Hardcore sheep (spoilerish)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Battosay

Hardcore sheep (spoilerish)

Post by Battosay »

Since it's an enigmatic new feature, let's share what we found about it here :)
And no, I don't know anything yet :p
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Hardcore sheep (spoilerish)

Post by FlowerChild »

They're very very naughty sheep.
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

FlowerChild wrote:They're very very naughty sheep.
I am guessing the breeding harness is involved, maybe a "manual" application? :D
Elensaar

Post by Elensaar »

Well, a quick test confirms that wool doesn't regrow in the colour you dye the sheep, it regrows white. Also babies are born white.

Also, I don't know if this was the case earlier, but a sheep wearing a breeding harness cannot be sheared, and it's rump looks sheared already.

EDIT: Actually, slight correction here. It seems that two black sheep will give birth to a black baby, while two orange ones will not give an orange one. So maybe they retain "natural" colours, like black or gray, while the "unnatural" ones, like blue or orange give birth to white babies. More testing!
Lots of planets have a north...!
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

So far my sheep keep their color in my wool farm.
They're sheared by BD, and do not wear breeding harness.
Elensaar

Post by Elensaar »

Battosay wrote:So far my sheep keep their color in my wool farm.
They're sheared by BD, and do not wear breeding harness.
That might be a difference between pre- and post-hardcore sheep, I think. I just set up a small test, and my blue sheep, sheared by a BD, regrew white wool.
Lots of planets have a north...!
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

So with this change, is FC trying to encourage us to get our wool from spider string in our mob farms now? Or is there a secret underlying reason for this change?
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

CycloneSP wrote:So with this change, is FC trying to encourage us to get our wool from spider string in our mob farms now? Or is there a secret underlying reason for this change?
I think he's trying to make us dye wool in cauldrons.
shifty

Post by shifty »

CycloneSP wrote:So with this change, is FC trying to encourage us to get our wool from spider string in our mob farms now? Or is there a secret underlying reason for this change?
My guess would be that it is to encourage you to build dye farms i.e. flower farm, cactus farm ect.
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

he did say that we'd only scratched the surface when TheAnarchitect posted about the wool changing back to white...
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Whooohoooo!! Hardcore sheep!
Spoiler
Show
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Sandrew wrote:
And that is certainly not a bad thing to encourage. But for me personally, that will make acquiring large amounts of the blue shades of wool quite painful as lapis is one of the few non-renewable resources in the game. And being an automation freak, I try to use all my lapis for redstone eyes for block detectors and buddy blocks. (that and I just plain suck at collecting large amounts of lapis)

ZeroKnight

Post by ZeroKnight »

CycloneSP wrote:
Sandrew wrote:
And that is certainly not a bad thing to encourage. But for me personally, that will make acquiring large amounts of the blue shades of wool quite painful as lapis is one of the few non-renewable resources in the game. And being an automation freak, I try to use all my lapis for redstone eyes for block detectors and buddy blocks. (that and I just plain suck at collecting large amounts of lapis)
Well, it seems that lapis is the only non-automatic dye (aside from ink sacks but black is a natural color), I will have to cut down my use of blue and purple wool, unless of course this remains in the config. If natural sheep regrow their wool, we still don't have much a use for our cocoa bean farms. And, unless natural pink sheep were removed, we also wont need to make pink dye.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Anyone tried putting two sheep in breeding harnesses over an urn and smearing dung all over them?
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

if only we had a way of making a blue pigment

apparently, the first synthetic blue pigment "prussian blue" was made accidentally from iron sulphate, and contaminated potash (it oil spilled on it)

we have iron, sulphur, and potash already, and hemp seeds are pretty good at releasing oil
hmmmmm....

also, fun fact: prussian blue became so popular because it meant that there was finally another way of obtaining blue pigments, the only other way? Lapis lazuli :P (at the time, there was only one mine that had lapis in the world)

I wonder if I should make a formal suggestion about this?
it gives a logical use for that sulphur and hemp seeds we get tons of, and it's one of those chemistry puzzles like dynamite and nether sludge that FC likes. plus, it gives us a renewable way of obtaining blue dye without affecting the way we get lapis

(plus, imagine the automation for it :P we'd need a golem, hemp, creeper, and wood farm linked together)
Splee999

Post by Splee999 »

Calcifire3691 wrote:if only we had a way of making a blue pigment

apparently, the first synthetic blue pigment "prussian blue" was made accidentally from iron sulphate, and contaminated potash (it oil spilled on it)

we have iron, sulphur, and potash already, and hemp seeds are pretty good at releasing oil
hmmmmm....

also, fun fact: prussian blue became so popular because it meant that there was finally another way of obtaining blue pigments, the only other way? Lapis lazuli :P (at the time, there was only one mine that had lapis in the world)

I wonder if I should make a formal suggestion about this?
it gives a logical use for that sulphur and hemp seeds we get tons of, and it's one of those chemistry puzzles like dynamite and nether sludge that FC likes. plus, it gives us a renewable way of obtaining blue dye without affecting the way we get lapis

(plus, imagine the automation for it :P we'd need a golem, hemp, creeper, and wood farm linked together)
Keep your barely veiled suggestions to the appropriate forum please.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

But please, do take it over there.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Agreed. I'm usually not a dyed wool user, I can see where alot of people(especially Battosay with his huge orange flowerpot that probably took way too many stacks of wool) would get annoyed/discouraged by the change to hardcore sheep. Plus, at least it seems as if it's difficult and expensive enough to be balanced.
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

TheAnarchitect wrote:But please, do take it over there.
will do (unsure if sarcastic or not, assuming not)
*dons gimp suit*
I pray FC is gentle
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

yes, well, not all of us can be like battosay and find 3 super conveniently placed spider spawners at almost the very beginning of our world and turn it into a super wool production factory/exp farm. Don't deny it, that is where he got most of his wool and glue from for most of his early game.

But I digress as I feel like this conversation is getting a tad off topic. Sorry guys.

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

You guys are still way off base in how this all works, which is rather surprising to me as Hardcore Sheep just works as you might expect it to.
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

FlowerChild wrote:You guys are still way off base in how this all works, which is rather surprising to me as Hardcore Sheep just works as you might expect it to.

Is it possible if you could tell us if we should test this feature with unmodified sheep we find in the world or can we still test this feature with our pre-3.9.4 sheep that have been colored or breed and get the behavior that "hardcore sheep" are intended to have ?
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

I tried playing them smooth jazz with the disc player and it didn't get them in the mood.... so what do you mean exactly how we might expect it to work?
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

Do sheep drop wool when killed?
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Kazuya Mishima wrote: Is it possible if you could tell us if we should test this feature with unmodified sheep we find in the world or can we still test this feature with our pre-3.9.4 sheep that have been colored or breed and get the behavior that "hardcore sheep" are intended to have ?
Yup, I'll clear that point up as it may not be obvious:

Sheep dyed pre-3.94 behave as if their natural color is that of the dye. This prevents breakage of existing systems with the new feature, and is also the only reasonable assumption for me to make given that sheep previously did not store their original color.