Thoughts on...Curse Like Mod Client

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Damion Rayne

Thoughts on...Curse Like Mod Client

Post by Damion Rayne »

I was wondering what people's thoughts were on a Minecraft Mod's Client. Basically this would act like the Curse Add-on client for WoW. It would do the following,

Be a downloadable .exe file.
Have a repository of all mod's as they are uploaded by the authors.
Automatically let you search for mods by type.
Automatically inform you if a mod was out-dated.
Allow you to one click down and auto-install mods into the minecraft .jar.

This would need,

A Repository server for the mod authors to upload to, meaning that when all the mods that are using this update they would need to upload their mods to the server.

So the prime example would be below,

You have the following,

BTW, BC, IC^2, EE, Wireless Redstone, Portal Mod, Turret Mod, Some mod-addons and the like. You log into the mod client, it would tell you if any of these had been updated, and you'd just be able to click "Download and Install" and the client would do so.
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
"Teamwork, Maturity, Tactics, http://www.tacticalgamer.com"
Zhil

Re: Thoughts on...Curse Like Mod Client

Post by Zhil »

Someone on IRC was talking about making something like this. One of the features would be that it uses the adfly links, so it would still generate income for mod authors.

To be honest, it's all a bit hairy copyright wise, so you'd need to talk with the mod authors to realize something like this.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Gilberreke - the idea behind things like the Curse Client (which I never used when I played WoW; I preferred MMOUI Minion since you didn't have to pay just to get an "update all" button) is that the mod authors would upload their work to a server that the mod installation client would connect to for downloads, which would also provide a short blurb and a page regarding the mod (similar to how people create threads on the MCF for their mods).
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Not a single mod author will agree to that. It's been tried before and none of the big mod authors agreed, so you had this tool that only lets you download 5000 different/the same obsidian armor mods.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

I'd much rather see something like the vault for FA or FOMM.
PuppetRebel

Post by PuppetRebel »

This is actually what I had in my head when Mojang said "official mod support". A way that keeps mods organized, installed easily and updated easily. I think it would be great. However:
Gilberreke wrote:Not a single mod author will agree to that. It's been tried before and none of the big mod authors agreed, so you had this tool that only lets you download 5000 different/the same obsidian armor mods.
This really does seem to be the case.
Necropolis

Post by Necropolis »

There's also a big compatibility problem when it comes to mods. Potentially the forge authors could do a database, using their forum-base and common API to keep track of compatibility, also as they're the only cohesive group of mod-authors that seems to get along. Considering the problem with getting mod authors to use a common API, it could either fail catastrophically, be redundant for the minecraft forums, or create incentive for people to use Forge. All are possibilities.