Anvil memory

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Graphite

Anvil memory

Post by Graphite »

I can't count the number of times I've had most of the recipe of a block detector or block dispenser on the anvil only to realise I didn't grab enough soul-urns, brought insufficient redstone or forgot to craft the required redstone torches. That of course then forces me to close the anvil, causing all my carefully laid out items to pop out again. Since the anvil is a block entity now, I was wondering whether it could store the other items as well?

A downside to this suggestion would be that people might use the current functionality to quickly clear out the remainder after crafting. Personally, my OCD prevents me from doing so, but I can certainly imagine other people doing that.

An upside would be that if people created separate anvils with moulds for a variety of crafting recipes, then any leftovers would now remain on the anvil until the next time they're crafting it (for example, the leftover hemp-fibers will remain until the next time you're making more rope).

The final downside I can think of is that people might end up suggesting that a hopper should be able to fill an anvil. I'll keep some soulforged steel pokers in the fire for just that occassion though.
Itamarcu

Re: Anvil memory

Post by Itamarcu »

I like this suggestion. I can't remember the number of tmes I forgot to bring enough items either.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

I think I like this, I especially like the possibilities for my Anvil crafting room. And one of the main purposes I used Autocrafting tables for when I had BTB was to be able to hold items/recipes if I forgot something or needed it saved for later.
However, a big potential downside could be that people could just put in recipes into the Anvil without moulds and then never need moulds as they could just hold the items in the anvil, preserving the recipe. Maybe items could only stay in the anvil if there were already moulds in it?
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

The Anvil inventory only storing Moulds was an intentional design decision, and was actually the final piece that made me comfortable with the idea of the Anvil being able to store anything at all...so no.

My main problem with this is conceptual: all other storage blocks in the mod or in vanilla have space within them. The Anvil does not. Hence: no storage.