Pumps Breaking / Disabling Do To Items

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Ecoweb

Pumps Breaking / Disabling Do To Items

Post by Ecoweb »

I would like to suggest a filter or grate of sorts to be added to pumps to prevent items from clogging them. If items get into the pump it breaks or becomes disabled.
Mason11987

Re: Pumps Breaking / Disabling Do To Items

Post by Mason11987 »

Ecoweb wrote:I would like to suggest a filter or grate of sorts to be added to pumps to prevent items from clogging them. If items get into the pump it breaks or becomes disabled.
I didn't know this happened. If that's how it works I'm sure it was done intentionally in order to balance the value of it.

You could put a hole under your water stream, with a sign, then below that a cactus, all items will be destroyed, or just a hole and they'll disappear. Both would work fine.

why are your items flowing into your pump anyway?
Last edited by Mason11987 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

You wouldn't need a grate in the machine, as you could use a half block or hopper just in front of it to trap items. So really, it's just the idea that it breaks if an item hits the intake.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
M!C

Post by M!C »

TheAnarchitect wrote:You wouldn't need a grate in the machine, as you could use a half block or hopper just in front of it to trap items. So really, it's just the idea that it breaks if an item hits the intake.
Yeah, that's the part of the idea I like so much.

You can either take care to not have stuff drop into your waterways or protect your pumps with a hopper which you'll have to power or empty at certain intervalls (if there's lots of stuff dropping in).
Ecoweb

Post by Ecoweb »

Correct, add the feature to break or disable a pump IF an item gets into it. Think weather and a windmill.
The_Ender_lord

Post by The_Ender_lord »

FC be lockin'...
*Whistle nochalantly*
All you need is bacon and duct tape.
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

Personally I like the idea. Pumps should be screwed up when someone messes with them. I had something similar in mind, where it was just limited to glue that would stop it, and soap to make it work again.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Last_Jedi_Standing

Post by Last_Jedi_Standing »

Elevatator wrote:Personally I like the idea. Pumps should be screwed up when someone messes with them. I had something similar in mind, where it was just limited to glue that would stop it, and soap to make it work again.
I see what you did there.

So, at the moment items just hit the pump and stop, like any other block, right? So they're already useless for long-range item transport. This would just mean that instead of stopping, the pump broke.

It's not a bad idea, but it might need a little refinement. IRL, some small items would probably go up the screw along with the water, like string or seeds. Larger ones, like tools, would jam it up. This could be another part of the filtration system that way - one that sorts by buoyancy or whatever. My example was by size, but you know what I mean.
DO-RO'IK VONG PRATTE!
Ecoweb

Post by Ecoweb »

I don't think it should take away from the function of a hopper, perhaps I was incorrect with saying filter. I just meant anything besides water going in could cause the pump to break or become disabled, again much like the feature of the weather and a windmill's gearbox.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

That's actually why there's already a grate in the recipe, and why the visual representation of the Screw Pumps has both the intake and outtake covered by that grate.

I don't see items getting in and breaking the pump really adding anything to gameplay.
M!C

Post by M!C »

FlowerChild wrote:That's actually why there's already a grate in the recipe, and why the visual representation of the Screw Pumps has both the intake and outtake covered by that grate.

I don't see items getting in and breaking the pump really adding anything to gameplay.
Well, apart from having to protect your pumps from stray saplings and other spilled items, it doesn't add much. I guess if it takes longer than maybe 20 minutes it's not really worth it.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

M!C wrote: Well, apart from having to protect your pumps from stray saplings and other spilled items, it doesn't add much. I guess if it takes longer than maybe 20 minutes it's not really worth it.
It's not. That's why I opted for the grate in the recipe and textures.

I already thought this one through during the block's development, so nothing is being suggested here that I didn't already consider.
Armethis

Post by Armethis »

Funnily that you would say that because I was pondering the merits of quite the opposite; Allowing certain items to pass through the pump unimpeded but having larger items clog up the pump.

Rough rules were;

1. Pump may only pass "ground" material
2. material moves through the pump with the flow of the water (thus is raised a single level in the process)
3. other items entering the pump would cause it to stop and break the first attached axle (or gearbox) to fix was thinking;
a. stop the incoming flow and pour a bucket down the top of the unit* OR
b. break the pump and craft it with soap and a bucket of water (soap is consumed, empty bucket returned)

*I'll admit that it may be more trouble to code that then it's worth.

But I guess people don't like the notion of stuff moving through the pump, I would have thought that the specifically non compressing design of an Archimedes screw would have been an ideal elevator.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Armethis wrote:Funnily that you would say that because I was pondering the merits of quite the opposite; Allowing certain items to pass through the pump unimpeded but having larger items clog up the pump.

Rough rules were;

1. Pump may only pass "ground" material
2. material moves through the pump with the flow of the water (thus is raised a single level in the process)
3. other items entering the pump would cause it to stop and break the first attached axle (or gearbox) to fix was thinking;
a. stop the incoming flow and pour a bucket down the top of the unit* OR
b. break the pump and craft it with soap and a bucket of water (soap is consumed, empty bucket returned)

*I'll admit that it may be more trouble to code that then it's worth.

But I guess people don't like the notion of stuff moving through the pump, I would have thought that the specifically non compressing design of an Archimedes screw would have been an ideal elevator.

The problem with this is that there is already an elevator in the mod, one that has it's own interesting challenges and functions.

Basically this would be a way to MUCH more easily lift items upwards which is one of the more complicated and interesting challenges in BTW.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Enough already.