MC/BTW NOOB

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
OldMarriedDude

MC/BTW NOOB

Post by OldMarriedDude »

Greetings all,

I blame my kid for this post- its his fault Im addicted to MC and now BTW (for about 2 weeks). I wanna say FC you sir are a god! Ive been messing around with BTW and now have a few questions.

On my kids say so I have been creating a new world every time there is an update- Is this really necessary?

Is there a method of using the screw pumps to move items vertically?

Lastly, Is it possible to build a completely automatic system that incorporates all of the systems FC has implemented?
bmanfoley

Re: MC/BTW NOOB

Post by bmanfoley »

On my kids say so I have been creating a new world every time there is an update- Is this really necessary?

Usually no. However, with the change of making HCB the default recently, I believe it was necessary for a lot of people to make new worlds.

I can imagine there would be some complicated method possible using pistons to push the items around, but it's probably a bit expensive and not worth it. Vertical item transport is intended to be a great limitation to builds. Work around it.

Lastly, Is it possible to build a completely automatic system that incorporates all of the systems FC has implemented?
Boooooyyyy it would take a while ;)
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

I've been using the same world for a long time. FC designs features around the fact that he uses the same world over a long period and he wants players to be able to do so too. It is certainly not necessary.

No, and if it were it would be patched to make it impossible. Pulleys are the way to move items upward.

Here's a post I made that had an idea of what that might look like:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5512

Basically the answer is a cautious "possibly".
Last edited by Mason11987 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Welcome! To answer your questions:

1. Starting a new world every time is not necessary, and is actually something FC takes pains when designing the mod to avoid. Some people just have New World Syndrome though. ;)

2. Not currently, no. While it will not be effective for all items, the new buoyancy mechanic is one way - and you can also use platforms to create item elevators if you are more clever than myself.

3. I honestly don't know if it's possible, because I've never achieved it. This, however, is certainly one of my main goals. If I do this, I win Minecraft.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

First of all, welcome! I say you have made the right choice by embarking on BTW early in your MC career. May it be long and profitable!

My take on your questions:
OldMarriedDude wrote:On my kids say so I have been creating a new world every time there is an update- Is this really necessary?
As bmanfoley says, a lot of people are now. But FC seems to play primarily on an old world (though IIRC, he stated somewhere that there are some areas he will (at least for now) turn off HCB). He seems to respect the fact that some people have invested countless hours on their worlds, and so - while some content may break existing builds - there aren't features that require a new world (at least, so far - who knows what the future holds).
OldMarriedDude wrote:Is there a method of using the screw pumps to move items vertically?
Currently, I think there is, but if so, it is an exploit. If you want vertical item transport, use pulleys.
OldMarriedDude wrote:Lastly, Is it possible to build a completely automatic system that incorporates all of the systems FC has implemented?
Incorporating them? Definitely. Producing them? Not yet. As more levels of the tech tree are "discovered", things further down often become automateable (:.

EDIT: Ninja'd, repeatedly, with screw pump and a gimp suit.
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
Elflordsam

Post by Elflordsam »

As far as vertical item transport is concerned, I'd try out an Archimedes screw (If you've got the resources, i.e. Block Dispensers). It's way faster than pulleys and looks a lot cooler, plus it can fit into a pretty small space. :)
Samwise - Redstone Engineer and host of many BTW videos.
http://www.youtube.com/ChapsGaming
OldMarriedDude

Post by OldMarriedDude »

thank you all for the welcome, as always answers seem to bring more questions;however, I will do some research before asking them. Glad I dont have to create a new world every update - that gets old fast. Time to go figure out how the screw works and make some elevators.
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

OldMarriedDude wrote:Greetings all,
Check out Battosay's videos on youtube, he integrates his builds very well with one another.
if you're interested in joining a server, we're currently working on achieving this on mine!
Indras

Post by Indras »

Hey OldMarriedDude, don't feel left out because of your age. BTW's complexity has a natural tendency to repel the younger players, due to the lack of instant gratification (i.e. magic blocks, boots of flight, etc). I'm married, have two kids, and I turn 30 tomorrow, so I'm right in the same boat with you. Please, stick around, show off your builds! Just try to avoid the Suggestions forum, it is a trap for new players, and is instinctively avoided by the more experienced ones.

