quick question Tile Entities

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
origsgtpepper

quick question Tile Entities

Post by origsgtpepper »

How much do they affect performance?

Also are signs considered tiles?

Edit: If anyone feels like explaining; why does the game have troublel with tile entities?
Last edited by origsgtpepper on Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My first world is from the free to play weekend on sept 18 2010 and I still play it everyday.
Poppycocks

Re: quick question Tile Entities

Post by Poppycocks »

Alot and yes.

Try replacing a chunk with furnaces to get the idea.

I think they're great though. After all, who's going to fill up a whole chunk with a single tile entity?
origsgtpepper

Post by origsgtpepper »

I used signs to trick mobs in my mob trap one time and the lag was horrible but there were like 200 signs so.

I just wasnt sure how much lag a small amount could create(say..30 signs)
My first world is from the free to play weekend on sept 18 2010 and I still play it everyday.
Glox

Post by Glox »

BTW adds vine traps to lure mobs into a pit, no tile entities needed.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

origsgtpepper wrote:I used signs to trick mobs in my mob trap one time and the lag was horrible but there were like 200 signs so.

I just wasnt sure how much lag a small amount could create(say..30 signs)
Weeeell, it's different for every pc.

Also
Glox wrote:BTW adds vine traps to lure mobs into a pit, no tile entities needed.
You'll love 'em.
origsgtpepper

Post by origsgtpepper »

The main reason I am asking is because I have chests in my house. (castle?, base?...whatever)
I have alot of them. (13 double chests full of coal alone) Now for redstone, wood, and coal; I have dedicated rooms to them but everything else has a chest in one of 2 rooms and each chest has a sign.

PS. If you remember I had the earlier post about "maximun efficiency systems for laggy computers" and optifine has worked wonders. Right now I am just trying to get to the root of the problem for my own peace of mind.

Edit: I just used mc edit to look at my map and I have somewere around 300-350 tile entities lol.
This includes chests, signs, and potion equipment.
Last edited by origsgtpepper on Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

origsgtpepper wrote:Edit: Also do ladders count as tiles?
They're not tile entities - they're just blocks with a small (or non-existent in 1.1, fixed in 1.2) collision mesh.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
origsgtpepper

Post by origsgtpepper »

origsgtpepper wrote:Edit: I just used mc edit to look at my map and I have somewere around 300-350 tile entities lol.
This includes chests, signs, and potion equipment.
Yea I noticed that while I was in mcedit

Edit: I was hoping to change that post before anyone responded to the ladders question but I wasn't quick enough.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

So you're saying my new uberstorage room with (currently) 500 double chests is a bad idea? :P
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
origsgtpepper

Post by origsgtpepper »

Only if your computer can't handle it.

Have you noticed any major decrease in fps?

I would run some tests before you start to fill them up; (this can save you alot of time later) and use the F3 stat screen to help.

I tested it by finding the worst spot and waiting until all the chunks load to get a stable baseline. Then do the same in another location far enough away so that the chests aren't loaded.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Yup, huge chest zones can be quite laggy.
Even on my new beast, I drop to 40-50 FPS in mine, when I'm around 150 or 200 anywhere else.
origsgtpepper

Post by origsgtpepper »

How many chests do you have in your storage system Battosay?
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Fun fact: I typically run MC @ 30 FPS, 20 FPS in laggy areas.

If I press f3, my fps immediately drops to below 12.
War..
War never changes.

origsgtpepper

Post by origsgtpepper »

That is because of the pie graph in the corner.

The only reason I use F3 is I don't have anything else to measure fps.

Also I just realized this but were did you get the resources for 500 chests. Thats probably many real days of just cutting down trees.
Blueblade11

Post by Blueblade11 »

origsgtpepper wrote:That is because of the pie graph in the corner.

The only reason I use F3 is I don't have anything else to measure fps.

