The ongoing 1.3 update epic

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
TheFlame52

Re: The ongoing 1.3 update epic

Post by TheFlame52 »

I can feed you tortured souls while you code, if that would help. They aren't that hard to come by.
Marasambala wrote:
Eriottosan wrote:Is there a word for feeling utter pleasure but immense terror at the same time? If so, that's the word I'm looking for!
Love
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

At the risk of speaking for FC, he typically works alone. I'm sure he appreciates the offers of help, but is unlikely to accept any of them. Donations and continued well wishes (and good behaviour on the forums) is the best way to help him.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

FlowerChild wrote:I'm creating this thread so I can post things I discover while updating to 1.3 (I always turn up a few things in the code relevant to players), but others should feel free to contribute any new information they discover as well.
I realize this thread has evolved to your update experiences, but I thought I'd share some information concerning what I consider a major bug. Nether portals appear to be moving some players before chunks are fully loaded, causing them to fall through the world into the void, or suffocate, and other nastiness.

This wiki page is messy, but it has various reports.
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Known ... sion_1.3.1 CTRL+F: portal

video:
Spoiler
Show
It sounds like you may not have encountered it since you traveled through your nether to a new location for testing. I'm mentioning it here since the Nether is integral to this mod, and this bug in vMC 1.3.1 can severely impact this version. I want to be clear that I am not suggesting or requesting that you should fix Mojang's error.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

That is a vanilla bug, and not something he needs to deal with right now. Yes, it is a serious bug to be sure, but there are more important things for him to deal with than Mojang's bugs.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Though it's a good thing to be aware of it ;)
Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

My intention was to inform FlowerChild of a potential source of annoying tech support requests that have nothing whatever to do with his mod, but may be encountered by players due to this mod's reliance on the Nether for progression.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

I know it was good intentions :) I've just seen him say similar things while updating here with other bugs and issues.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I actually fell through my world when I stepped through to my new location last night :)

It resulted in a 'wtf?' moment, but it seemed to reset my position properly once it had loaded the chunk from the server.
odranoel

Post by odranoel »

best wishes on the update FC. you have single handedly reinvented an already amazing game to be even more ridiculously amazing. no small feat by any standards.

im sure everyone will agree with me when i say that waiting for your updates is worth every second.

the community loves you, even if some have a strange way of showing it. im sure even the trolls do their thing out of misplaced love for your awesomeness, and you banning them is your way of saying "i love you too". :D

tonight, i sacrifice 100 wolves in your honor.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

FlowerChild wrote:I actually fell through my world when I stepped through to my new location last night :)

It resulted in a 'wtf?' moment, but it seemed to reset my position properly once it had loaded the chunk from the server.
I've been getting that a lot, especially when I create a new world.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
akantorJojo

Post by akantorJojo »

FlowerChild wrote:@Raust: I'll know more in a bit. There is a custom packet handler in ML, but it seems pretty bare-bones, and it doesn't seem to be hooked into a lot of the vanilla functions for processing events like entity spawning and such. I'm going to dig deeper into it to see if I can figure out a way to get it to do what I want, but if not, I will likely either write my own hooks for this stuff, or I might take a look at ModloaderMP for it, as I suspect it's the kind of thing it's designed to handle.

I think what this basically amounts to is that all mods just became SMP mods in terms of the way they have to handle their data internally. I'll let you know more as I discover it.

It was funny, because the other day someone was telling me on the ML thread that updating to 1.3 isn't too bad because they managed to port over all their class files and they were compiling without error (he couldn't run it of course, because he didn't have ML yet). I was of course dubious, and I suspect he would probably revise his stance now that he can run it ;)

Just porting over the code itself was relatively easy (maybe took me ten hours of work yesterday). Getting it to all work properly on the other hand, is another matter entirely ;)
In case u did not already realize this:
Rigusami has mods out for 1.3.1 that use custom-GUIs (Shelf 1.3.1 and Armor Stand 1.3.1) and also I guess that Armor Stand uses custom Entinities (but as I´m not a modder i cant say this for sure). Therefore I belive that Rigusamis ML alredy supports custom GUIs and Mobs...

In case someone does not belive me ;) I can make a video to show that it works ; or you can try it out by your own.

I hope that FC is not getting to much problems with this updating thing... cause as far is i understood it he is going to rewrite te whole mod (in terms of: he must test all blocks and things).
Therefore GOOD LUCK with this big project I love BTW.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

akantorJojo wrote:In case u did not already realize this:
Rigusami has mods out for 1.3.1 that use custom-GUIs (Shelf 1.3.1 and Armor Stand 1.3.1) and also I guess that Armor Stand uses custom Entinities (but as I´m not a modder i cant say this for sure). Therefore I belive that Rigusamis ML alredy supports custom GUIs and Mobs...

In case someone does not belive me ;) I can make a video to show that it works ; or you can try it out by your own.

