Architectural Inspirations for Minecraft

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
TheAnarchitect

Architectural Inspirations for Minecraft

Post by TheAnarchitect »

OK, this is the reverse of the "Show us your builds" thread. Show me what inspires you to build, or that thing you want to build, or even just architecture you dig.

To start us off, I saw this tonight and immediately thought "Minecraft".
Spoiler
Show
More Here: It's not really a good article, but the pics are pretty.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Architectural Inspirations for Minecraft

Post by FlowerChild »

This is pretty much what inspired every action I've taken since I was 16, including Minecraft architecture:
Spoiler
Show
I'm determined to acquire a full-sized replica, if not the original of that sculpture, at some point in my life :)
rhacer

Post by rhacer »

That's very A Clockwork Orange'ish but doesn't look to be from the film.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

rhacer wrote:That's very A Clockwork Orange'ish but doesn't look to be from the film.
No, that's definitely from the film. I pretty much had all the dialog memorized when I was younger, so I know it like the back of my hand.

That's right when Alex breaks into the old woman's house, and right before he beats her to death with that sculpture.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

You and every skyscraper architect ever. I like to refer to architects who design giant penises as having an edifice complex.

So, somewhere in your world is a large voxellated version, yes?
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

Actually, the giant phallus is merely a diversion for the more 'disturbing' paintings in the back :)
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TheAnarchitect wrote: So, somewhere in your world is a large voxellated version, yes?
Actually, aside from my giant mob-trap (which is only the most abstract of phalli), I don't have a single penis in my world.

I tend to reserve that kind of behavior for SMP. A phallus is always best shared with friends ;)
Catox

Post by Catox »

FlowerChild wrote:
TheAnarchitect wrote: So, somewhere in your world is a large voxellated version, yes?
Actually, aside from my giant mob-trap (which is only the most abstract of phalli), I don't have a single penis in my world.

I tend to reserve that kind of behavior for SMP. A phallus is always best shared with friends ;)
I'm sure dongs will get some competition from dungs once btw-smp is possible ^^
ialdbaoloth

Post by ialdbaoloth »

Here's the Beinecke Library. That's outside light seeping through the stone walls.
Spoiler
Show
Urian

Post by Urian »

I tend to switch from world to world but I usually try to stick with one style, usually the initial inspiration comes from a blend of what I've seen other people build and how the terrain looks. My last world had a roman/greek inspiration, so

this:
Spoiler
Show
heavily influenced this:
Spoiler
Show
I'm still undecided what my new world will be but I'll probably be following this thread to see if I can find inspiration :p
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
TTKRickJames

Post by TTKRickJames »

[quote="Urian"
Spoiler
Show
heavily influenced this:
Spoiler
Show
[/quote]

Its funny you post this. I am working on my own Pantheon, Its still very much a WIP.
I really like how you made your columns.

Heres my take on the Pantheon.
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Let me know what you all think. Also I am looking for suggestions for lighting for inside the upper dome, I wanted to use lenses but I would have to light them from outside the building, which I don't think will look all that good.
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

FlowerChild wrote:A phallus is always best shared with friends ;)
Speaking of which, I kinda forgot to let you know - but you're Tower of Doom has made it's way back onto the server. It's lapiz entrance way (I think it was lapiz..) is directly facing the Cathedrals entrance way. :P Thought it was Symbolic. ^_^

On topic;
I am heavily influenced by King Arthur, AND THE KNIGHTS OF JUSTICE!! Basically, I love the lore and myths that go around King arthur, the holy grail and all that. I am a big fan of castles, so I kinda go back to existing castles and take pointers from those.
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

Spoiler
Show

Notre Dame, and any other large church or cathedral.
And HOW!
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

I don't know why I don't use real architecture as inspiration. Honestly, for me the thing that got me inspired to build crazy villages and whatnot is FyreUK. Though I'll never be able to match their scale on single player.
Spoiler
Show
Gargantuan_Penguin

kaos78414 wrote:I don't know why I don't use real architecture as inspiration. Honestly, for me the thing that got me inspired to build crazy villages and whatnot is FyreUK. Though I'll never be able to match their scale on single player.
there are also a lot of minecraft builds that inspire me. a lot of them are just as impressive as far as design goes as any cathedral or town in real life. and while I am posting again
La Sagrada Familia
Spoiler
Show
it's been under construction for about a century, and is, in my opinion, one of the most incredible pieces of architecture out there.
And HOW!
Damonjay

Post by Damonjay »

Something i have always wanted to Build on Minecraft.

