Chandelier light source

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
taiketsue

Chandelier light source

Post by taiketsue »

They can hang from the cieling as one slightly bigger light source then torches. You can make them out of gold bars, torches and iron bars for the chain to hang from the ceiling.
walker_boh_65

Re: Chandelier light source

Post by walker_boh_65 »

i wanna say this is an exact replica of something in the beekeeping mod, no? How does this fit into BTW specifically? Convince us on its need to be implemented.
taiketsue

Post by taiketsue »

I don't know what the beekeeping mod is....Sorry.
taiketsue

Post by taiketsue »

Ok, I honestly don't think that torches make enough light for somethings like if your trying to light up a town. Another thing is, it looks kinda bad when your entire ground is coated with torches just so things wont spawn. So I'm suggesting Chandeliers as a way to emit slightly more light while looking appealing.
M!C

Post by M!C »

taiketsue wrote:Ok, I honestly don't think that torches make enough light for somethings like if your trying to light up a town. Another thing is, it looks kinda bad when your entire ground is coated with torches just so things wont spawn. So I'm suggesting Chandeliers as a way to emit slightly more light while looking appealing.
Light level 15 is the highest there is (glowstone), afaik there is no way to make something brighter ...
taiketsue

Post by taiketsue »

M!C wrote:
taiketsue wrote:Ok, I honestly don't think that torches make enough light for somethings like if your trying to light up a town. Another thing is, it looks kinda bad when your entire ground is coated with torches just so things wont spawn. So I'm suggesting Chandeliers as a way to emit slightly more light while looking appealing.
Light level 15 is the highest there is (glowstone), afaik there is no way to make something brighter ...

Well, it doesn't have to be brighter than glowstone (which I don't like to use), just something slightly more than a regular torch. More for asthetics.
M!C

Post by M!C »

taiketsue wrote:
M!C wrote:

Well, it doesn't have to be brighter than glowstone (which I don't like to use), just something slightly more than a regular torch. More for asthetics.
Torches have level 13 or 14 already and aesthetic features ... well, they are not the main focus of this mod.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

torches have a light level of 14, according to the wiki, so there is no in between, but you could always use light blocks.
taiketsue

Post by taiketsue »

Ok then. Thanks for acknowledging atleast.
Magmarashi

Post by Magmarashi »

You couldn't make it emit brighter light, but giving it the range of 3-4 torches arranged in a pattern could be possible.

Say, take 4 torches and arrange them in a cross around a middle square. It could cover that much area of light instead of just what 1 torch in the center block alone would. I could see something 3x3x2 that you could either hang from the ceiling or attach to the top of a block like a lamp post.

Something like that
SCIENCE!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Extending the range of light-sources in Minecraft is non-trivial.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

in a previous topic, I posted this:
I wrote: Pro tip: The bulk of the OP in a suggestions topic should be justification and uses, not implementation. "I think would cool be" is not a good arguement for a suggestion, moreso when it's one that doesn't fit in with BTW in the slightest.
It still applies. Justify your ideas, then we've got reason to actually help in a constructive manner.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Magmarashi

Cook a perfect steak? I'd rather try and build a car.

Post by Magmarashi »

"trivial" vs "non-trivial" is pretty vague, it doesn't really express any depth in how difficult the task is compared to what is established as trvial. By definition anything harder then trivial is non-trivial. Tying shoes is trivial, but cooking a perfect steak and building a car from parts are both "non-trivial", but one is clearly harder then the other.

It might be too hard to do, too complicated to want to bother trying, too risky to chance it breaking, too something to whatever. What degree would we be talking? It would help me trim down a list of ideas I have working if I knew the order of magnitude on adjusting anything lighting-wise to do anything.
SCIENCE!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Cook a perfect steak? I'd rather try and build a car.

Post by FlowerChild »

Magmarashi wrote:"trivial" vs "non-trivial" is pretty vague, it doesn't really express any depth in how difficult the task is compared to what is established as trvial. By definition anything harder then trivial is non-trivial. Tying shoes is trivial, but cooking a perfect steak and building a car from parts are both "non-trivial", but one is clearly harder then the other.

It might be too hard to do, too complicated to want to bother trying, too risky to chance it breaking, too something to whatever. What degree would we be talking? It would help me trim down a list of ideas I have working if I knew the order of magnitude on adjusting anything lighting-wise to do anything.
Like, rewriting the lighting system non-trivial :)

I don't throw that expression around lightly.
PuppetRebel

Post by PuppetRebel »

I really like the idea of having some sort of item that covered more area with it's light, not necessarily brighter as it were.
This item could maybe also be the solution to that annoying fog at bedrock?
Magmarashi

Re: Cook a perfect steak? I'd rather try and build a car.

