Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Foxy Boxes

Re: Morvelaira's News Compilation

Post by Foxy Boxes »

FlowerChild wrote:It's just rather frustrating to see this thing run in circles when all I really want out of it is extended block IDs and textures indices.
In terms of base class edits, how many would it take to implement this yourself, and if Mojang continue delaying would you consider doing it yourself? That said, please don't feel I'm trying to push you into doing it, just curious.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
chaoticneutral

Post by chaoticneutral »

FlowerChild wrote:I think it's pretty apparent from the bugginess of the features that have been coming out man.

Notch was a single guy working alone for much of MC's development, and he had no intention of making an API for a lot of it. So of course he took shortcuts, that was perfectly understandable.

The new stuff I'm seeing now though...not so much.
I always attributed the bugginess to dealing with code other person wrote, not yourself. But now thinking in it, cocoa beans and trading wouldn't need to mess much with the old code and were buggy as hell when implemented, so I got your point.
FlowerChild wrote:Anyways, it's really not right to discuss this kind of thing based on hearsay or what have you. Unless you're a programmer and have looked into the code yourself, it's probably best to assess the end results...not the code.
For this reason I asked if it's true for you, I'm aware my experience with programming is just a bunch of Python and bash, not really meaningful for this (just that common exercises, like Hello World and FizzBuzz).
--Who do you think you are, War?
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

Foxy Boxes wrote:In terms of base class edits, how many would it take to implement this yourself, and if Mojang continue delaying would you consider doing it yourself? That said, please don't feel I'm trying to push you into doing it, just curious.
If I remember properly he doesn't want to do it because he can't be sure that the solution he would came up with will be compatible with the solution mojang will use.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

As far as the infinite texture indicies, I think there's hope. Grumm is currently heading up a rewrite of what they're calling the rendering code. Assuming this is the infinite texture indicies, or includes it, he has dated himself, saying he expects this task to be complete in six weeks or so. Assuming 1.4 happens at Halloween as planned, this will likelly be included then.

Again, this is just inferences, but I have hope here.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

So....this new snapshot then.

...at least the beacon looks cool.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Stormweaver wrote:So....this new snapshot then.

And the new nether mob and the way the wither boss can be spawned it's pretty cool. I like the recipe for the beacon, hard so far. I'm sure the mcf crowd will complain and it will be made easier eventually.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

SterlingRed wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:So....this new snapshot then.

And the new nether mob and the way the wither boss can be spawned it's pretty cool.
The wither boss, yes. The nether mob, not so much. It's basically an always-aggro zombie pigman that drops coal. Makes a cool hat though, I admit.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Stormweaver wrote:The wither boss, yes. The nether mob, not so much. It's basically an always-aggro zombie pigman that drops coal. Makes a cool hat though, I admit.
What's wrong with that? We know vmc combat sucks. A new mob in the nether well cause a few more player deaths and up the difficulty a bit while providing us with new sorting opportunities for a resource that is already limitless. New way to automate coal production and grinding.
It's not a major feature but it's not bad either
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

SterlingRed wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:The wither boss, yes. The nether mob, not so much. It's basically an always-aggro zombie pigman that drops coal. Makes a cool hat though, I admit.
What's wrong with that? We know vmc combat sucks. A new mob in the nether well cause a few more player deaths and up the difficulty a bit while providing us with new sorting opportunities for a resource that is already limitless. New way to automate coal production and grinding.
It's not a major feature but it's not bad either
I am much more interested how many times we can summon the wither boss

Edit: Perhabs they change the drop, like they have done with feathers. (clay would be fun :D)
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
Sage

Post by Sage »

A small detail that I've appreciated is that the configuration to summon the wither is hinted in a new vanilla panting. It remember me someone...
FlowerChild wrote:
Serjo44 wrote:today i was banned on ip for reason: <dances>
what i have do wrong?
Whatever it is...you just did it again.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

6:53 AM
EvilSeph: Yes! Just launched the #Minecraft Pocket Edition bug tracker powered by @JIRA, kindly provided to us by @Atlassian. Seems to be going well!
https://twitter.com/EvilSeph/status/243708585694093313
The next step for this guy is to launch the bug tracker for the API. That will get the ball rolling on that business. So, hooray!
Added Wither Skeleton mob which only shows up in the Nether
Drops Bones and Coal
Really? Really?! *sigh*
Edit: To clarify, it's the dropping of coal from mobs that I object to the most.
Added new decoration blocks

Skeleton Skull
Wither Skeleton Skull
Zombie Head
Creeper Head
Head
Can be used as hats
Wearing the heads of my enemies as hats is at least amusing.
Carrots and Potatoes can now be found in either Villages or growing in Jungle Biomes.
Growing in villages makes sense. Not sure about why they'd be in Jungles and not plains.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

morvelaira wrote:
Added Wither Skeleton mob which only shows up in the Nether
Drops Bones and Coal
Really? Really?! *sigh*
Edit: To clarify, it's the dropping of coal from mobs that I object to the most.
They spawn only Nether Fortress, making them really hard to farm automatically, and they inflict Wither effect (poisons you + your natural regeneration heal them instead of you from what I understand) making them pretty hard to fight normally. So tree farm + kiln is probably still the best method of automatic coal production.
Sage

Post by Sage »

Yeah, it's the old objection of FlowerChild on "everything is being shifted towards combat".