I hope that FC is not getting to much problems with this updating thing... cause as far is i understood it he is going to rewrite te whole mod (in terms of: he must test all blocks and things).
Therefore GOOD LUCK with this big project I love BTW.
Yup, I realize ML has support for that kind of thing. That's only a portion of the issues that need to be dealt with though. I don't need this kind of info so no videos please.

This is not a code rewrite. Not sure where you got that impression.
Husbag3 wrote: I've been getting that a lot, especially when I create a new world.
Yeah, there's definitely a LOT of funkiness in 1.3 with regards to what are typically multiplayer issues creeping over into single-player. It might be because I'm running in debug mode right now (which decreases performance), but what I find particularly annoying is how long it takes chunks to load or be generated, as I'm often staring through big gaping holes in my world at the cave-systems down below for extended periods before the chunks get properly loaded.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

FlowerChild wrote:Yeah, there's definitely a LOT of funkiness in 1.3 with regards to what are typically multiplayer issues creeping over into single-player. It might be because I'm running in debug mode right now (which decreases performance), but what I find particularly annoying is how long it takes chunks to load or be generated, as I'm often staring through big gaping holes in my world at the cave-systems down below for extended periods before the chunks get properly loaded.
From what I've seen, playing around with the pre-release before 1.3 was official, that is not just debug mode. Debug may be making it worse, but it was certainly noticeable before.
wolfe

Post by wolfe »

Good luck bro! It sounds like you're already making decent progress with the updating!
I play videogames, program, animate, draw, write music and play waterpolo. That makes me one unusual bowl of salsa.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I thought I'd post a screen of how I'm progressing in my new location, starting from fresh:
Spoiler
Show
I'll try to post these now and again to give a visual indication of where I am in the update, as I think it gives a pretty good idea of where I am in the tech tree at any given time.

So far I've fixed up a few problems with Dragon Orbs and Hemp Growth, and am about to start in on the Hand Crank/Mill Stone portion of the tech-tree.

For modders that may be following this making sure to call setRequiresSelfNotify() on blocks indicates that you want meta-data changes in a block to be propagated from server to client when they occur. If your block doesn't require tile entities or other funkiness, that's basically all that's required to get it working properly under 1.3. I found that function to be rather ambiguously named and commented under MCP, so I thought I'd pass that info along.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

FlowerChild wrote:I thought I'd post a screen of how I'm progressing in my new location, starting from fresh:
Spoiler
Show
I'll try to post these now and again to give a visual indication of where I am in the update, as I think it gives a pretty good idea of where I am in the tech tree at any given time.

So far I've fixed up a few problems with Dragon Orbs and Hemp Growth, and am about to start in on the Hand Crank/Mill Stone portion of the tech-tree.

For modders that may be following this making sure to call setRequiresSelfNotify() on blocks indicates that you want meta-data changes in a block to be propagated from server to client when they occur. If your block doesn't require tile entities or other funkiness, that's basically all that's required to get it working properly under 1.3. I found that function to be rather ambiguously named and commented under MCP, so I thought I'd pass that info along.
I love the idea of you posting screenshot updates through the tech tree :), awesome.
Folrig

Post by Folrig »

FC, that is a lovely log cabin you have there!

And thanks for the status updates. They are rather on the fascinating side. (Also, good luck!)
This...all of this...is just...wonky!
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Is that a nether portal way back there?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Is that a nether portal way back there?
Yeah, the one on the beach is the one I came through to get to this new area :)
Ceunon

Post by Ceunon »

Well, I suppose this is some sort of Dev' Diaries.

Keep up the good work, FC. I wish you have fun on your playthrough, and good luck with all that coding!
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote:
Sarudak wrote:Is that a nether portal way back there?
Yeah, the one on the beach is the one I came through to get to this new area :)
Oh right!

So when you want to start fresh in a new area do you just not use the nether portal until you find diamond?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:So when you want to start fresh in a new area do you just not use the nether portal until you find diamond?
No, I don't touch the portal I came through unless I'm transitioning back to an old area. I usually build a second one and go from there once I'm at that stage of development. There's a chest on the other side of that portal that contains all the equipment I dumped before coming through to this area "naked".

It's my version of starting a new world, and I try to keep everything as legitimate as possible to preserve the integrity of the play-test. I just like to have everything I've done in MC accessible all through the same world so that I can come back and revisit these locations later if I like. I usually move a certain distance from where I come through before setting up base, but in this case, I happened to land in a nice starting area and just wanted to get going from there.
STrRedWolf

Post by STrRedWolf »

Oh how we remember how Notch would blog/tweet his development of Minecraft... and now 0x10c...

Keep at it, FC!
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

FlowerChild wrote: ...setRequiresSelfNotify()
I'm not there yet but I am going to pass the thank you now because I am sure you will have saved me some time.
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Thank you, sir, for all your efforts and this thread. My coding experience consists of G code and applesoft basic from 20 years ago but I still find all the talk of the inner workings interesting.