Finite Water Mod and BOD

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
embirrim

Finite Water Mod and BOD

Post by embirrim »

So I'm starting a new world and was thinking of using Better ore distribution. Is it worth it, does it alter gameplay in any way? Does it force you to make "mines"?

Also, finite water mod. has anybody used it? I haven't tried it ever, I suppose you can still farm with the special water (it makes tilled soiled humid)? Does it go nice with BTW?
I might consider doing a let's play if nobody has ever tried it, to provide some alternate videos =D
Katalliaan

Re: Finite Water Mod and BOD

Post by Katalliaan »

Waterwheels won't work with finite water. I haven't played with the default config of BOD, but I think that you'll find that it takes longer to find veins (so you may be using charcoal and stone tools for longer than normal), but you will be set for some time when you do find them.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
AmishGoat

Post by AmishGoat »

I haven't used BOD, but I have used Finite water. And last I knew ?Finite water was incompatible with BTW, though I never tried fiddling with the block ids and such.
Finite water was OK, but it doesn't carry items in water streams (though I think you can craft vanilla water or something), it creates a lot of more interesting physics, but you can't really do anything with them. If I were to go back to using it, it would be with BTB (no more refilling infinite water means HCB gets really interesting, and this would be a more fun way of cooling engines I think). And yes, last I knew you could use it to hydrate crops (though again, if using BTW, just use planters).
Edit: Clarification
Trying to destroy the you with a you is futile.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

My personal experience with BOD was terrible. Its either too hard to find anything, or too easy. Either way its not fun. If its too hard, you can easily spend hours looking for some specific ore and find nothing (I spent a whole day looking for diamonds, like 12 or more hours, found no trace of it...)

The other minerals are on the other hand too easy to find, and they come in huuuuuge veins, you just have to mine a couple and be set for months... Or forever.... I got so much iron and so much gold I just ended up saying "fuck this, I'll start over". So yeah... May not be an impartial review, but I'll never use that mod again for sure.... And I had such good expectations too.. maybe that made it worse...

About finite liquid, I think they are compatible, and even though you can't use the water from FL to move water wheels, there is a recipe to create vanilla water from FL water, so that's not a problem. It would probably be fun to build a water lock with this mod... Also it gives a new challenge when mining, because you can easily break the wrong wall and flood a mine, and you can use pumps to clear them later.... Or build Dwarf Fortress' style flood traps :P I guess it seems to be an interesting mod to try out.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

jorgebonafe wrote: About finite liquid, I think they are compatible, and even though you can't use the water from FL to move water wheels, there is a recipe to create vanilla water from FL water, so that's not a problem. It would probably be fun to build a water lock with this mod... Also it gives a new challenge when mining, because you can easily break the wrong wall and flood a mine, and you can use pumps to clear them later.... Or build Dwarf Fortress' style flood traps :P I guess it seems to be an interesting mod to try out.
I was afraid that BOD would do that, ye... Randomness has it uses I suppose. It's not updated anyway, so I think I won't go for it.

Finite water does provide interesting challenges, but you're saying it doesn't transport items? well that's a bummer... Kind of spoils the purpose of it all. BTB would really be the perfect cobination if they'd be fused together in some ways. pumps and spouts would provide really cool gameplay.
But yes, it's what you said, it's cool and realistic, but... there's not much you can do. Although a water lock would be cool. Always wanted to build one since I read swallows and amazons (wow that's old)

Anybody else have some mod suggestions?
I've thought of Millenaire, but it's not quite what I want.
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

I quite enjoy BOD actually. While it's true that it's either too easy or too hard to find anything, with the right mining technique you'll find something soon enough. The main reason I prefer it over vanilla is that you don't have to dig endless tunnels in order to find small amounts of ore. Instead, you only dig endless tunnels once and are pretty much set afterwards.