Plus, I already skip coal when I mine, if now I can farm it...

In fact this mob, like blazes, spawns only in nether fortress. Someone that can look in minecraft code can confirm if they actually search and check if they are in one based on the seed or if they look if they are spawning on nether brick?
FlowerChild wrote:
Serjo44 wrote:today i was banned on ip for reason: <dances>
what i have do wrong?
Whatever it is...you just did it again.
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

morvelaira wrote:
Carrots and Potatoes can now be found in either Villages or growing in Jungle Biomes.
Growing in villages makes sense. Not sure about why they'd be in Jungles and not plains.
What is it with Mojang and Jungle biomes?! It's one of the most performance taxing biomes of the game, yet it is now one of the most common and they're chucking in a whole new set of features into it. Wow.
The Phoenixian

Post by The Phoenixian »

Own thoughts on update:

Wither skeletons:
Coal... Seriously? At least it's in the nether so that's something in return but still...Coal?

Wither made like iron golem and dropping important supplies:
BDs can create Iron and snow golems automatically yes? And dispensers have been able to fire arrows, and now dynamite for a while...

The construction still needs a proper armor or protection technique but yeah, I know what I'm building when the 1.4 update arrives. :)

Carrot on a stick:
*Rolls eyes*
♪ The screams of the souls of the damned and dying,
Fuels for me, the Industry. ♪
DxPanxD

Post by DxPanxD »

I'd guess coal is just a placeholder until a new item specific to that mob is introduced. But hey, a new non boss mob potentially means a new arcane scroll.
Apparently I'm Capitain Overcomplicate.
Six

Post by Six »

Pigs now use carrots instead of wheat to breed
I'm really happy and I'ma let you finish, but requiring carrots for pig breeding is really just re-textured wheat.

I do rather wish the carrots and potatoes had some sort of difference in their farming mechanic.
Thorium-232

Post by Thorium-232 »

DxPanxD wrote:I'd guess coal is just a placeholder until a new item specific to that mob is introduced. But hey, a new non boss mob potentially means a new arcane scroll.
This is what I like about this place. "Ooh, new vanilla feature! I wonder what FC is going to do with it."

I'm curious about this new "wither" trend, and if it's the direction Mojang is going in regards to the mostly ignored (in vMC, anyway) Nether.
Stormweaver wrote:Then you can just use the day/night cycle to separate out the adults, and put the kids in storage till you're ready to murder them.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok, this new pre-release has me *strongly* suspecting that someone with a fairly keen eye for design is either working at Mojang or has their ear, and is following BTW rather closely.

The tying paintings into the player's in-game activities thing just a few weeks after I did the same is just a little too coincidental to be purely coincidence, especially given how long the vanilla paintings have remained unchanged and largely ignored. There are other elements of this pre-release that also tie-in to what I've been working on, that I won't get into for spoiler reasons.

Not that I mind, as it makes the mod fitting the feel of vanilla that much easier when the game creators are working in that direction too ;)
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

This new mob might be interesting(although I seriously disagree with it dropping coal), but unless it can two-shot an unarmored player, I think it'll fall into the same old boring category as previous vanilla mobs, as in: not a challenge at all once you get some sort of armor, especially diamond or SFS. I'm still waiting for the non-boss mob that will make me run screaming in the opposite direction unless I've got Protection 5 on all of my SFS armor.

I like the painting being tied into the summoning ritual though :)

EDIT: ninja'd by the man himself
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Chickens now use Seeds instead Wheat to breed
LOL.
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

Rianaru wrote:but unless it can two-shot an unarmored player
If the mc wiki is correct - yes it can on hard (6 hearts per hit), and possibly on normal (4 hearts + it poisons you).
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Really? Kudos to vanilla then. I didn't think they had it in them :) On the other hand(and I really don't know how this will turn out) if armor makes you near invincible like it does to other mobs, I'd be much less excited :(

A short while later:

DxPanxD

Post by DxPanxD »

Rianaru wrote:This new mob might be interesting(although I seriously disagree with it dropping coal), but unless it can two-shot an unarmored player, I think it'll fall into the same old boring category as previous vanilla mobs, as in: not a challenge at all once you get some sort of armor, especially diamond or SFS. I'm still waiting for the non-boss mob that will make me run screaming in the opposite direction unless I've got Protection 5 on all of my SFS armor.

I like the painting being tied into the summoning ritual though :)

EDIT: ninja'd by the man himself

On hard an enderman can two shot an unarmored player as well. Zombies with certain weapons can probably do it too since the weapon damage is added to their base damage.
Apparently I'm Capitain Overcomplicate.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Well I sure feel stupid now...

A short while later: