Excuse me while I swallow this crow...

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
redrew89

Excuse me while I swallow this crow...

Post by redrew89 »

Okay, so a few weeks ago, I crawled out of lurker-ville long enough to post a thread in the Off Topic section, lamenting the "hardcore everything" idea that has become more prevelant in recent updates to BTW. My primary sticking-point was HCB becoming the default for servers and clients. (Still configurable, which is good, otherwise my non-HCB-aware brother would have shat a brick trying to figure out his millstone set up.) Allow me to acknowledge that I had done gone full-retard.

It started with my re-configuring my farm-design on Edolas. I have a plot that stretched the whole length of my house. (Residents will likely have seen it. Otherwise, I'll add pictures when I can get some.) I extended the structure of my house to envelope most of the plot (hemp, and wheat, primarily). After some thought, I decided to go ahead, and build a semi-auto flush-harvesting method for my wheat. At the very least, it would be an opportunity to test out the screw pump. 4 hours later, I realized how much of a goon I had been. Screw pumps worked as expected, and gloriously so. I was able to build the sluices for my harvesting system, and crudely set it up on levers for manual operation.

And, it didn't kill me. So... yeah, consider this me saying that if I ever bitch and moan about a design change, give me a firm pimp slap.
Spoiler
Show
Before:

After:

Not here, yet.

Also, additional note, for those who don't speak English, primarily. The thread title is a reference to the phrase "eating crow" which is used to describe when someone acknowledges that pre-conceived notions are incorrect.
Last edited by redrew89 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FlowerChild wrote:Happiness is a warm and moist tentacle.
FlowerChild wrote:I just want to be loved.
Havok wrote: I'm so fucking psyched I could punch a kitten into the troposphere
Sandrew

Re: Excuse me while I sallow this crow...

Post by Sandrew »

I too was at first somewhat hessitant in my enthousiasm about the new hardcore additions, fearing that they would add unnecessary hassle rather than interesting mechanics but I must say that I am really enjoying them. The early game in particular is much more interesting and laborious, making the step towards automation of certain low-priority processes much more essential.
Six

Re: Excuse me while I swallow this crow...

Post by Six »

I have found several times after updates I have gone "What?! This idea sounds terrible, doesn't he understand how bad.. it.. wait. OHWOW."

I find it best now to hold judgement for a few days after major new additions / changes, until the mechanics and implications of them are better understood.
IowaGuy

Post by IowaGuy »

We took a vote on hardcore buckets last night . No one wanted the old way. I was rather surprised but glad.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Awwww...thanks guys. I'm not beyond the occasional crisis of faith myself, and given all the hostility I've been facing with regards to these changes (not here...mostly on MCF and Youtube), and especially given my recent rather fragile state of mind, I've been scratching my head wondering if I did the right thing or not.

Anyways, thanks for the validation. Much appreciated.
Sage

Post by Sage »

FlowerChild wrote:Awwww...thanks guys. I'm not beyond the occasional crisis of faith myself, and given all the hostility I've been facing with regards to these changes (not here...mostly on MCF and Youtube), and especially given my recent rather fragile state of mind, I've been scratching my head wondering if I did the right thing or not.

Anyways, thanks for the validation. Much appreciated.
I must admit that at first I was in doubt too, but after giving it a try, this is how vanilla should be :) You are a genius, one of the best game-designer out there!

(Also, care to share the youtube part? I follow the MCF thread, but it didn't provide me with hilarious haters...I want to have a laugh tonight ;P)
FlowerChild wrote:
Serjo44 wrote:today i was banned on ip for reason: <dances>
what i have do wrong?
Whatever it is...you just did it again.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sage wrote:(Also, care to share the youtube part? I follow the MCF thread, but it didn't provide me with hilarious haters...I want to have a laugh tonight ;P)
Check out Morv's most recent update video.
Sage

Post by Sage »

FlowerChild wrote:
Sage wrote:(Also, care to share the youtube part? I follow the MCF thread, but it didn't provide me with hilarious haters...I want to have a laugh tonight ;P)
Check out Morv's most recent update video.
Oh, YT comments section. Gotta love it.

Anyway, the guys are going to miss the fun of building a water-elevator-pump-thingy, that's enough as a punishment. They don't know the extra gameplay that they are leaving behind.
FlowerChild wrote:
Serjo44 wrote:today i was banned on ip for reason: <dances>
what i have do wrong?
Whatever it is...you just did it again.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sage wrote:Anyway, the guys are going to miss the fun of building a water-elevator-pump-thingy, that's enough as a punishment. They don't know the extra gameplay that they are leaving behind.
Most of it is probably just bullshit from the Forge crowd. Not comments from legitimate players.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

The friend who runs the server I play on has been bitching nonstop about all the issues he's having with HCB and bouyancy. For all that, he's never once considered turning them off and has been up late for the last four days in a row designing machines around the systems.

I call that winning.
Better is the enemy of Good
redrew89

Post by redrew89 »

DaveYanakov wrote:The friend who runs the server I play on has been bitching nonstop about all the issues he's having with HCB and bouyancy. For all that, he's never once considered turning them off and has been up late for the last four days in a row designing machines around the systems.

I call that winning.

Relevant
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:Happiness is a warm and moist tentacle.
FlowerChild wrote:I just want to be loved.
Havok wrote: I'm so fucking psyched I could punch a kitten into the troposphere
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Well, In this case I must also apologise for stirring up a fuzz with the sfs armour. It IS a good design choice and I have acknowledged it before, and frankly I like the special feel it gives, as opposed to merrily prancing about in the minecraft equivalent of a Terminator armour.

Just to restore some faith to your own self, as it would be a shame losing it when you are this good with minecraft mechanics. I don't want to belittle other modders, but VERY few mods can come even moderately close to pushing minecraft this far.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Mad_Scientist

Post by Mad_Scientist »

I'll be honest, in that I was a little dubious about the various hardcore modes that have recently appeared, however, i would always play such a feature before judging it. I've found them all to be most entertaining, particularly hardcore buoyancy.

The only (minor) thing I would bear in mind is that amongst my circle of MC playing friends is that BTW is often a gateway mod into the world of MC modding. This is mainly because it expands upon the look and feel of vanilla MC, and doesn't introduce any thematically odd features such as advanced technology. As most players generally quite like the comforting feel of MC, BTW fits in well with what they want, whilst adding and expanding upon a set of interesting features.

As a result of this, changing the vanilla behaviour of MC too much may start to put off some folks from trying out BTW initially. There is a danger of this happening if too many hardcore modes are added, particularly if they are non-configurable. If they are non-configurable, some players are likely to be put off downloading the mod all together by the new and unfamiliar mechanics, whereas configurable options will mean they initially do download and play without HC modes, increasing the chance that they will try them later and discover how much fun they are.

Of course, these are minor concerns at best, and I understand FC's policy is to design the game he wants to play first and foremost, rather than pandering to the whims of the MCF cesspool. The only way around it I could forsee would be for the new mechanics to be introduced gradually as the player progresses through the tech tree. However, this would probably be far more trouble than it's worth. As a result, this probably won't be too much of a problem.
Never read the bottom half of the internet.