Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
DumbassTurtle

Re: Morvelaira's News Compilation

Post by DumbassTurtle »

Itamarcu wrote:Dinnerbone is working on a new feature which includes enchantment merging/repairing and tool naming:
Sneak preview of what I started to work on last Friday: http://imgur.com/a/hVqEg
Level costs are subject to tweaking, but I want them to be high
At one point I used a mod that allowed you to 'dye' your tools and weapons (I have an aversion to aqua), but that got pushed out several BTW updates ago (lack of id's). So I actually perked up at tool naming, because I always wanted to have a bunch of named weapons from my favorite fantasy stories! Why, well because I'm a fucking nerd! lol

Though I wish Mojang would focus more on these kinds of 'cosmetic/frivolous' features, because they enhance individual play experience with personalization and satisfaction. They would also allow them freedom from nagging about the more important game changing ideas to allow them time to mature and be incorporated with thought and care to balance and compliment the progression of the game. Though they really just need to learn to stop listening to the toddler tantrums and just do what needs to be done in as long a time-frame needed. But what I am saying this is Mojang we're talking about.

That said, the combining of enchanted tools/weaps I'm not ok with. Now before the unlimited iron/diamond resources and without BTW's ability to melt down the tools and reuse the resources I guess I can kinda see. But now just set up a golem farm and you're set... oh wait they don't like mob grinders. Though anyone who truly plays this game makes them anyway. Facepalm Mojang, facepalm. And no matter how much Mojang tries to prohibit it, you can just exploit the villager trading system.

I'm also getting annoyed at their reliance on MAGIC as the new feature basis. You can now repair tools and weapons and combine imbued tools together into one, how? MAGIC! I mean I love fantasy with magic but I usually like a magic system to be grounded in some sort of rule set and lore so it's not just we can do anything you can think of because it's MAGIC!

Blargh! Anyway just my personal rant. Damnit Mojang just give me my item frames!
Eh something, something...
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

More power! better things! no increase in overall challenge or difficulty!

Mojang *headdesk* needs *headdesk* a *headdesk* game *headdesk* designer.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Six

Post by Six »

DumbassTurtle wrote:Though I wish Mojang would focus more on these kinds of 'cosmetic/frivolous' features, because they enhance individual play experience with personalization and satisfaction. They would also allow them freedom from nagging about the more important game changing ideas to allow them time to mature and be incorporated with thought and care to balance and compliment the progression of the game.
I think they could do some wonderful work if they focused for a bit on things which would enhance the storytelling possibilities in the game. The adventure map space is really quite interesting and Minecraft works as quite an incredible tool to for creating short stories and games within it. But it could be made a whole lot better if they spent a bit of time time working on a few things, like setting block breaking options in Adventure mode so adventure maps don't need to all start with "Please follow the rules by not doing x, y and z".

Instead we get random new 'features' out of left field, which feel like they have been given as much impact and design thought as "Oooh, I know what'd be cool, repairing! And combining enchants! Yeah, that'd be cool!"
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

Current enchanting system in vMC is not really challenging as much annoying and aggravating, and while I agree this is probably not a best solution depending on the cost it may be not as strong as it seems at first. You have to remember that due to getting XP from mobtraps enchanting is noticeably easier in in BtW and we have Infernal Enchanter as well (also you can re-smelt iron stuff, I personally no longer enchant diamond tools/armor since if get shitty enchantment I have basically just threw some diamonds out of window). I see the vanilla anvil in similar light light as Infernal Enchanter - you get more control over the enchantments at the higher experience cost.
Just because FC fixed enchanting in BtW doesn't mean Mojang can't try to fix it vanilla. Seriously, first you are angry that Mojang left enchanting system half finished then you scream bloody murder then try flesh it out. And criticizing feature that's still very much a WIP so heavily also seems bit over the top.
Last edited by Ferrus.Manus on Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Six

Post by Six »

Yeah, sorry, doom and gloom is not very useful and it is very easy to fall into spirals with others also proclaiming the end of the world. Let me just lay out what is about the way BTW handles the concept of re-smelting that makes me like it:
  • The process is lossy - all enchants are lost, and the sticks / halfts are lost.
  • Once you get to the tech level of the crucible, iron becomes your base tool material, as it is renewable and the two sticks don't matter.
  • Steel is re-smeltable, but the cost is higher in terms of two hafts, which involves harder to generate resources (2 straps + 2 glue (equivalent of 2 & 1/4 cows killed)).
  • Diamond remains a unique material, as it can't be repaired / reused, but has higher enchantability and durability.
But I agree that there is little point in criticizing a WIP feature, we'll have to see how it evolves for the 1.4 release (which is in a week or two?).
pgelinas

Post by pgelinas »

Six wrote: [*]Diamond remains a unique material, as it can't be repaired / reused, but has higher enchantability and durability.[/list]
That isn't true (according to the minecraft wiki): iron has an higher enchantability then diamond, as does gold. However, the effect of Efficiency and Unbreaking are much more noticeable on diamond, since it is a multiplier, but if you are looking for a good fortune enchant, you should go for iron. I enchanted 3 diamond pickaxes before trying an iron: I got a Fortune III on first try, when I had only Eff./Unbr with diamond at level 30.
Incomitatum

Post by Incomitatum »

As I called it when we saw the "Naming" pictures, vMC will have an anvil now.
Spoiler
Show
Via: http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comme ... cond_time/

Also there has been talk of making them Physics enabled like sand and gravel for traps. So that they do a TON of damage. Like dropping an anvil on someone's head in Loony Tunes.
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

Well, while the rest of the feature is... eh, i love the idea of being able to create anvil traps, so that part gets a thumbs up for me.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

OH my god that is fucking hideous why dear god why?
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
johnt

Post by johnt »

I think it might be time to start thinking about forking minecraft.
dr_spindizzy

Post by dr_spindizzy »

You might be joking, but that can't happen for a bunch of fairly obvious legal questions.

