Detector Block Change

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Detector Block Change

Post by FlowerChild »

Hey guys,

I know someone reported this as a "bug" awhile ago, and I closed it down, but I've been playing around with it and have realized just how overly sensitive the Detector Block is at the moment, which can really fuck with farming applications.

Anyways, just wanted to let you know I'll be slowing down its responsiveness some to help compensate for this. So, if you're systems are currently acting up due to this problem, it should be resolved in the near future.
Ceunon

Re: Detector Block Change

Post by Ceunon »

Does this have something to do with situations like when you use pistons to push reeds into waters streams...?

Also, on off-topic...does that mean you've done with your new mysterious feature?

Oh, boy.
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

How exactly the sensitivity is fucking with farming application?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ferrus.Manus wrote:How exactly the sensitivity is fucking with farming application?
It's become so uber-sensitive that the items just flying in front of it from say wheat being harvested are causing multiple state changes causing it to pulse on and off.

It's a real bitch to resolve actually, at least without messing with other kinds of automated-system designs. I've been wrestling with it for the past few hours.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok, nevermind this one. I'm going to leave the Detector timing the way it was in the last release. Just too much potential for screwing up existing builds by fooling around with this.

Sorry for the inconvenience on this one. At worst, this will probably mean you'll have to insert a repeater or two into existing designs to help compensate for the increased sensitivity, which hopefully won't be a very big deal.

It specifically affected the timing of detecting wheat growth. I had to change around the way wheat was detected due to not wanting Lens beams to be blocked when passing over the top of fully grown wheat (which definitely would have seemed weird), and that inadvertently screwed with the timing as well.

The thing was, the Detector used to be way slower to react to wheat growth than everything else, so it created a bit of a special-case which I corrected when I made the above change. Now, the Detector reacts just as quickly to wheat, which unfortunately messes with the timing of existing automated wheat-farms.

Anyways, as I said, the timing will remain the same as in the last release.
origsgtpepper

Post by origsgtpepper »

As you said the way I resolved it was to put one repeater after the detector block but before everything else. The repeater will work on the second setting (just one right-click) and I doubt you will notice any change in the speed considering how slow wheat grows. This is the solution to the problem below↓.

The only problem I was having with the change was when the detector would trigger the piston to retract and then extend the planter; sometimes it would do all this in about .25 sec which wouldn't allow the wheat to get pushed out of the block. After that the block dispensor wouldn't place new seeds.

As a side note if you place a block where some items are sitting, when they get pushed out of the way, place another block were they will end up before they stop moving and they will just sit inside the second block placed.
My first world is from the free to play weekend on sept 18 2010 and I still play it everyday.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

origsgtpepper wrote: The only problem I was having with the change was when the detector would trigger the piston to retract and then extend the planter; sometimes it would do all this in about .25 sec which wouldn't allow the wheat to get pushed out of the block. After that the block dispensor wouldn't place new seeds.
Yup, what you describe is exactly what I was investigating.
johnt

Post by johnt »

Yeah, i set up a monostable circuit off my detector to get around it, but that's okay.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Oh so there is a bit of oversensitivity on the DB, I was wondering about that. I tend to use monostables in most of my DB circuits, but in the case of wheat I didn't feel the need for it in my setup, but did notice some weird behaviour, nice to know it was not something I did.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
elustran

Post by elustran »

FlowerChild wrote:Ok, nevermind this one. I'm going to leave the Detector timing the way it was in the last release. Just too much potential for screwing up existing builds by fooling around with this.
It's worth mentioning that we Minecrafters are used to having our builds screwed up now and again- my old Alpha world had some awesome cart launchers and water ladders that are now quite deprecated.
STrRedWolf

Post by STrRedWolf »

I took another approach with the wheat farm is that I have water flow over the planters. It requires a slow timer, which I used "solid state" timers (read: 5 redstone repeaters on 4 = 2 sec delay) in combo of a piston flip-flop and a monostable circuit. A 6 second delay works to get 4 planters cleared.
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

elustran wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:Ok, nevermind this one. I'm going to leave the Detector timing the way it was in the last release. Just too much potential for screwing up existing builds by fooling around with this.
It's worth mentioning that we Minecrafters are used to having our builds screwed up now and again- my old Alpha world had some awesome cart launchers and water ladders that are now quite deprecated.
However, it's also worth mentioning that FC isn't Notch, and he isn't going to "fix" something just because it was a bug if it means it will break existing contraptions.
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.