Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
MoRmEnGiL

Re: Morvelaira's News Compilation

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Oh my..
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

Well, looks like we'll be getting redstone-in-a-box too now. Wonder how you're supposed to input cmds into it.
bmanfoley

Post by bmanfoley »

You input commands (I assume through a basic GUI), like "xp 500 player", which would give the player 500 experience points. According to a previous tweet of Jeb's, it seems that he's using this block to help implement some of the features in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFffBTwi_jY. I get the feeling it won't be in survival mode.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Don't worry, it's only intended for Adventure maps.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

bmanfoley wrote:You input commands (I assume through a basic GUI), like "xp 500 player", which would give the player 500 experience points. According to a previous tweet of Jeb's, it seems that he's using this block to help implement some of the features in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFffBTwi_jY. I get the feeling it won't be in survival mode.
That was a really good watch. I can't wait to see that implemented and see what some of those more dedicated map makers come up with using it. (Oh dear god... Vechs)

This is probably THE most welcome bit of update news from Mojang in the last few months (my personal opinion of course, but I'm an adventure map slut, after beating them I even turn the more impressive ones into one-off survival worlds for the hell of it.)
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

bmanfoley wrote:https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/228829830731427840

Jeb: "So this block http://i.imgur.com/WHpGr.png will be able to run cmds on redstone signals. With proper commands, many things can be scripted"'

Oh my
*drools a river*
If this shows a start of moving Adventure mode closer and closer to the mapmaking capabilities of, say, Adventurecraft, I'm totally sold. As of now, it won't be insanely useful, as the number of commands available in vanilla are limited, but if they add more things that we will be capable of doing through the command line, this could become a mapmaker's dream.
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
The Phoenixian

Post by The Phoenixian »

For all that this is interesting I can't help but think: Whatever happened to "Provide the tools to make the machines, not the machines themselves"?

Even if it's Creative/Adventure mode limited, this block makes me sad.
♪ The screams of the souls of the damned and dying,
Fuels for me, the Industry. ♪
DxPanxD

Post by DxPanxD »

At least it isn't what I first thought it was when I was reading the tweet. I thought it might be a logic gate block for redstone. I was kinda sad until I realized I read it wrong when he posted the example tweets.
Apparently I'm Capitain Overcomplicate.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Phew...thanks for the morning heat-attack guys :)

Well, at least it went from "AHHHHHHH! WTF!" when I thought it was going into survival, to "whatever" when I realized it wasn't :)
bmanfoley

Post by bmanfoley »

Sorry, I should have provided some explanation with that link I provided :P.

I do indeed hope this block doesn't really change anything about redstone circuits (making them smaller). Even in creative mode, I don't want to see this thing involved too much.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

I fear what will happen is that this block will be included in creative only, but so many people will want it in survival that Jeb adds an actual recipe for it :0
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

BinoAl wrote:I fear what will happen is that this block will be included in creative only
Well it's intended for adventure mode.
Joeyjoebob

Post by Joeyjoebob »

BinoAl wrote:I fear what will happen is that this block will be included in creative only, but so many people will want it in survival that Jeb adds an actual recipe for it :0
Knowing Jeb, that is incredibly likely.
TheAnarchitect wrote:
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
The other half is violence...
fearofshorts

Post by fearofshorts »

Joeyjoebob wrote:
BinoAl wrote:I fear what will happen is that this block will be included in creative only, but so many people will want it in survival that Jeb adds an actual recipe for it :0
Knowing Jeb, that is incredibly likely.
Nah, somebody tweeted a recipe suggestion to Jeb and he seemed to be pretty surprised:
jeb_ wrote:@Kalter__ It will not be craftable at all, since it's intended for adventure map designers, not normal gameplay
Also:
jeb_ wrote:@Alexxondre Yes, but only placeable by admins, of course. It's intended for adventure maps
So it probably will not even be place-able in creative mode without a command (with 'cheat' mode on).

Overall, I think Jeb wants this essentially kept as a dev-tool, secret to the masses.

EDIT: removed format-breaking period.
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Anybody know how bad 1.3 SINGLE PLAYER lag is, particularly with respect to combat? I've never played SMP or even been on a server but have watched some of the minecrack episodes where contestants just cannot hit hostile mobs with any certainty and combat descends into a finger exercise where you must spam as much as possible in a short period of time to ensure one of your button clicks connects rather then try to make a timed precision hit on a enemy. Also scanning the MCF there seems to be multiple threads on combat lag.