Post by Magmarashi »

FlowerChild wrote:
Magmarashi wrote:"trivial" vs "non-trivial" is pretty vague, it doesn't really express any depth in how difficult the task is compared to what is established as trvial. By definition anything harder then trivial is non-trivial. Tying shoes is trivial, but cooking a perfect steak and building a car from parts are both "non-trivial", but one is clearly harder then the other.

Like, rewriting the lighting system non-trivial :)

I don't throw that expression around lightly.
Ah, well. Yes, that would be very non-trivial.
SCIENCE!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

PuppetRebel wrote:I really like the idea of having some sort of item that covered more area with it's light, not necessarily brighter as it were.
Wait a second. THERE is a fucking idea. I need to dig into the code to find out how hard it would be to add a light-source that specifically cuts through that fog (or perhaps rework the light blocks to do it), but considering that being next to a shaft leading to the surface already decreases the fog, I suspect there's some code already built into the game to do precisely that.

To me, this would be optimal, because I actually LIKE the fog when exploring as I find it adds a lot of atmosphere. What I REALLY don't like about it is what it does to my established underground lair. If there were simply a way to light an area that killed that fog, I'd be a happy camper.
Magmarashi

Post by Magmarashi »

FlowerChild wrote:
PuppetRebel wrote:I really like the idea of having some sort of item that covered more area with it's light, not necessarily brighter as it were.
Wait a second. THERE is a fucking idea. I need to dig into the code to find out how hard it would be to add a light-source that specifically cuts through that fog (or perhaps rework the light blocks to do it), but considering that being next to a shaft leading to the surface already decreases the fog, I suspect there's some code already built into the game to do precisely that.

To me, this would be optimal, because I actually LIKE the fog when exploring as I find it adds a lot of atmosphere. What I REALLY don't like about it is what it does to my established underground lair. If there were simply a way to light an area that killed that fog, I'd be a happy camper.
Then we go from hanging chandeliers to Mining Lamps!

Yeah, that's a much better usage of time overall then just a light that is pretty. Awesome.
SCIENCE!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Magmarashi wrote: Then we go from hanging chandeliers to Mining Lamps!

Yeah, that's a much better usage of time overall then just a light that is pretty. Awesome.
Yup, agreed. I was just thinking of how to rework the Light Block to fit into the overall tech-tree for this next release too, so giving it a little added functionality would definitely be in-order. I doubt I can get the fog-cutting feature in there for this release, but I'll take a look at that soon.
mybumhurts

Post by mybumhurts »

Magmarashi wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:

Then we go from hanging chandeliers to Mining Lamps!

man i love this idea so much especially to cut the bedrock fog. maybe use the ink from squids as a fuel. or something to us as a fuel to give the player something to maintain. but i would hope it would keep a light for a good 5-6 in game days
i regret my user name.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

^^^I do like the idea of a fuel for it, and ink sacks are quite useless, but anything to get rid of the fog is something I am game for.
WarChicken

Post by WarChicken »

I'd add my support for chandelliers.

No fancy stuff, just a light source I can staple to the ceiling that emits light. I don't even think it has to be brighter than a torch, since you can use its light more efficient because you can put it in the center of the room without looking dumb like a central torch on the floor.

There is a mod that has this - the Mierraria mod, that tries to take the terraria game to Minecraft. It doesn't have a beautiful model for it, but you could get an imprssion of the thing there.
dan1987

Post by dan1987 »

WarChicken wrote:I'd add my support for chandelliers.

No fancy stuff, just a light source I can staple to the ceiling that emits light. I don't even think it has to be brighter than a torch, since you can use its light more efficient because you can put it in the center of the room without looking dumb like a central torch on the floor.

There is a mod that has this - the Mierraria mod, that tries to take the terraria game to Minecraft. It doesn't have a beautiful model for it, but you could get an imprssion of the thing there.
I agree, that would be ideal.
M!C

Post by M!C »

dan1987 wrote:
WarChicken wrote:I'd add my support for chandelliers.

I agree, that would be ideal.
Please look at the time stamp of the last post in a thread before posting in it. This one was dead for over a month before you posted. We don't like necros without actual content here.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

M!C wrote: Please look at the time stamp of the last post in a thread before posting in it. This one was dead for over a month before you posted. We don't like necros without actual content here.
I think he's a bot. The sig link he has directs you to a chandelier retailer.