Good Lens layout for two-way long-distance comms?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Mr_Hosed

Good Lens layout for two-way long-distance comms?

Post by Mr_Hosed »

Hey gents,

I've got a wanka-vator to height 160 to access the collection shoots of my sky-grinder, and I'm having difficulty with the redstone/lens layout to get two-way comms between the call button/go button up top and the circuitry/buttons down below.

Anyone have some suggestions on how to wire this bugger up?

I'm really sold on using lens for this as they eliminate the stupid torch towers. I can get the signals going back and forth, but I can't seem to get the redstone right. I keep getting chained comms (one goes on, the other goes on, one goes off, the other goes off)...
Stormweaver

Re: Good Lens layout for two-way long-distance comms?

Post by Stormweaver »

Screenshot?
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
StormBeforeDawn

Post by StormBeforeDawn »

Xor gate, put one at the bottom or the top. Send signal through the lens from the lever controls

design a is the easiest to follow from the wiki imo, will have to look up what the symbols actually mean on the wiki.
~Storm
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

StormBeforeDawn wrote: design a is the easiest to follow from the wiki imo, will have to look up what the symbols actually mean on the wiki.
Use H if you're going with an XOR/XNOR. Far more isolated and compact than the others.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

An Xor gate looks like it may just work for the actuall lens controls. I'm using buttons instead of levers so I think I'll need to put BD flip-flops on the top and bottom floors and that's were I'm having trouble.

Btw, it's only a 2 floor elevator so there's no need for complex detector block circuits for detecting incoming/outgoing direction, etc. Both floors have a Up and Down button on the back wall. I've done multi-floor full-auto elevators in the past, but for some reason my brain doesn't want to work right now :(

Edit: Ok, I figured out part of why I was having trouble. I kept trying to shoe-horn my signals into 2 lens (1 for comm to the top floor and 1 for comm to the bottom floor) when I actually need 3 lens. The third would be the elevator up/down controls (AKA gear box signal on/off to the pulleys, no need for a brake signal since it's only 2 floors).

Edit 2: This allows me to have nothing but buttons on the top, a small flip/flop for the up/down indicator lights, and a bunch of lens/detector blocks/light blocks in an array.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Umm. If it only has two floors, you only need one button per floor. And very little wiring. I'll explain in words.

1) On the bottom floor, have a button, which powers a light block, which powers a lens pointing up.
2) At the top floor, have a downwards facing detector block with redstone dust on it, with a button able to power the redstone dust.
3) Connect the redstone dust to a T-Flip flop, and connect the output to the gearbox supplying power to the pulley.

Very little wiring; It's basically an OR gate connected to a T-Flip flop. You don't need any more than that :)
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

A simple Go button eh? That would be the simplist solution.

I want 2 buttons that control the direction from either the bottom or top. The reason being that I've had elevators do funky crap (activate/deactivate) when loading/unloading chunks so I wanted to be able to call the bugger from either floor regardless of it's current position.

I actually managed to shoe-horn in the top floor controls into a 5x5 space.

Now I'm working on integrating the circuits on the bottom floor where the elevator logic is going to be.

Here's some pics to help show what I was after.
Spoiler
Show
Edit: Ok, I get it now. I could eliminate all of this with just a simple button to reverse the current direction (like StormWeaver suggested)... Well there went an hour of redstoning for nothing. Glad I did this whole thing in my creative test world first before attempting the real deal in my survival world.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Look how I did it:

You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
rusky

Post by rusky »

If you only have two floors the elevator goes between you can automate this with a single button (press it to make the elevator go up or down depending on where it is).

Create a T-Flip Flop next to the pulley at the top, this will control the pulley.
Next, feed the signal from the top button into the T flip flop, and finally create another button at the bottom floor that activates a light block sending the light through a lens to a detector at the top which also feeds into the t flip flop.

That's all there is to it, now you can spam the button and the elvator will go up and down :D
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

I got this working as you guys suggested. Not sure if it's the most resource light solution, but using 2 BDs, one to remove/place redstone from the lens signal and one as a flip-flop I was able to shoe horn everything into a pretty small space.

1 button to flop the current direction of the vator, works from both floors. It's funny. Originally I wanted all the circuitry on the bottom floor but it was just easier to build the circuitry up top near the pulleys. That was part of the complexity issues I was having.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Better late than never I suppose. This:
Spoiler
Show
Is how I'd do it at minimal cost.
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

Have you tried it yet? For me it didn't work. I think there needs to be a memory cell in there somewhere that uh... resets itself on the second push?
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

The block dispenser also has a half-slab in it.
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

And now it works, thanks! :)
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
Catox

Post by Catox »

I just had this idea : a lift not controlled by pressing buttons but by stepping into light beams.

3 holes in the lift, 1 one the left and 2 on the right, let pass 3 light beams from base to top of the lift.
When you step in and get out of the lazer on the left, a flip-flop activates or deactivate the pulley, making the lift stop or go.
The 2 other ones are plug to set and reset entries of a memory cell linked to the gearbox, letting me choose between going up or down.

This suppress the need of installing an interface on each floor the lift should give access to.

And it's actually quite simple to conceive ^__^
Spoiler
Show
TSA

Post by TSA »

are you still wanting a wiring for your elevator?
using lens?

i have this compact design here.

you dont mind if you have to download it to see right? i sear its not a virus.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/66495591/New%20World.zip

it is a dropbox link

left button is for up/down right button is for cancel or stop de system =) all wiring is on the roof.
hope you enjoy it.
LunaticToad
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

TSA wrote:i sear its not a virus.
That's a bit suspicious... ;)