Also I just realized this but were did you get the resources for 500 chests. Thats probably many real days of just cutting down trees.
Thats 1000 single chests, isnt it?
Spoiler
Show

Code: Select all

1000 * 8 = 4000 planks = 8000 sidings = 1000 logs

1000/64 = 16x64 stacks of wood. :/

Then theres time spent cutting the wood...
255 Characters Limit? D:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/941586- viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3117
I don't want to go back to MCF! Even if I do stupid things here 90% of the time!
whitechaos35

Post by whitechaos35 »

That's 16 stacks of wood, not 16x64 stacks. 1 stack of wood takes me 5 minutes, or 2 minutes and 10ish bonemeal.

EDIT: Sorry, I assumed that by saying stacks, the 64 was implied, but you might have simply mean "64 stacks" to indicate that each stack had 64. My bad. :/
origsgtpepper

Post by origsgtpepper »

yea...Im not saying that it cant be done but I only have a double chest of wood and I started this world when survival test was just being taken down from the minecraft website.

Then again I wasn't concentrating only on getting wood.

I would just go out in a random direction and chop down every tree I saw for hours on end. Mainly because I was tired of looking at the patchwork trees.
Johnnyboy

Post by Johnnyboy »

Tile entities are additional data for a block, beyond the block ID and 4 bits of so-called metadata that every block has (as described in the data values article).

The blocks which have tile entities are:

Signs, to store the text to be displayed.
Chests, Dispensers, and Furnaces, to store their contents. Furnaces also store the time until the current item is smelted, and the time until the furnace's current fuel item is exhausted.
Monster Spawners, to store which mob will be spawned and the time until the next mob is spawned.
Note Blocks, to store which note will be played.
Blocks being moved by pistons,[1] to store the offset of block, direction of movement, and ID of moving block.
Jukeboxes, if and which music disc is inside
Enchantment Tables for the floating book.
Brewing Stands to store the items and brewing time.
End Portals have tile entity data, if the frame its if the eye of ender is in or not, if not its unsolved.
I posted this in the eureka thread, only is get pwned by fc yet again with the feature.

Basically they have to do all that stuff per tick. which happens 20 times a second. the more you have the more checks have to happen.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

origsgtpepper wrote:How many chests do you have in your storage system Battosay?
500 double chests in the storage room only, and probably 100 more in the rooms above and bellow.
origsgtpepper wrote:Also I just realized this but were did you get the resources for 500 chests. Thats probably many real days of just cutting down trees.

Bone meal + sappling + time ?
And I use the siding recipe for chests, it's cheaper ;)
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

I've got an older pc as well, but surprisingly my auto hemp fiber farm isn't the laggiest, even though it's got the most tile entities by far.

My chicken coop's the laggiest - for obvious reasons. Holds at least 50 of those little monsters + a plenty of young ones. But I'm not really ready to give it up as it produces cooked chicken at a quantity which keeps both me and all of my shitmachines fed and leaves me with a large surplus. And best of all, it doesn't require any wheat at all.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

origsgtpepper wrote: Also I just realized this but were did you get the resources for 500 chests. Thats probably many real days of just cutting down trees.
Lol, the wood for the chests was they easy part, filling them is the real challenge :P

Although permarunning cactus and reed farms, having huge wheat farms, and an always on gigantic quarry, plus cobble generators feeding furnaces, and splitting the output in two, one for smoothstone storage and one for autocrafting stone bricks, well, those chests are filling fast.

Once my mob tower kicks in, and my passive mob farms are up and running this will get even worse.
War..
War never changes.

origsgtpepper

Post by origsgtpepper »

@Poppy Its the sounds of the chickens. Your computer cant handle all the sounds being played at the same time; try muting the volume in game options.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

origsgtpepper wrote:@Poppy Its the sounds of the chickens. Your computer cant handle all the sounds being played at the same time; try muting the volume in game options.
Oh! I'll try that once I get home. Upgradin the lvgl might help as well with sound-related problems, I've heard. So I'll try that first.

I just didn't realize it's a sound related problem. Funny that.
origsgtpepper

Post by origsgtpepper »

Im sorry I should have been more clear, mute the sounds to determine if that is really the problem. I have the same problem but only when it is initially loading the sounds.