New Subforum for server posts

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Adjudicator79

New Subforum for server posts

Post by Adjudicator79 »

Given the immense interest that SMP BTW had created, I believe that the forums would be well served by having a new subforum specifically for server advertising. I currently don't have an interest in SMP, and when I go into the standard BTW discussion forum, I end up spending quite a bit of time wading through server related posts to see what might be new about the actual functioning of the mod itself.

I'm not suggesting that discussion about SMP mechanics or features should be moved, just the growing number of threads advertising publicly available BTW servers. Put them all in one place so people looking for a server can go there, and the rest of us can keep up on the discussions actually related to the mod.

Thanks,
Adj
Last_Jedi_Standing

Re: New Subforum for server posts

Post by Last_Jedi_Standing »

Has been suggested, FlowerChild's response.
FlowerChild wrote:Yeah, obvious suggestion is obvious.
DO-RO'IK VONG PRATTE!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Dude...you've been here long enough to search the subforum before posting suggestions.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

To elaborate on why this is a bad idea and hopefully avoid such obvious suggestions in the future:

I'm not going to create a sub-forum for five threads. Over-categorization is community death.

Take a look at the IC, or to a lesser extent, the BC forums to see what I mean. If you prematurely create too many sub-forums it fractures the community and creates virtual ghost towns in various corners of your community. On top of that people get confused and don't know where to post when presented with too many options, and if they see a sub-forum is dead, they're unlikely to post there anyways.

This is why these forums began with only a single sub-forum (general discussion) and I expanded it from there only when I felt the time was right for a sub-forum to be justified and self-sustaining.

So yes, please don't try to kill the community by making these obvious and premature suggestions to subdivide the forums further.