Edit; To add to that, I think it also does a pretty good job of delaying your advancement through the vMC "tech-tree." You have to get by with stone tools and charcoal for a lot longer than you usually would. Though, after you pass that stage it's, as jorgebonafe said, all systems go (seeing how an iron vein easily holds well over 800 blocks of ore).
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Sandrew wrote:I quite enjoy BOD actually. While it's true that it's either too easy or too hard to find anything, with the right mining technique you'll find something soon enough. The main reason I prefer it over vanilla is that you don't have to dig endless tunnels in order to find small amounts of ore. Instead, you only dig endless tunnels once and are pretty much set afterwards.
Yeah, thats part of the problem I have with BOD, the whole "from then on you are set" aspect.... This is "mine"craft, and if you don't ever have to mine again, it feels like part of the challenge and fun of the game is gone...
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
steveman0

Post by steveman0 »

jorgebonafe wrote:
Sandrew wrote:I quite enjoy BOD actually. While it's true that it's either too easy or too hard to find anything, with the right mining technique you'll find something soon enough. The main reason I prefer it over vanilla is that you don't have to dig endless tunnels in order to find small amounts of ore. Instead, you only dig endless tunnels once and are pretty much set afterwards.
Yeah, thats part of the problem I have with BOD, the whole "from then on you are set" aspect.... This is "mine"craft, and if you don't ever have to mine again, it feels like part of the challenge and fun of the game is gone...
I've always liked the concept of BOD because it is realistic. It is all about prospecting, once you find a location then you end up with a lot of resources but that is the point. It turns resource gathering into an adventure as opposed to the dreadful grind of mining loads of rock in the hopes of finding the rare ore. Why anyone would want to spend hours clicking rocks in the hopes of getting the resources you need to get back to the fun parts is beyond me.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

I've used both mods extensively. Personally I really enjoy BOD, but I have to so carefully balance my settings to avoid issues mentioned above - search for BOD on this forum to find my current settings.

Regarding Finite Water, I have a love-hate relationship with that mod. I love the mine floods, I love the way you can find plunge pools in caves made by rain. I love the way you have to design your buildings with the need to redirect rain. I love that your torches get ruined outdoors and leave you vulnerable to spawns if you're not careful enough,

I hate that the author keeps jamming more and more features in - scuba diving and natural gas, heating stuff over iron and all this other stuff. I hate that he goes to the effort of giving you a file to customise what water washes away, then limits you to only 5 things - which makes btw completely incompatible because ALL your btw stuff will get washed away and you'll never be able to protect it all - that windmill which took you hours of hemp cultivation, grinding and hard work.... gone first rain shower. Mainly though, it's so bug ridden, I believe he's just had to undertake a huge rewrite of the entire mod and it's still bug ridden!

Yet I still run an install with it on!!!
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

[quote="Shengji"][/quote]

Rain drainage considerations was always a cool aspect of that mod. However my favorite part was back in 1.7.3 i had that mod and survivalism and i had to build an intricate water collection system to maintain hydration of my character. It got even worse when i had to irrigate crops as when you made irrigation channels in your farming areas the water would eventually evaporate so you would need some sort regulatory system to detect when the terminating points of the channels water had vaporized leaving your crops unhydrated. Djoslin actually had a water detecting block but this was before BTW so i avoided redstone like teh plague.

Also once you get an aggregation chamber set up collecting obsidian is easy and riskless as your essentially bringing both teh fluids to you. It does take a hell of a lotta work to get the two fluid systems together which makes surface lava even more valuable.

Also, yeah what was the point of scuba? there was nothing under the water to warrant its' use.

But as far a BTW and FL neither are compatible.
There is at least one class file conflict.
waterwheels break and even if you set them to not break there is no guarantee they will respond to the finite water
Also you would have to set up waterwheel above a water destroying system like an ocean they cannot be placed underground unless you plan on flooding something. You could in theory dump excess water used in power generation into teh void but when i tried this in FL i crashed so teh only solution is i know of is flooding a cave and then pumping it out or dumping water into teh ocean which destroys additional water.

Djoslin did have a way to make vMC water with finite water in previous versions. You had to mix finite water with some redstone and gold then pick it up and dump it repeatedly until it becomes vMC water, you did this in the physical world not on the crafting table. This was before the rewrite though so there is no guarantee it will work.