Banlist

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
TyberAlyx

Banlist

Post by TyberAlyx »

FlowerChild wrote:I've often wished I could exclude certain segments of the community from even being able to use it and felt discouraged in working on new features because I've known that these ass-hats would be benefitting from my work.
I don't know if this would work, but quoted above, I think FC could address it very easily. A simple checker like if username "this" then disable mod or rain ghast around that player when he uses that block or item.

Something of a revenge of some sort? FC is very evil anyways >:)
grimper12341

Re: Banlist

Post by grimper12341 »

The maker of IC2 said he was gonna do that too :P (dunno if he was joking or not <.<)

EDIT: Found where I saw it:
http://www.industrial-craft.net/?p=208
Alblaka wrote:9. A IC-intern banlist preventing users, who previously bugged me too often or plainly pissed me off, from playing IC at all.

PS:
My new Eternal-IC-BanList already includes 2 persons. I’m of course not going to post a public banlist, but if you want to play IC² somewhen, seriously, don’t rant about it on MCF. As well, bugging me about updating MeC can have same results.
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

There is i belive, potential legal issues with that sort of thing as the eternal ban-list can interfere with the game itself functioning. Which is a pretty big nono.

Plus, it's a wonderful way to piss off plenty of other people, and promote alternate distribution sources (There was a serious racket on reddit and somethingawful that resulted in several people working to simply strip the the ban-code from mods using it, then rehost them). It's simply not a very good idea once you get past the initial "haha, use the mod NOW, ya bastard" approach.

Basically like every DRM scheme ever, then.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Or FC could just implement it and not tell anyone. The banned peeps won't be able to figure out whats happening (and we just ignore their tech support posts when we recognize the signs), and you avoid those problems you mentioned above :P
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

grimper12341 wrote:Or FC could just implement it and not tell anyone. The banned peeps won't be able to figure out whats happening (and we just ignore their tech support posts when we recognize the signs), and you avoid those problems you mentioned above :P
...Uh. That's an even more terrible idea, and it dosent avoid the problems at all - it just adds a massive backlash multiplier the moment someone takes five seconds to check two different accounts on the same install, or otherwise do some digging to see what the mods adding - and i know at least some of our community are active in checking through the files whenever we have a new patch to see if they can figure out stuff.

There is no way to implement a ban-list such as being proposed here without serious backlash of some kind - Doubly so because under the current way minecraft mods work, to have a player banned from the mod effects their entire game until such a point as they remove it. I'm pretty sure that's illegal in some way, shape or form.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Generally the people FC would want to ban arn't smart enough to think for more than 30 seconds at a time and have no coding knowledge, they would have to rely on someone else to figure it out for them.
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Mrchaim wrote:Doubly so because under the current way minecraft mods work, to have a player banned from the mod effects their entire game until such a point as they remove it. I'm pretty sure that's illegal in some way, shape or form.
Not in the least. Mojang is the only one responsible for their content-- if mods ruin your game, your saves, or plain old just give you viruses, they don't really give a damn. It's not illegal at all.

Alternative route-- release mediafire file with password protection, give password out on forums in such a way that it cannot be read by guests or non-banned members. There'll still be asshats who get banned, make a new account, and come back for the password-- but they'll likely keep their traps shut thereafter so they don't get banned and lose it again.

Not sure how to deal with the MCF forums though...
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

Fracture wrote:
Mrchaim wrote:Doubly so because under the current way minecraft mods work, to have a player banned from the mod effects their entire game until such a point as they remove it. I'm pretty sure that's illegal in some way, shape or form.
Not in the least. Mojang is the only one responsible for their content-- if mods ruin your game, your saves, or plain old just give you viruses, they don't really give a damn. It's not illegal at all.

Alternative route-- release mediafire file with password protection, give password out on forums in such a way that it cannot be read by guests or non-banned members. There'll still be asshats who get banned, make a new account, and come back for the password-- but they'll likely keep their traps shut thereafter so they don't get banned and lose it again.

Not sure how to deal with the MCF forums though...
Yeah. This really wouldn't be practical, especially for everyone who downloads the mod through the MCF thread. Besides, as soon as some random person who gets banned comes back for the password, he would no doubt publish the password for everyone to see. Changing the password periodically to counter this would only be annoying to regular users, and simply not worth it for a free mod. Plus the fact that I really don't think FC would seriously consider using a password for the mod anyway, if not for the above reasons, but for the simple fact that it probably isn't worth it to do so just to make the mod inaccessible to idiots. Now some sort of short captcha-type IQ test before you can download it....

What I think the best way to give the "screw you" to below average players would be to simply make the coolest things more complicated to attain in-game. This already exists to a certain degree, but I'm sure it could be taken further.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

darahalian wrote:IQ test before you can download it....
That, would be freaking brilliant actually xD Wonder if it's possible.

You could make the questions about the rules (how far should you run if you suggest diamond saw? (a) into the next room (b) to your mothers house (c) into the ocean) and how BTW features like gearbox orientation work. It would force the nubs to actually read the OP o__O
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

grimper12341 wrote:
darahalian wrote:IQ test before you can download it....
how far should you run if you suggest diamond saw? (a) into the next room (b) to your mothers house (c) into the ocean
D: None of the above. Do not run, only pray. Because he will find you, and he will kill you.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Hmms is it possible to have a download link that will only let you access it if you have been redirected there from a specific page? If so you could have the IQ test on the website here, and when you pass it, it links you to the download (although that means the download would have to be hosted here as well which might not be possible for sargunster :<).