I have attempted but got bored and stopped and consequently lost the world :( (im still not sure how)

The Volkshalle (Peoples Hall)
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show

Just so people Understand the size of what I am talking I have included a picture of the Brandenburg Gate.

In the Above Picture you can see the brandenburg Gate sitting beneath a Giant Arc De Triomphe
To those that don't know what the Volkshalle is.

its a Giant Domed hall Designed by Albert Speer during the late 1930's
here is a link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkshalle

(as a note, I am not trying to Glorify the Nazi party or its Party members in anyway, Shape or form. I am merely Impressed by the Architecture which had originally been taken from the Greek/Roman empires and then given mass amounts of steroids)

Further more I realise that this is an international forum and if i have Offended anyone with this post please let me know and i will take it down.

EDIT: Coincidentally the Volkshalle is a juiced up version of the pantheon.
Last edited by Damonjay on Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

I haven't ever really tried to mimic a certain style or copy a building. I simply go with whatever I feel fits the purpose of whatever I'm building. I have a few rules I stick to though. Variety of materials. Building needs to look supported (no massive floating spans). Balance of heavy/light materials (wool can't support stone for example). Don't make things square, vary the geometry. Clip corners, work in the diagonal plane, create an entryway that isn't in line with the front wall of the building, etc. Use balconies (and pillars) to break up the boring monotony of a straight vertical wall. Vary roof styles from building to building so they don't all look the same. Alter the ground level from building to building so they're offset at least half a block.
I do like the architecture associated with monuments and palaces, vast open regions supported by pillars, large reaching arches etc. I have never been able to do one that felt right though. I may be tackling such a build as my main base/storage facility in my current world sometime in the near future.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

A big inspiration to my current world is this book, which I got for christmas and have been messing around with since.

It's called "The Barefoot Architect", and it's pretty much about how to build a house for yourself if you are a poor family in a third world country.

I'm also a huge fan of Tumbleweed Homes

I'm also drawing on Japanese inspiration, especially shintoist architecture like the Isa Grand shrine. It's one of my favorite bits of architectural ceremony, because it's simultaneously one of the oldest and newest temples. A temple has been at that spot for a thousand years, but they tear it down and rebuilt it identically every 20 years.

Of course as I get into larger automations I'm going to need bigger buildings. I haven't yet decided if I'm going to put my soul urn factory in this:
Spoiler
Show
Or in this:
Spoiler
Show
TTKRickJames

Post by TTKRickJames »

TheAnarchitect wrote:
Spoiler
Show

This one please. I think it suits the purpose better than the pyramid.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

I vote Japanese as well, Anarchitect. Is that Osaka Castle, or am I being confused? Eitherway, once kaos' aesthetic add on is released, it will fit much better as an initial testing ground.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

It's Hemiji Castle

If I go the japanese route, I can eventually work my way up to Japanese modern stuff too. Minecraft does suit itself well to architecture like that of Tadao Ando.
Spoiler
Show

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

FaceFoiled wrote: Speaking of which, I kinda forgot to let you know - but you're Tower of Doom has made it's way back onto the server. It's lapiz entrance way (I think it was lapiz..) is directly facing the Cathedrals entrance way. :P Thought it was Symbolic. ^_^
Thanks dude!

I'll make sure to pop onto the server and grab those screenshots :)
Gargantuan_Penguin

@Anarchitect, I also agree with the Japanese style. I am still working off and on on a japanese styled castle. I must say I appreciate their architecture.
And HOW!
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Here's something I want to build in a big jungle:
Spoiler
Show
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I'm going to be building something very much like this around my multicoloured sheep farm.
Spoiler
Show
Better is the enemy of Good