Hardcore sheep (spoilerish)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Re: Hardcore sheep (spoilerish)

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote:
Yup, I'll clear that point up as it may not be obvious:

Sheep dyed pre-3.94 behave as if their natural color is that of the dye. This prevents breakage of existing systems with the new feature, and is also the only reasonable assumption for me to make given that sheep previously did not store their original color.
Gotta catch'em all colored sheep?
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Sarudak wrote:
Gotta catch'em all colored sheep?
I'm not sure that's the inference exactly. Anyway i would imagine not. Do blue sheep or magenta sheep or aqua sheep even spawn in teh world naturally ?

Has anybody tried altering the diet of sheep, letting them graze on surfaces they normally wouldn't be able to eat from, like mycelium or maybe the groth(assuming you can get that into the overworld as i couldn't when i tried but i didn't attempt to use a BD)? Epigenetics!
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

It has to be genetics. Lets assume the original 'natural' colors are still white, gray, dark gray, black, brown, and pink. Unfortunately, I just can't quite get to blue or yellow from any of these color combinations.
If it works like genetics are supposed to, dying or feeding them dye, won't actually change their genes and therefore can't pass that on to offspring.
I'd bet the 'natural' colors are the dominant phenotypes which would make for interesting mechanics, too.
Sometimes I think everyone else is smarter than me, then I realize everyone else is smarter then me.
ZeroKnight

Post by ZeroKnight »

Thinking about HCB, once you tame a few sheep, do they spawn in the world anymore?
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

I don't know if this is intended or if maybe something went wrong. But I assembled a mass of newborns, dyed one of each color and threw em all in the same pit together. Interesting results came out of it...
Spoiler
Show
First off, I got more than 8 babies... there were like 10.
Second off, among them were 1 yellow lamb and 1 black lamb.
Again... maybe the massive sheep orgy broke something... but that's what I got.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
Williamson

Post by Williamson »

When FC said that it works how we would expect it to, my thoughts were drawn to HCB, and I had a mental image of people running around with buckets of liquid sheep, unable to place them down without it just washing away. :P

Edit:
OT: Ribky: what were the colors of the others? All white?

While a genetics system would be cool, I'd be surprised if this were that, as it seems like a fair bit of effort, and doesn't really add much to gameplay other than just manually breeding a bunch of sheep until you get the ones you want....
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Williamson wrote: OT: Ribky: what were the colors of the others? All white?
One of each color, as he said.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
DxPanxD

Post by DxPanxD »

Itamarcu wrote:
Williamson wrote: OT: Ribky: what were the colors of the others? All white?
One of each color, as he said.
I think he meant what other colors were born. The assumption that they were white is probably correct though.
Apparently I'm Capitain Overcomplicate.
kazerima

Post by kazerima »

This sort of came to mind...

FlowerChild wrote:BANG! BANG! BANG!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!! GET OUT OF FUCKING MY HEAD! HIRE A FUCKING GAME DESIGNER! Fuck.
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

Ribky wrote:I don't know if this is intended or if maybe something went wrong. But I assembled a mass of newborns, dyed one of each color and threw em all in the same pit together. Interesting results came out of it...
Spoiler
Show
First off, I got more than 8 babies... there were like 10.
Second off, among them were 1 yellow lamb and 1 black lamb.
Again... maybe the massive sheep orgy broke something... but that's what I got.
random mutations to get different colours? (which I'm assuming have dominant and recessive properties and we'll have to breed in the characteristics you want)
FC you magnificent bastard :D

I'll get my punnett square:D
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

This brings back so many memories of first year biology...
FlowerChild, you astound me with your ability to put new features in with your regularly scheduled programming!
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
Larmantine

Post by Larmantine »

If it involves genetics, then I am sold on this feature.
weldaSB wrote:Edit: grammer
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ah, now we're *beginning* to understand ;)

In my play-through while porting to 1.3, I came across a lime-green sheep. I was pleasantly surprised (I don't even know how it happened, as the vanilla MC code isn't supposed to be able to produce them), but then quickly realized "oh, well...I could just dye one lime-green and get the same thing", and I walked away.

