I was sure I'd updated but apparently not :P