Tool to rotate blocks/change facing

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
jorgebonafe

Tool to rotate blocks/change facing

Post by jorgebonafe »

My sugestion is a tool to rotate any blocks on BTW mod that has orientation. I believe a tool like that would be really simple to make and would be very useful, to fix quickly gear boxes placed wrong, or to rotate easily detectors, dispencers, etc, without having to break the block.

I'm sorry if this has been sugested before, but I search about it couldn't find anything.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Stormweaver

Re: Tool to rotate blocks/change facing

Post by Stormweaver »

...I was just thinking about something like this the other day.

I support this idea.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

I approve of this idea. Good suggestion
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Lol, this forum never sleeps, does it?
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

The forum sleeps loads. The problem is the hardcore group of us who survive on nothing but nicotine, caffine and alcohol and like to drop by for some sensible conversation to break up the monotony of the long nights.

Although that might just be me. Either way it's a damned good idea you posted.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Beemlord

Post by Beemlord »

Sleep? You mean that thing I do when I right click on my bed at night? I only use it to set my spawn man.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Auhahuah

Yeah, that's what this game does to people :P I see block all around me these days XD
Anyway, I'm glad the idea was well received.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

You're just suggesting the wrench from Buildcraft.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

FlowerChild wrote:You're just suggesting the wrench from Buildcraft.
Or the screwdriver from RedPower or the wrench from IndustrialCraft. It IS a really handy tool for any big tech mod.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Yeah, I am. Industrial Craft has one too. Because its useful... I realize I'm suggesting something that already exists, but it doesn't change the fact that it would make life a lot easier to change orientation on a whole row of blocks...
And imo, because this already exists in another mod is not really a very strong argument for not implementing it, unless there was talk of making a tool that works on all the mods...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote:Yeah, I am. Buildcraft has one too. Because its useful... I realize I'm suggesting something that already exists, but it doesn't change the fact that it would make life a lot easier to change orientation on a whole row of blocks...
And imo, because this already exists in another mod is not really a very strong argument for not implementing it, unless there was talk of making a tool that works on all the mods...
No, it's not an argument against, I just find it polite when stating someone else's idea to credit the source.

I personally don't like the idea because it makes blocks feel a lot less "heavy". I felt the same way about the piston mod and right clicking on the pistons to reorient them.

Ease of use is not always a good thing when it acts counter to immersion.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

I just thought it was too obvious where I had the idea from, but you're right, I should have mentioned it.

And you make a good point. Maybe the tool could work only for some of the blocks? The gearbox wouldn't really be as heavy as a stone block dispenser, and its the most problematic block anyway
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

The big one that this would be useful for is for pannels, mouldings and corners seeing as these are a big pain to put just where you want them to be.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Deepsniper wrote:The big one that this would be useful for is for pannels, mouldings and corners seeing as these are a big pain to put just where you want them to be.
I agree. I love panels, mouldings and corners but they're very annoying to place at times and I end up placing blocks everywhere to get it right.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

FlowerChild wrote:
jorgebonafe wrote:Yeah, I am. Buildcraft has one too. Because its useful... I realize I'm suggesting something that already exists, but it doesn't change the fact that it would make life a lot easier to change orientation on a whole row of blocks...
No, it's not an argument against, I just find it polite when stating someone else's idea to credit the source.

I personally don't like the idea because it makes blocks feel a lot less "heavy". I felt the same way about the piston mod and right clicking on the pistons to reorient them.

Ease of use is not always a good thing when it acts counter to immersion.
I think using it for BTW wooden rotational blocks might be useful since they're rotation matters quite a bit and with panels/moulding/corners they're difficult to place correctly.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

I had actually another thought. It would be good if it was possible to make a tool that would work on all blocks and still not sacrifice immersion or make it to easy to do, since a tool like that is so useful it should be a little harder to get.

As it has already been established that not everything in minecraft is entirely scientific in nature, you could make a tool that would channel the power of hundreds of souls to help you rotate huge blocks around. So the tool could be made of cement, and include several buckets to shape it. that would make it harder to get and explain its power to rotate huge objects with ease.
Triskelli

Post by Triskelli »

...Or we could just have a ball-peen hammer to knock those pesky panels into place.

I like the idea. =]
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Maybe i kind of mixture between the piston/ turntable thing that is easy to use and destroy but will break into its drop form so that it is not an over powered equivalent of the turntable?
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

Came in here planning on staying we already have one, it's called a pick /axe but I like the idea of manipulating the troublesome blocks in BTW. I say iron prybar or steel (if FC wants to make it a endgame tool) that works only on wood and panels.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Strangely enough, I tought it was a tool made for lazy people. But I just had to remove and replace >100 mouldings. And now I have to agree with you. I wish I had such a tool. But it should be expensive to build, and only have like 20 or 30 uses before depleting.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Husbag3 wrote:Maybe i kind of mixture between the piston/ turntable thing that is easy to use and destroy but will break into its drop form so that it is not an over powered equivalent of the turntable?
It wouldn't be an overpowered turntable either way, since a turntable is a block and works when you're not around, but the wrench is an item you hold and work manually.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote:Strangely enough, I tought it was a tool made for lazy people. But I just had to remove and replace >100 mouldings. And now I have to agree with you. I wish I had such a tool. But it should be expensive to build, and only have like 20 or 30 uses before depleting.
Yeah, I've got reworking the placement code for the Panels/Moulding/Corners on my short-term todo list, so I should be revamping that soon. It was always just intended as a placeholder, I just never got back to it.
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Was expecting a troll thread requesting something exactly the same as the turntable. Disappointed in a way, yet pleased.
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

For panels and moulding, such a tool is needed since it is in some cases impossible to get the orientation you want. I would not want it to be usable on anything that takes up a full cubic meter, however. I really like the fact that you habe to plan your mechanical power layout and buiod it backwards toward the power wheel.
Better is the enemy of Good
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

To be honest, I've been using RP for all my panel and molding needs, Eloraam's system for placing them is so superior to any other microblock implementation it's not even funny :)

Maybe I should make a block that allows you to mechanically saw RP moldings. Recipe could be BTW saw + RP hand saw