However, the sheep kept hanging out near my house throughout my playthrough, and like a thorn in my side kept reminding me "man, that sheep really should be worth something", which eventually evolved into "wouldn't it be cool if....".

Hardcore Sheep is what resulted.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Would it be possible to breed in other characteristics than wool color?

A short while later:

Thordan Ssoa

Post by Thordan Ssoa »

Rianaru wrote:Would it be possible to breed in other characteristics than wool color?
What other characteristics do they have?
FlowerChild wrote:Never have I seen folks have this much fun with sheep without wearing a kilt.
FlowerChild wrote:you haven't seen a fight scene until you've seen one with horse schlongs swinging free
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote:I came across a lime-green sheep. I was pleasantly surprised (I don't even know how it happened, as the vanilla MC code isn't supposed to be able to produce them)
B-b-but how???
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Thordan Ssoa wrote:
Rianaru wrote:Would it be possible to breed in other characteristics than wool color?
Feed them something and receive fearsome bloodthirsty soul devouring sheep? I'm not in a position to test if there are are other characteristics, but it could be that or maybe increased yield per shearing or something.

A short while later:

Rawny

Post by Rawny »

At work, a few hours ago I tried passing a few of these sheepies through a saw. My brain tried to make a link to FC's mind and thought about placenta. Thought white sheep through a saw equalled red wool.
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

Thordan Ssoa wrote:
Shearing yield, health, hostile/peaceful/neutral, attack strength, speed of wool growth, carnivorous/hervivorous/omnivorous.

imagine the possibilities, we may be seeing in chat logs: <Player> cancels farming, killed by Sheep
*begins plotting gene sequence for high health, low yield, hostile, slow wool growing, carnivorous, white sheep* (just imagine unleashing that on the world, looks the same as a normal sheep, but is ridiculously powerful, nigh impossible to kill, and completely psychopathic, and after all of the trouble, the gain is just not worth it :D)
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

I've always wanted to be a geneticist. To be fair, it's because I want to bring back dinosaurs and see what they taste like... but whatever, that's beside the point.

It is time to set up a massive sheep farm of epic proportions for selective breeding. Hello Dolly!
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

This looks like something that might require a lot of testing, I started the Hardcore Sheep page on the wiki with my first tests:

http://sargunster.com/btw/index.php?tit ... core_Sheep

It's pretty funny that a lime green sheep was what inspired FC, as that was my first "Mutant".

Edit - I have a feeling that there are:
  • regular breeding results, like (brown + brown = brown)
  • uncommon "blends" like (lime green + black = green)
  • and very rare "mutations" like (brown + brown = yellow, or brown + white = lime green).
Haven't found any real rules though.
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

Yes!!! I [almost] nailed it. I've wanting this since breeding was implemented.
Sometimes I think everyone else is smarter than me, then I realize everyone else is smarter then me.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Marasambala wrote:Yes!!! I [almost] nailed it. I've wanting this since breeding was implemented.
Yeah... I think it's even deeper then I first assumed. I just bred two brown and two black (that were likely products of earlier breeding) and got a lime green and a green.

Perhaps recessive genes?
Last edited by Mason11987 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Link

Post by Link »

This is quite an interesting feature... At first I thought hardcore sheep was that sheep acted like they did pre-1.2(?) and never regrow their wool. it's quite different from what I expected from it in the first place and adds a lot more work then dyeing each of the sheep once, and instead makes it so that you have to combine sheep with two different colors to get a color that is permanent. This is something I greatly look forward to trying out when I get on my computer that can actually handle 1.3 SSP.

EDIT: Ninjaed on the description...
FlowerChild wrote: Never have I seen folks have this much fun with sheep without wearing a kilt.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Okay, I was able to start with one white and one brown sheep and I'm on the verge of getting a full set of 16 pairs of "naturally colored" sheep.

I got some pairs through weird matches (brown+white=lime green) but the vast majority were mixes that you would expect, (blue+red=purple, white+red=pink, etc.) I wonder if it's possible to get all the colors just by breeding white sheep, I wouldn't be surprised.