Re-enabling use of bonemeal on grass

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
grimper12341

Re-enabling use of bonemeal on grass

Post by grimper12341 »

To get tall grass and flowers. Those 2 things are a big part of my aesthetics when designing a base, bare grass is boring and lifeless. All the other bonemeal changes I approve of, but this one I can't see the reasoning behind it, it's purely an aesthetic thing that makes bases prettier :(
Poppycocks

Re: Re-enabling use of bonemeal on grass

Post by Poppycocks »

http://sargunster.com/btw/index.php?title=Planter

You can grow tall grass and flowers out of a grass planter. You can harvest whatever it grows with a block dispenser.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

You can also harvest tall grass with shears.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Poppycocks wrote:http://sargunster.com/btw/index.php?title=Planter

You can grow tall grass and flowers out of a grass planter. You can harvest whatever it grows with a block dispenser.

" If left unoccupied, Grass Planters will also *eventually* sprout flowers (either red or yellow) and tall grass on their own"

"Eventually" isn't good enough to cover miles of terrain.

As for shears, that defeats the whole purpose. I don't want to destroy existing landscape features.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Mainly I removed that to make dyes a little more valuable, and because the insta-grow wasn't consistent with the rest of the changes I made to bone meal.

I *may* do something for the application of bone meal to grass in a way that is more consistent in the future, but it would likely require the use of an additional blockID.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Is there some kind of temporary work around you could enact in the mean time? Like decreasing the time it takes glass planters to grow grass/flowers maybe?
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

grimper, you just got politely told that he'd consider your request some time in the future. If you continue to pester him, it will turn to, "No." Just be glad for what you may have in the future and let it lie.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Easy morv, your noob detector is getting a bit overly sensitive, I've been around for a while and know how this works :p

Not trying to pester anyone, first thread about it and last time I made a suggestion was 6+ months ago, I'm happy that he's considering it and just trying to offer some alternatives.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

I'm well aware you've been around here for quite a while. It's why I worded that as politely as I did. I'm trying to tell you that this path you take is perilous - which is something even old hands need reminding of sometimes.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

After thinking this over a bit, I'm just going to re-enable the functionality as it previously was for the time being. The impact on the tech tree is minimal at best, and honestly, I was surprised at how important this feature was to people.

I'll likely rework it later once the extended block IDs become available, but for now, you're right in that there's no solid reason for it to be disabled at present if it's putting people out.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Awesome thanks a lot FC ^^
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

grimper12341 wrote:Awesome thanks a lot FC ^^
No problem man. You aren't the first to mention it as being important to them, and I don't generally deprive people just to get my jollies ;)
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

Awesome, thanks!

I use this feature for decoration quite a bit it it'll be great to have it back.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

sargunster wrote:Awesome, thanks!

I use this feature for decoration quite a bit it it'll be great to have it back.
It's already back in, and I just tested it by coating a hill ;)

Was just a five minute thing, mostly me copy/pasting Mojang's code and cleaning it up. While I'm all about being practical about coding, I just can't handle having a "goto" sitting around in my code ;)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote: Was just a five minute thing, mostly me copy/pasting Mojang's code and cleaning it up. While I'm all about being practical about coding, I just can't handle having a "goto" sitting around in my code ;)
I would bet that there's no goto in the original code. I remember doing a project once where I had to do a lot of decompiling because the source code we had was different from the production code. The decompiler would throw in a lot of "goto" statements in place of things like try/catch/finally blocks. It really had me scratching my head before i figured that out.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote: I would bet that there's no goto in the original code. I remember doing a project once where I had to do a lot of decompiling because the source code we had was different from the production code. The decompiler would throw in a lot of "goto" statements in place of things like try/catch/finally blocks. It really had me scratching my head before i figured that out.
It's certainly possible, but in this case it really doesn't look like it. Take a look at the code for bone-meal growing grass and you'll see what I mean. It looks like it would demand a state-tracking variable that just isn't present to avoid the goto, as it's being used to bomb out of a two-deep nested for loop.
Thorium-232

Post by Thorium-232 »

FlowerChild wrote:It looks like it would demand a state-tracking variable that just isn't present to avoid the goto, as it's being used to bomb out of a two-deep nested for loop.
Without even looking at the code that makes me cry inside.
Stormweaver wrote:Then you can just use the day/night cycle to separate out the adults, and put the kids in storage till you're ready to murder them.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Thorium-232 wrote: Without even looking at the code that makes me cry inside.
<shrug> I've used a goto in that manner precisely once like that in my career, and despite it being around 15 years ago I remember it well because I soul-searched on it for about a week :)

The thing was, it was in the innermost rendering loop of a software-based 3D engine, and after much consideration I decided that it was worth it because testing a separate state variable would obviously be slower.

So there *is* a place for that kind of thing in coding on occasion, and in this case, Notch's version of the code *is* faster. However, it's also in an area of the game where speed isn't even vaguely a concern.

Anyways, I don't want this to devolve into a general uninformed coding discussion, and this thread has served its purpose, so I'm locking it down.