FlowerChild's Dev Diary: Week of September 10th

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
The_Ender_lord

Re: FlowerChild's Dev Diary: Week of September 10th

Post by The_Ender_lord »

morvelaira wrote:I don't know about 100% real... but I'll fight tooth and nail anyone who says it isn't 100% reasonable.
So will I...
I think a bit of inventory hacking to get some stoked flames could lead to some very nice looking structures...
All you need is bacon and duct tape.
Extreme Boyheat

Post by Extreme Boyheat »

Souls of the damned burn blue. All there is to it.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

The_Ender_lord wrote: I think a bit of inventory hacking to get some stoked flames could lead to some very nice looking structures...
I don't think that would work. The stoked fire would disappear after a few seconds since it wouldn't be getting blown by a bellows.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
Sadat-X

Post by Sadat-X »

There's some chemists that work in the building across from me that call themselves engineers. I'd ask for their opinion on the chemical composition of netherrack or concentrated hellfire, but I suspect they would either tell me it has a high concentration of potassium and give me lecture on organic salts or tell me to leave them the hell alone.

Ridiculous attempts at comparing MC to reality aside, I'm excited to see the new flames in action. Most of my hibachis are buried in automatic constructions, but it sounds like I'll need to fire up the old surface stewing pot and bake some donuts.

Silly question to just sate my own curiosity, but I notice that minecraft light seems to come in two colors.... cool daylight or warm torchlight. Is light color defined by a hex color code per source?
Ruinous

Post by Ruinous »

I really like this new texture, it is quite fitting.

Since i haven't posted in a while; i just want to say I'm really enjoying this 'preview/what i am working on' thread :)
I love it when you explain the tricks you employ and the problems you have to circumvent, I come away feeling a little bit smarter
and a little bit more involved in the whole process. Cheers FC.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

The new flames look great, but from what you've said, I get the feeling that they won't be texture pack-friendly.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
timsheap

Post by timsheap »

ooo look pretty fire..... yeay!!!
.... End Transmission.
The_Ender_lord

Post by The_Ender_lord »

darahalian wrote:
The_Ender_lord wrote: I think a bit of inventory hacking to get some stoked flames could lead to some very nice looking structures...
I don't think that would work. The stoked fire would disappear after a few seconds since it wouldn't be getting blown by a bellows.
Au contraire!
Hacked stoked flames can burn forever on some netherrack just like normal flames.
All you need is bacon and duct tape.
devak

Post by devak »

morvelaira wrote:That's the impression I've gotten, at least, from all of the "I feel bad you have to fix Mojang's problems" comments lately. I could be wrong but I think people have the impression that you're doing the Hardcore features because those features are irrevocably broken the way Mojang has presented them, and you want to remake them in the BTW image. I also think those people don't necessarily pay as much attention to the mod and forums as I and the other turtles do, though.

I can tell you that i said that because i've seen quite a few of FC's comments on the code, and it seems that sometimes he has to fix MC before he can mod it.

Truth be told, quite a few of the vanilla fixes are the way i would've wanted vanilla to work. Bonemeal is one thing. insta-growth was an absolute thorn in my eye. The breeding mechanics and the "mobfarm modifications" are two other things i would've wanted for vanilla.

It sometimes seems like the developers want to compensate for the amount of technic mods out there. When someone asked jeb about mechanical power or, well, essentially functional blocks, he said "aren't there enough technic mods out there?".

So yea, my comment was about minecraft appearing broken. But that could also be because this mod asks quite a bit from the game code-wise, and is in a state of gameplay modification where mods would not fit in both on the code-end and the game-play end.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Sadat-X wrote:Is light color defined by a hex color code per source?
I think I heard somewhere that it was just a texture overlay, although multiple colors of light would be amazing.
Just checked, light uses (in the minecraft.jar) environment/light_normal.png
Anbaric

Post by Anbaric »

BinoAl wrote:
Sadat-X wrote:Is light color defined by a hex color code per source?
I think I heard somewhere that it was just a texture overlay, although multiple colors of light would be amazing.
Just checked, light uses (in the minecraft.jar) environment/light_normal.png
Yeah, Like BinoAI said, it's just a texture overlay. The cool thing is that .png file holds two colors of light. One from the sun/sky, and one from sources the player can manipulate. That's why torchlight is a bit redder. So if you wanted, you could make all artificial lights have a blue tinge. Unfortunately, all lights use the same file. So you can't have Redstone Lamps use one color, torches another, and Light Blocks yet another.
Katalliaan wrote:The new flames look great, but from what you've said, I get the feeling that they won't be texture pack-friendly.
As for the stoked flames being texture pack friendly, I don't think it would be much harder to edit, the only difference would be the size of the frames used for the animation. 16x32 instead of 16x16.
Things about me.
Show
1: I hate all updates past 1.2.5. Server lag in SP?!?
2: I've never made it to SFS.
3:
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

