[4.30] Jade Dragon Realm --Closed

This is the place for SMP server threads, and for general server discussion.
morvelaira

Re: [4.21] Jade Dragon Realm (Anarchy) Updated

Post by morvelaira »

Being the cynical woman that FC is training me to be, I almost wonder if the Anarchitecht was the nether groth planter. What better to bring the people of the server together than a common enemy to fight who poses a real danger, and can't speak for itself to twist alliances? ;)

/rampant speculation
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
StarsintheSky

Post by StarsintheSky »

But, Pucc, how could you steal from such a quaint little cutie pie cabin in the woods??

The intention of HC spawn is to keep people guessing and to teach them to use the compass and landmarks to navigate as well as increase the cost of death but a further effect, at least for me, is that now I'm building little huts in the wilderness every time I die and change spawn point. As time goes on, if people tend to do that--set up mini-bases--the world will take on an interesting collection of vacant dwellings all over the place. One reason I like constructed worlds is getting to explore other people's creations. On a co-op server this often manifests as city-building. On jade's server, this is manifesting as outpost-building.

And I like it a lot.

So, friends, enemies, in-betweeners, if you can be bothered, try building yourself a little cabin/watchtower/obelisk the next time you die for someone else to explore. I would appreciate discovering them and I'm sure others would, too. :)
IGN: Beschaulichkeit
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Interesting theory, but the problem with it is that I've been playing with Hardcore spawn for the last week and so I've been getting intimately familiar with the early game

over

and

over

and

over.

I'm trying to fight the groth with cobblestone in my skivvies
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

I swear it wasn't me... whoever planted the groth totally ruined my plans to have a Cold War by waving the fact that I had groth around. I'm actually just as pissed as those who want to fight the groth, because someone beat me to it... damnit... damnit all... my groth means nothing now... nothing... all my threats... pointless...
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Actually, I was there when we found out about the Groth. It only took us half an hour to gather the materials (We even tried using an Enderchest to bring Cobble but we only had one) and get into position near the portals. When we (Me and somebody with a long name (Bleuchstraven? Something like that)) entered, we went straight to the Groth and started building a wall. After a while we finished it plus a bridge to the other side, and then we saw another part of it in the distance. We went there and saw a large area of the Nether covered in Groth. We split up, each to the other side, and slowly surrounded the Groth with cobblestone walls - all of this while being constantly bombed by Ghasts. It required quite a lot of trust (I had to face the decision of leading the other player to the Nether quickly through my base's portal or let him walk to his own, thus protecting my secret though letting the Groth spread more).

It felt epic. It was livestream-worthy. I should get pictures.

EDIT:
Oh crap. Somebody broke a part of the walls. Kill the traitorous bastard who made our efforts worthless.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
jadedcat

Post by jadedcat »

To allay fears... IF and only if the groth becomes a serious drain on CPU: the world will not be nuked. I will just nuke the groth or in an extreme situation reset the nether. You might have to rebuild your portals following such an event but the overworld will be safe.

As long as y'all don't stretch the world too much by hopping out of the nether willy nilly with portals... There is no reason to reset the world.

NVM. Having just looked at the groth.. y'all have an odd definition of "everywhere" ;p It is still well within the players ability to control... so as of right now I will not be intervening.
FlowerChild wrote:
-Fixed fucking annoying door-banging ...... BANG! BANG! BANG!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!! GET OUT OF FUCKING MY HEAD! HIRE A FUCKING GAME DESIGNER! Fuck.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just to clear a couple of things up: groth will not expand into unloaded or ungenerated chunks. Thus, it can not, on its own, expand the size of the save. Players basically have to travel to areas in order for it to grow there.