Mean people couldn't get there without doing it, and even if someone tells them the answers, they at least learned something (hopefully)

EDIT: Or have someone write a program which you download, it gives you the test and when you pass it, it gives you access to the BTW files embedded in it >.>
TyberAlyx

Post by TyberAlyx »

Well I guess new accounts is a problem. I don't know if internal banlist would really help but I know people will think twice because no one wants to buy the minecraft again when they screwed up.
I guess flower could make it a hassle to download it and somewhere in the O.P there is a hidden text or at least "sandwich" a secret step in a whole lot of other text about a mod that is very vital for the mod to work. That way, people will be forced to read the O.P.

EDIT: I just learned as well that Equivalent Exchange also have an internal banlist. When you login, you will be struck by lightning everywhere you go! hahaha
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

darahalian wrote: What I think the best way to give the "screw you" to below average players would be to simply make the coolest things more complicated to attain in-game. This already exists to a certain degree, but I'm sure it could be taken further.
Or take a page from the Aether's book and make BTW blocks hidden by default from TMI. Reversible if needed for large experiments, if one knows how to work a config file, but a nice little screw-you to morons who can't work or think.
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

TyberAlyx wrote:EDIT: I just learned as well that Equivalent Exchange also have an internal banlist. When you login, you will be struck by lightning everywhere you go! hahaha

This is what we need :)
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

Battosay wrote:
TyberAlyx wrote:EDIT: I just learned as well that Equivalent Exchange also have an internal banlist. When you login, you will be struck by lightning everywhere you go! hahaha

This is what we need :)
Actually, I don't think we need lightning.

We need ghasts. Lots of ghasts.

(Shoutout to Diego from the stream!)

DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

All hoppers explode and spawn ghasts when placed. Let them work at it for a while before they find out just how hosed they are
Better is the enemy of Good
TyberAlyx

Post by TyberAlyx »

KWilt wrote: Actually, I don't think we need lightning.

We need ghasts. Lots of ghasts.

(Shoutout to Diego from the stream!)
Amen! flowerchild already has the ghast working anyways, its like ghast spawning is his "thing" already.
CheGiuAn

Post by CheGiuAn »

But will this keep them from moaning about it in the forum? or will it keep them from suggesting hundred times mentioned and denied things? or will it make them to use the search function?
(and at the suggestion forum, many people who suggests diamond saw and such things say that they haven't really played with the mod yet, but they'd like to see it in the mod... probably when they face the slow growing time of the hemp, or the fact that how long process is to make steel, they won't use the mod after 1-2 days)
'Who want's to do, will always find a solution. Who Doesn't want to do, will always find an excuse.'

'If you want to teach something, you shall be the liveing example of it.'
TyberAlyx

Post by TyberAlyx »

CheGiuAn wrote:But will this keep them from moaning about it in the forum? or will it keep them from suggesting hundred times mentioned and denied things? or will it make them to use the search function?
(and at the suggestion forum, many people who suggests diamond saw and such things say that they haven't really played with the mod yet, but they'd like to see it in the mod... probably when they face the slow growing time of the hemp, or the fact that how long process is to make steel, they won't use the mod after 1-2 days)
I think they will think twice if this is implemented though. If FC would put the message that he implemented a banlist near the download section, it will be clearly seen and FC could say "I warned you".
Conscript Gary

Post by Conscript Gary »

They'll just go and download the cracked version then, which will be made if this happens. Antipiracy methods like that are shaky enough moral-wise when checking for purchase, but verifying that you haven't offended the creator? That strikes me as supremely petty, even for Flower.
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

Conscript Gary wrote:They'll just go and download the cracked version then, which will be made if this happens. Antipiracy methods like that are shaky enough moral-wise when checking for purchase, but verifying that you haven't offended the creator? That strikes me as supremely petty, even for Flower.
The thing is, the cracked version will be found eventually.

Hell, I guarantee it already exists somewhere in some form for some reason.

And when we find it, we'll have it taken down. Or else. Flower does technically have a copyright on it.

BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

You will cause some different effects if it only works for some people. An estimate bellow

1 % will make a patch.
90 % will download a Patch form some one else.
10 % will not be smart enough to Find a the patch or know how to use it if found.

But all 100% will HATE Flower Child and It might cause a BACK LASH in the form of trolling hear or on the Other thread On Minecraft forums. In conclusion building a Mod that locks out some players FC has had problems with Might cause more problems than it is worth and lets face it FC douse not want these forums to be trolled to oblivion. so let them play (when you think about it to play a game When you hate the creator is a complement to FC, They may hate you but they like you're mod so much they still Have to play it.)
Conscript Gary

Post by Conscript Gary »

KWilt wrote:The thing is, the cracked version will be found eventually.

And when we find it, we'll have it taken down. Or else. Flower does technically have a copyright on it.
Yes, because Flower has unlimited internet jurisdiction over people who are doing something because they hate him. On bigger sites, sure.

Oh also offline mode.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

I love how this debate is happening over the results of an addition that would never happen =/ Adding a banlist would be a terrible decision, and very petty. Even i would be a little pissed if FC actually went that low
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

Conscript Gary wrote:
KWilt wrote:The thing is, the cracked version will be found eventually.

Yes, because Flower has unlimited internet jurisdiction over people who are doing something because they hate him. On bigger sites, sure.

Oh also offline mode.
We've already hit quite a few sites that had BTW posted without permission. It's nothing new.

And sure, we won't be able to hit every source. But we can still hit some.