Anbaric wrote:As for the stoked flames being texture pack friendly, I don't think it would be much harder to edit, the only difference would be the size of the frames used for the animation. 16x32 instead of 16x16.
Actually it's still 16x16 since only bottom block texture is changed, top block uses the the regular fore texture.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Do texture pack artists generally retexture fire? No? Ah...guess that takes care of that problem.
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

FlowerChild wrote:Do texture pack artists generally retexture fire? No? Ah...guess that takes care of that problem.
They do usually.
DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

NO SUGGESTION, JUST A QUESTION FROM SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T KNOW SQUAT ABOUT JAVA!
Stupid question, but wouldn't each item which produces light reference the light emitting texture interdependently? Hence redstone putting off a certain level, redstone torches a bit more, torches bright? What I'm saying, in as BASIC as possible,
10 IF LIGHT EMITTING THEN 20 ELSE END
20 INPUT LEVEL
30 IF 15 THEN SUNLIGHT ELSE TORCHLIGHT
40 REF light_normal.png
50 GOTO 10

Line 40, that could be changed theoretically. I know in Java it wouldn't be as simple as replacing a ref line, but still, couldn't it be done?

Edit:Forgot a giant disclaimer...
FlowerChild wrote:I'm drawing a line in the soul sand.
finite8 wrote:Give me all your diamonds and your enchanted gear or your base is going to resemble a Chunk Error.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DocHussey wrote:NO SUGGESTION, JUST A QUESTION FROM SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T KNOW SQUAT ABOUT JAVA!
Stupid question, but wouldn't each item which produces light reference the light emitting texture interdependently? Hence redstone putting off a certain level, redstone torches a bit more, torches bright? What I'm saying, in as BASIC as possible,
10 IF LIGHT EMITTING THEN 20 ELSE END
20 INPUT LEVEL
30 IF 15 THEN SUNLIGHT ELSE TORCHLIGHT
40 REF light_normal.png
50 GOTO 10

Line 40, that could be changed theoretically. I know in Java it wouldn't be as simple as replacing a ref line, but still, couldn't it be done?

Edit:Forgot a giant disclaimer...
This is rapidly spiraling off-topic, which is where you should be asking these questions if you're really interested.

Basically forcing me to read through this kind of uninformed speculation when I am directly involved with a thread is not cool. Future infractions of this kind will be met with temp/permanent bans.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ferrus.Manus wrote: They do usually.
I don't even see how that's possible without some kind of external mod given that there are no fire textures within MC. As I said, it's an algorithm which generates textures on the fly, which is why fire never loops in its animation. As such, there's no texture, just code.

And if this is dependent on an external mod, then this is becoming a discussion about compatibility, at which point...
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

It's functionality provided by MCPatcher (and Optifine and Spoutcraft, but they're not compatible). So, you might not see a different fire in a 16x pack, but it's common to see it in 32x and up packs, since it'd be strange to have one texture that's lower-resolution than everything else.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Katalliaan wrote:It's functionality provided by MCPatcher (and Optifine and Spoutcraft, but they're not compatible). So, you might not see a different fire in a 16x pack, but it's common to see it in 32x and up packs, since it'd be strange to have one texture that's lower-resolution than everything else.
Please consult the rule in the OP pertaining to bitching about unreleased features.
Panda

Post by Panda »

FlowerChild wrote:Do texture pack artists generally retexture fire? No? Ah...guess that takes care of that problem.
.... >.> .... I'm super excited about animating this new fire btw : )
Never say no to Panda.
Anbaric

Post by Anbaric »

Panda wrote:
.... >.> .... I'm super excited about animating this new fire btw : )
Me too. It's something different, never been done before, to my knowledge.
Things about me.
Show
1: I hate all updates past 1.2.5. Server lag in SP?!?
2: I've never made it to SFS.
3:
Splee999

Post by Splee999 »

Those flames are gorgeous! One of the things I love about this mod is the way you take time to tweak the little things while working on seriously awesome stuff in the background.
Doodles

Post by Doodles »

Hey, maybe it's time to re-write the horrendously broken lighting engine. Maybe some nice blue light for those nice blue flames. :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Doodles wrote:Hey, maybe it's time to re-write the horrendously broken lighting engine. Maybe some nice blue light for those nice blue flames. :)
Welcome to the forums! Good bye!
Dwarg91

Post by Dwarg91 »

DaveYanakov wrote:Aesthetics aside, this change serves an important gameplay purpose in not leading players to assume that you need to leave space above the stoked flame in order to get the extra heat. Now it will be obvious that the blue flame is enough, which will make more compact machine designs more intuitive.

Plus it looks damned good.
Wait so that means that I DONT need to have the barrier around my stewing pots and crucibles one block higher?
(Goes to fix many stoaked builds)
As a side note the stoaked fire texture looks lovely.