New SimCity -- coming 2013!

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
SterlingRed

New SimCity -- coming 2013!

Post by SterlingRed »

It's coming! A new version after 10 years... Bringing back all those memories of annhilating my cities with aliens, earthquakes etc.

This article talks about it here: http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/3/2 ... 2013-maxis

If you have doubts about if you would enjoy a new version, let me provide this quote from the article:
"You can do things like let fires burn down whole sections of your city and watch the poor, burning sims come out of the building," Quigley tells Vox Games. "You can isolate off sections of your city and watch the whole thing go abandoned and wind up with homeless encampments. ... We made it so you can see them starve and eventually die. That's part of the gameplay."
It goes on to discuss that it needs to be realistic and that cities burning down because you put an oil refinery in the middle of it is intentional... Seems to be a game after FlowerChilds own heart!

Edit: fixed url
Last edited by SterlingRed on Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rhacer

Re: New SimCity -- coming 2013!

Post by rhacer »

They're also introducing an MP mode that sounds like it might be very interesting to play.

Unfortunately it is going to be PC only and I don't own a PC.
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

watching sims die...
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!
ok I am going to be getting WAAY to much sadistic pleasure out of this game...
And HOW!
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Realized I derped the url. It's fixed!

Mp could be a lot of fun! And a good challenge to figure out how to make your buddies city starve...
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

rhacer wrote: Unfortunately it is going to be PC only and I don't own a PC.
Yeah. I wish I owned a PC, there are so many good games for them these days. Like minecraft, and dwarf fortress....though, good thing those two run on my souped-up microwave.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
rhacer

Post by rhacer »

I decided long ago that if I couldn't play it on my 360 or my Mac, I wasn't going to sweat it too much. Unfortunately from time to time, I do sweat it a bit. But Minecraft and Football Manager both work on my Mac so I'm generally a happy camper.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I feel old.. The last sim city I played was sim city 2000, which a friend had *cough* "lent" me on floppy disks :P

Anyhow, I have spent countless times on that one, so I guess I'm somewhat interested in this.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:I feel old.. The last sim city I played was sim city 2000, which a friend had *cough* "lent" me on floppy disks :P

Anyhow, I have spent countless times on that one, so I guess I'm somewhat interested in this.
Last one I played was sim city2000 as well. Wasn't on a floppy though. I enjoyed it quite a bit.
TaterBoy

Post by TaterBoy »

I was never good at Sim City myself, I'm terrible at balancing all of a city's needs and keep it in the black. I did get to play Sim City Societies though, which was a lot easier for me to manage, (I realize what this says about me: that I needed the vastly simplified GUI to succeed, nevertheless it was enjoyable.)

I would like to play this, it's been a while since I attempted one of these, who knows, maybe I'm a wiser man today and would make a good mayor. Unless being a bad mayor is also supported behavior (e.g. intentionally making the whole place a polluted slum from which no one can escape. XD)
Cthulhu for President: It's not the right choice, it's the only choice.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

I am exceedingly excited about this. I had my doubts after the trailer but reading a description about how every sim/building/vehicle is it's own simulation.
TaterBoy

Post by TaterBoy »

Did I read right that you won't need to scatter fire stations all over the city to keep fires down? (same with schools, precincts, pretty much every aura building.)
I always hated that aspect, so many boringly redundant buildings rather than a single very interesting one.
Cthulhu for President: It's not the right choice, it's the only choice.
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:I feel old.. The last sim city I played was sim city 2000, which a friend had *cough* "lent" me on floppy disks :P

That was a bold step with sim city franchise as they had a industrial statistics and it would seem like your city could actually specialize in various forms of manufacturing or services. Unfortunately it really didn't work. This new version seems to be moving not only toward this direction again(thankfully) but also resource extraction.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

I remember fondly simcity 3000. I was taking a course in Urban planning, using "A Pattern Language" as the text. I decided to make a city in simcity based on the patterns outlined in the book for urban planning. I told my professor about it, and he told me he'd give me extra credit for presenting the resulting city at the end of the semester.

It worked out really, really well, but it's no real surprise. I read the bibliography and it turns out that my textbook was one of the core urban design sources they used to design the game.

Man I wish I could find my copy of "A Pattern Language." I think that's one of the books that my last office stole from me.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Kain Magin

Post by Kain Magin »

I am sadly overjoyed that they are finally doing this. I spent countless hours on sim city while losing track of the time, even the date sometimes. They tried to do too much with the last sim city they made so I'm not sure exactly how I feel about this.
FlowerChild wrote:"Fuck me".
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

its been FOREVER since I last played a Sim's. I used to have so much fun with it too. I certainly hope that it will be as good as everyone thinks it will.