As far as vertical item transport, I prefer pulleys and platforms. There are plenty of videos on how to set one up, but I encourage you to try your own design, first. Detector blocks are great for seeing the platform's current position, and lenses are fantastic for signaling the pulley from the bottom of the machine.

As mentioned above, an archimedes screw is good for short vertical transport. I don't like them because they are noisy, and for more than a few blocks, the wiring gets cumbersome.

A third option that I haven't seen mentioned in a while is storage minecarts. They can be loaded via hoppers, started and stopped with powered minecart track, and have little difficulty with vertical runs if you make a tight spiral of tracks. The real beauty of minecart transportation is the fast horizontal transport, it is much quicker over long runs than water streams. Automatic unloading is also possible in BTW, see Battosay's video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WESD852a-jc

See you around!
OldMarriedDude

Post by OldMarriedDude »

embirrim wrote:

Check out Battosay's videos on youtube, he integrates his builds very well with one another.
if you're interested in joining a server, we're currently working on achieving this on mine!
Ive seen several of his videos and watch them when I cant figure something out. As far as joining a server I wouldnt be much help since Ive only been playing MC for 3-4 weeks, I know next to nothing about redstone wiring and have yet to open the full BTW tech tree. I appreciate the invite tho. Once I feel I can contribute I will definitely look in on your project tho.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, I'd definitely say nobody should feel bad about age here or what have you. As I've mentioned before, I'm an old fuck, and as I am largely designing this mod for myself, I'm definitely designing for a more mature audience that doesn't want "MORE LAZERZ NOWZ!!!!" :)

Anyways, welcome to the forums man! Don't feel bad about feeling inexperienced either. We all had to start somewhere, and there are many people here that enjoy BTW on many different levels, and some long term members of the community that have never made it through the entire tech-tree. I don't think you should let that stop you playing SMP if you're so inclined.
muggsbud

Post by muggsbud »

OldMarriedDude wrote:
embirrim wrote:

Ive seen several of his videos and watch them when I cant figure something out. As far as joining a server I wouldnt be much help since Ive only been playing MC for 3-4 weeks, I know next to nothing about redstone wiring and have yet to open the full BTW tech tree. I appreciate the invite tho. Once I feel I can contribute I will definitely look in on your project tho.
not knowing how to get through the tech tree is a great reason to join some of the nicer(read friendly/ not total anarchy) servers, as in game hints and experience go so much further than an online tutorial.
OldMarriedDude

Post by OldMarriedDude »

Indras wrote:"... I turn 30 tomorrow, so I'm right in the same boat with you. Please, stick around, show off your builds! Just try to avoid the Suggestions forum, it is a trap for new players, and is instinctively avoided by the more experienced ones.

See you around!
ya I still feel old- I'm pushing 40 and feel about 80. As far as showing off my builds I've no idea how to post "spoiler" pics. I generally attempt to create a machine to solve what ever issue I have before I look for tutorials- I'm kinda stubborn that way. I Spent about 5 hours trying to build an automatic tree farm that I could set and forget, it used a block dispenser to dispense sand to push the tree into a saw, I got it all figured it out and then after FC posted an update I deleted the world. Thankfully, some more experienced players than my son let me know I don't need to do that. So my next automatic farm will get to stick around for future updates. ( I've got an idea for a new machine too-woot)
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

OldMarriedDude wrote: ya I still feel old- I'm pushing 40 and feel about 80. As far as showing off my builds I've no idea how to post "spoiler" pics. I generally attempt to create a machine to solve what ever issue I have before I look for tutorials- I'm kinda stubborn that way. I Spent about 5 hours trying to build an automatic tree farm that I could set and forget, it used a block dispenser to dispense sand to push the tree into a saw, I got it all figured it out and then after FC posted an update I deleted the world. Thankfully, some more experienced players than my son let me know I don't need to do that. So my next automatic farm will get to stick around for future updates. ( I've got an idea for a new machine too-woot)
Seriously, if you can build a sand powered tree farm you should join my server =D that is a creation to be proud of!