I really think this thread is getting excessively, even ridiculously, negative. Repairing items is fine. I want this. I hardly play MC these days, but it always bugged me how much time I spent getting a diamond pick and how fast it died. Of course it has to be balanced, but the feature itself is great (and making anvil traps could be really fun).

Basically FC will temp ban people for complaining about a WIP (for good reason) and I think it wouldn't be bad for people to self moderate and take a slightly similar approach for vMC.
johnt

Post by johnt »

<i>but that can't happen for a bunch of fairly obvious legal questions.</i>

You can't literally do a fork, but there's no reason anyone has to update the mod to the latest version of minecraft.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

dr_spindizzy wrote:You might be joking, but that can't happen for a bunch of fairly obvious legal questions.

I really think this thread is getting excessively, even ridiculously, negative. Repairing items is fine. I want this. I hardly play MC these days, but it always bugged me how much time I spent getting a diamond pick and how fast it died. Of course it has to be balanced, but the feature itself is great (and making anvil traps could be really fun).

Basically FC will temp ban people for complaining about a WIP (for good reason) and I think it wouldn't be bad for people to self moderate and take a slightly similar approach for vMC.
The big difference being that recently, a lot (if not most) of new vMC features have been poorly designed and haven't made vMC better in any way.
Meanwhile, we get a lot of well thought features or changes that simply make vMC feel a lot better (no "ass licking" intended). As Sarudak said in another thread, the recent Hardcore modifications are most certainly the best thing that happened to our gameplay experience in a long while.
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Ewww. I second you, Anarchitect, that's one ugly Anvil.

The idea of using the BTW anvil in traps has occurred to me before, but just like what they plan on doing here: Why? Does it make any more traps possible? It's not regeneratable unlike most piston/lava/drop fall traps. It's not easy to create like sand/gravel suffocation traps.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Is that the smooth stone texture with slightly different grays? -.-
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Incomitatum wrote:Also there has been talk of making them Physics enabled like sand and gravel for traps. So that they do a TON of damage. Like dropping an anvil on someone's head in Loony Tunes.
If memory serves, this was actually brought up a few times to be done to the REAL anvil back when it was first implemented. Can't remember what FC responses to it were. Something with technical limits I thought.

As to the actual anvil. As I said before, overpowered.

All you will ever need is a mediocre enchantment, say level 17 (the linear cutoff) and combine the tools you get from that into a super tool.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

walker_boh_65 wrote: As to the actual anvil. As I said before, overpowered.

All you will ever need is a mediocre enchantment, say level 17 (the linear cutoff) and combine the tools you get from that into a super tool.
Yeah... Kinda depressing. Yet more power creep. I mean the random enchant system was kinda dumb to begin with IMO but this is not a good way to fix it.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

walker_boh_65 wrote: If memory serves, this was actually brought up a few times to be done to the REAL anvil back when it was first implemented. Can't remember what FC responses to it were. Something with technical limits I thought.
Actually, I think it was more along the lines of "why should I bother?" :)

IMO, it's one of those "just because it sounds cool" feature suggestions that would/will have next to know impact on gameplay. Just not worth the effort as a result.

The effort results mainly from there not being a quick easy way to have an arbitrarily shaped falling block using the sand/gravel code (they're both regular MC 1m cubes). It's doable, but again...just not worth the bother. I'm pretty sure when the vanilla version comes out, people will say "oh neat!" about the falling aspect, then largely forget about it.

You guys know how much I love traps and general mayhem, and that feature aspect doesn't even give me partial wood.
johnt

Post by johnt »

I actually do like the lore and naming feature, but that seems like something that should be restricted to the infernal enchanter, IMO. The repair feature seems completely redundant to me.
weldaSB

Post by weldaSB »

dr_spindizzy wrote:Basically FC will temp ban people for complaining about a WIP (for good reason)
So...You are saying we can't talk about any of dinnerbone's features without getting banned?

The main problem i have with the anvil is the basic idea--Why the fuck would anyone bang their precious diamonds around with a hammer?
MoRmEnGiL: In the grand scheme of things, if you hate pickles in your burger, you can always remove them and go on.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

weldaSB wrote: So...You are saying we can't talk about any of dinnerbone's features without getting banned?
No...definitely not. Bitching about WIP MC features is fair game on these forums. Mojang has earned it.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

+1

I think, beyond the flaws of the basic idea, this could've been implemented better. The ideal solution would be a complete revamp of the enchanting system, because at the moment, it sucks. But the least they could do would be to have more of a cost than just "Hey, lets just make it cost a crapload of xp!" because that eventually leads to punching glitching masses of mobs (in vMC anyways). Also, why throw in the extras? It should be a single purpose, useful (relative to the other crap we've been getting from Mojang) block, without the flowery crap.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Six

Post by Six »

dawnraider wrote: But the least they could do would be to have more of a cost than just "Hey, lets just make it cost a crapload of xp!" because that eventually leads to punching glitching masses of mobs (in vMC anyways).
They avoided re-encouraging mob-farm-punching this time though. They put a max cap on what you can do with the anvil at 39 levels.

Which reminds me, I don't believe it has been mentioned in here yet that you now get xp from breeding animals.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

Six wrote: Which reminds me, I don't believe it has been mentioned in here yet that you now get xp from breeding animals.
That will certainly have interesting implications for both BTW lore and automation.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
devak

Post by devak »

Actually the Anvil has my hopes up for mojang, at least a little bit.

It costs a fair amount of resources, and repairing and such actually costs something!