1.9 pre release 3

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
screally

1.9 pre release 3

Post by screally »

Anyone else seen anything strange?

I used the seed "undermined" and this is what I saw at my spawn:
Spoiler
Show
Image Thats right, two giant pillars of glass that extend to the top of the sky
Naturally I decided to see how far down they went
Spoiler
Show
Image Pretty far
Yep, pretty damn far. And a view from the bottom:
Spoiler
Show
Image And yes, that is stone bricks. I found myself in a stronghold
So here's the room I found myself in:
Spoiler
Show
Image A silverfish spawner... a bit unusual, but whats that in the background?
A better shot of it:
Spoiler
Show
Katalliaan

Re: 1.9 pre release 3

Post by Katalliaan »

The glass pillars were a debug feature meant to help find strongholds. Just another thing that they forgot to take out of the build before prereleasing it.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
screally

Post by screally »

I've started to make some potions too, will post any decent results.

Potion ingredients as far as I can tell are Fermented spider eye, spider eye, nether wart, ghast tear, blaze powder, magma cream, sugar, redstone dust and goldstone dust

So far I made poison from netherwart and then spider eye, and then fermented spider eyes makes it a potion of harming
PuppetRebel

Post by PuppetRebel »

This post is pretty good.

It may seem that the strange room is a portal to a new dimension.
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

The weird blocks are crystal blocks. The broken ones can be repaired with Ender eye (blaze powder+Ender pearl). Nobody knows what they do yet.
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

"Loks like it's gonna be a portal to the Sky Dimension" said some people of the MCF.
PuppetRebel

Post by PuppetRebel »

Which I guess would be cool. But, do really need AOTHER dimension? The first 2 should be finished first, I think.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

PuppetRebel wrote:Which I guess would be cool. But, do really need AOTHER dimension? The first 2 should be finished first, I think.
Well Jeb has already added new stuff to the Nether, structures, items and mobs, and going there is now a requirement for starting potion brewing (need a blaze rod), so there is more reasons to go there now. I think it's finished enough that they can implement the sky dimension now (looks like they are anyway though).
Urian

Post by Urian »

Furthermore you need netherwort to make all positive effect potions and they only grow in the Nether (you can plant them in the normal word but they won't grow).
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hooo boy. Get ready for 20 new aesthetic block ids.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Don't knock aesthetic blocks, I'm running out of interesting materials/color schemes to work with :p As vMC continues to be developed the amount of available IDs will decrease of course, let's hope some solution that doesn't turn into a resource hog will be found before it becomes a problem.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Urian wrote:Don't knock aesthetic blocks, I'm running out of interesting materials/color schemes to work with :p As vMC continues to be developed the amount of available IDs will decrease of course, let's hope some solution that doesn't turn into a resource hog will be found before it becomes a problem.
It's not the aesthetic blocks themselves I'm knocking so much as the way they are usually implemented in vanilla with each one being an individual block id.

I'm not even knocking it really given that it's Mojang's game, and they can of course consume their resources any way they please.

I think the only thing I'm really saying is that this addition will likely mean 1 less major mod that you can have installed simultaneously. In other words, I'm remarking at the additional support complaints this will likely generate and general headaches for modders. It's going to make a somewhat scarce resource even scarcer, and probably with little benefit.

And frankly, I don't see a universal blockID solution that doesn't have a performance hit or cause additional problems coming up anytime soon, if ever. To my mind, the blockID limit will remain in place indefinitely.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Aye, the ":p" at the end of the sentence was supposed to signal that I was joking - I'm getting a bit too tired to attempt text jokes tonight though :)
screally

Post by screally »

Just a little note, there already is a third dimension in minecraft, and it has been kicking around for quite a while (it's mentioned in the 1.9 thread linked above as well), so its not that they're implementing some new dimension, its they're finally including some content thats been in the works for a long time
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

FlowerChild wrote:
Urian wrote:Don't knock aesthetic blocks, I'm running out of interesting materials/color schemes to work with :p As vMC continues to be developed the amount of available IDs will decrease of course, let's hope some solution that doesn't turn into a resource hog will be found before it becomes a problem.
It's not the aesthetic blocks themselves I'm knocking so much as the way they are usually implemented in vanilla with each one being an individual block id.

I'm not even knocking it really given that it's Mojang's game, and they can of course consume their resources any way they please.

I think the only thing I'm really saying is that this addition will likely mean 1 less major mod that you can have installed simultaneously. In other words, I'm remarking at the additional support complaints this will likely generate and general headaches for modders. It's going to make a somewhat scarce resource even scarcer, and probably with little benefit.

And frankly, I don't see a universal blockID solution that doesn't have a performance hit or cause additional problems coming up anytime soon, if ever. To my mind, the blockID limit will remain in place indefinitely.
We are already at the limit for block Id's,

I have IC
BTW
BC
Redpower2
EE
and I had to set every BTW block below 200 for it to start working.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Brethern wrote:We are already at the limit for block Id's,
(...)
Oh sweet contradiction.
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

Battosay wrote:
Brethern wrote:We are already at the limit for block Id's,
(...)
Oh sweet contradiction.
There's like 20 or so id's left, that's not allot.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Considering that you're using the 4 mods that adds the most block IDs (ish), yes, that's still a lot.
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

Battosay wrote:Considering that you're using the 4 mods that adds the most block IDs (ish), yes, that's still a lot.
The four most popular mods. That I won't be the only person using.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Brethern wrote:The four most popular mods. That I won't be the only person using.
Heu ... ok.
I'm still right.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Hmm, notch made one of his encrypted tweets, it has been decoded and ideas extrapolated from it that Notch has confirmed:
Spoiler
Show
Notch tweeted raqreqentba which decodes with ROT13 as Enderdragons, he confirmed the ideas that the sky dimension will be called Ender and populated with Endermen and Enderdragons, this is reinforced by the fact that you have to repair the air portal broken blocks in 1.9pre3 strongholds with Eye of Ender.

I guess this is the Epic thing Notch has been working on.
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

gftweek wrote:Hmm, notch made one of his encrypted tweets, it has been decoded and ideas extrapolated from it that Notch has confirmed:
Spoiler
Show
Notch tweeted raqreqentba which decodes with ROT13 as Enderdragons, he confirmed the ideas that the sky dimension will be called Ender and populated with Endermen and Enderdragons, this is reinforced by the fact that you have to repair the air portal broken blocks in 1.9pre3 strongholds with Eye of Ender.

Sigh
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

gftweek wrote:Hmm, notch made one of his encrypted tweets, it has been decoded and ideas extrapolated from it that Notch has confirmed:
Spoiler
Show

Adventure or Sandbox? That is the question
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

walker_boh_65 wrote:Adventure or Sandbox? That is the question
Game changes? I'd say the fact that mostly everything in Minecraft is optional (monsters and eating, survival/resource gathering, villages and strongholds), it's really still up to the player if they treat it as an adventure game or a sandbox one.

I'm happy for a blend, I'm not going to be hunting down strongholds so I can fight my way through them, but I may start a creative world so I can wander around one. For me the game plus BTW is a sandbox with monsters thrown in to keep you on your toes and add some random elements to your world on a day to day basis. I tried pure creative Minecraft during alpha and found it very boring, I have to play survival even if I don't go out adventuring often.
DocLazy

Post by DocLazy »

FlowerChild wrote: And frankly, I don't see a universal blockID solution that doesn't have a performance hit or cause additional problems coming up anytime soon, if ever. To my mind, the blockID limit will remain in place indefinitely.
Yeah, I think it would probably require an engine rebuild at this point. Although I do wonder how much of a performance hit it would be to add a bit or two to block ids.