If this is a general problem for anarchy play, I will of course take steps to address it. However, I'm not convinced at this point that it is, and I suspect we have many people blowing this out of proportion, especially Anarchitect as it suits his political goals ;)

So Jade, my vote is definitely "nay" for using admin powers to contain it. I'd much rather let this run its course as it will provide me with valuable info on what needs to be tweaked about groth behavior, if anything.
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

My vote's nay as well, only because I have all I need to get steel and don't really need to set foot in the nether until I do.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
jadedcat

Post by jadedcat »

Cool beans. We'll let it run its course.. its definetly not "everywhere" as someone was claiming ..lol
FlowerChild wrote:
-Fixed fucking annoying door-banging ...... BANG! BANG! BANG!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!! GET OUT OF FUCKING MY HEAD! HIRE A FUCKING GAME DESIGNER! Fuck.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Funny thing I noticed : the closer you stay to the original spawn, the less people you see.
And I'm still very much alive. Bounty or not.
And not carrying any Steel.
I swear.

As for the growth : It's definitely not that bad guys. I ran naked without taking any Growth damage. And I went in very close to spawn.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Well, this certainly seems like a dangerous request at this time due to the growth and all that, but is there any chance I could get on the whitelist, jadedcat? I'm missing Anarchy SMP since SR's server has gone, and would love to try and join in what seems to be a server with real character! (:
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Hey everyone. I know that due to the new hardcore feature I managed to lose my patience and ragequit a while back. Sorry 'bout that. But With my horrible sense of direction I kinda lost my cool while spending hours searching for my base. I may eventually come back regardless if you keep hardcore spawn on or not, but I think I need to take a break for a while.

Also, after double checking the release notes, and jades OP, I saw a slight inconsistency. FC said that HCspawn is off by default and jade's OP says all defaults are kept. So if it isn't too much of a hassle, could you update your OP to match that?

Again, sorry for losing my cool guys. I might see ya'll again some time.
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Yooooou!!! You Cyclone, you're the one who dropped the groth!
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
jadedcat

Post by jadedcat »

Eriottosan wrote:Well, this certainly seems like a dangerous request at this time due to the growth and all that, but is there any chance I could get on the whitelist, jadedcat? I'm missing Anarchy SMP since SR's server has gone, and would love to try and join in what seems to be a server with real character! (:

assuming ign and forum name are the same, you have been added.
FlowerChild wrote:
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Yup, they are, sorry forgot to say that! Fantastic, thanks very much!
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

More people to rob and kill ? Awesome ! :)
Pucc

Post by Pucc »

I suppose what I meant by my version of "everywhere" is that the Groth is everywhere of importance in the nether to me. Never said It was a problem though I'm game for leaving it as I said before I have steel boots and being able to access Groth infected areas gives me a good defence against people wanting to steal my netherwart.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

So much for me saying yesterday that I've recently been learning how to not die in silly ways ...

In my first play, I managed to get diamonds, get to the Nether, despite the growth get some glowstone ... Then I got deposited at someone else's portal when I returned, and when trying to find anything I found remotely familiar ... promptly drowned.

Back to square one for next time I log on, then ;)

That growth is really quite impressive. Terrifying, really ...
Joeyjoebob

Post by Joeyjoebob »

Can I get a whitelist? Haven't been frequenting the forums in a while, but I'm sure someone can vouch for me.
TheAnarchitect wrote:
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
The other half is violence...
jadedcat

Post by jadedcat »

Joeyjoebob wrote:Can I get a whitelist? Haven't been frequenting the forums in a while, but I'm sure someone can vouch for me.

It has been quite some time since you last posted, and with a majority of your posts being in off topic, I would prefer a current member vouched for you. This isn't a helpful learning server and I prefer to avoid drama.
FlowerChild wrote:
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Greetings! I think I'd like to take the plunge and give anarchy a try if you've got room. Sounds like there's a lot of entertaining things going on here!

IGN: Elodia7
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

I just want to give a shout out to all the people who helped fight the groth today. You guys are awesome!
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

TheAnarchitect wrote:I just want to give a shout out to all the people who helped fight the groth today. You guys are awesome!
The Groth is a more interesting "Boss" than the ender dragon... I love it :)
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

There's a strange cobblestone pyramid with nether portals at each entrance near a river somewhere... When you go through a portal, it extends into the nether. Very odd.
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
shifty

Post by shifty »

Detritus wrote:There's a strange cobblestone pyramid with nether portals at each entrance near a river somewhere... When you go through a portal, it extends into the nether. Very odd.
Thats the nether hub and the pyramid is the closest a couple hundred blocks south from old spawn.