How bad is this ?
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:Anybody know how bad 1.3 SINGLE PLAYER lag is, particularly with respect to combat? I've never played SMP or even been on a server but have watched some of the minecrack episodes where contestants just cannot hit hostile mobs with any certainty and combat descends into a finger exercise where you must spam as much as possible in a short period of time to ensure one of your button clicks connects rather then try to make a timed precision hit on a enemy. Also scanning the MCF there seems to be multiple threads on combat lag.

How bad is this ?
Some people are having trouble with it, but it is a very small minority, and probably due to an error on their part in using the pre-release.

Some of the changes were to improve performance, and personally I've had a boost in fps in the last few snapshots and the 1.3 pre-release. It's the first time I've ever had anything other than a neverchaning 25 fps ;).

Basically: I wouldn't worry about it. It's not worth comparing old code's sometimes laggy SMP with the local server of 1.3 single player. They are two different things.
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

I believe Mojangs intention with the 1.3 development was to bring the multiplayer feeling as close to the current singleplayer as they possibly could, while also moving to a smart server/dumb client architecture. While I havent tried the pre-releases myself, the responses have been generally favourable, and unless you insist on playing minecraft on a netbook or a power-pc mac, you should most likely be fine... :)
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

What i understand is the point of the merge is to reduce teh work load on debugging as debugging must occur in multiplayer and also singleplayer. This saves them work as they only have to debug multiplayer now.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Off-topic guys. The reasons behind the client/server they've done lately has been documented to death. It hardly qualifies as news, and just throwing random bits of misinformation out there (which is exactly what you're doing right now) isn't helping anyone.
Cwrd

Post by Cwrd »

Seems like Mojang is in the process of determining which plugin Framework to use for the API. Dinnerbone is asking for Feedback here : http://www.reddit.com/r/MinecraftAPI/co ... iscussion/
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

Small thing that might not be super MC related, but Notch is having an AMA at 2:00 PM GMT +1. Link: http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/rq1nb/
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
kjbrona

Post by kjbrona »

Couple of Dinnerbone tweets:
https://twitter.com/Dinnerbone
Nathan Adams ‏@Dinnerbone
Working on small stuffs for 1.4. Zombies infecting villagers, because nothing screams "fun" like a video game zombie apocalypse!
The villager just instantly gets replaced with a zombie, for now. It's scary in a "oh dear exponentially growing zombie horde" kinda way.
@vlhfan 1.3 is being released tomorrow regardless of anything happening after that. You can already download it at http://www.mojang.com/2012/07/the-weekl ... rerelease/
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

... that doesn't even make sense. the zombies look like steve, the villagers look like squidward. thats just kind of weird in my mind.
And HOW!
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Gargantuan_Penguin wrote:... that doesn't even make sense. the zombies look like steve, the villagers look like squidward. thats just kind of weird in my mind.
Their noses rot and fell... Makes sense to me :P
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
DxPanxD

Post by DxPanxD »

The zombie thing could be interesting for mob grinders.

"Nathan Adams ‏@Dinnerbone
@icyflowleader It'll be in normal (50% chance of infection) and hard (100% chance) difficulties"

It's easy to mass produce villager. Create a way to introduce one zombie to the herd of testificates and suddenly it's a zombie swarm in your breeding cell. Then all you have to do is set up a kill device and you've got a variable zombie/villager farm.

I guess the easiest way to introduce a zombie would be to have a standard skeleton/zombie/creeper farm next to it, and a piston door or some such that opens into the villager breeding cell. A few skeletons and creepers might get in, but they don't matter much and shouldn't break anything.

Supposing you're in hard mode and have a trap that creates 300(assume it's 100 creepers, 100 skeletons, and 100 zombies) mobs in x amount of time, and 400 villagers in the same amount of time, you can either harvest an equal number of 2 high hostile mobs and 400 villagers, or you could get 100 creepers/skeletons and 500 zombies. No villagers though.

Seems like a more efficient way to farm for smite.
Apparently I'm Capitain Overcomplicate.