A vegetal source of Tallow

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Battosay

A vegetal source of Tallow

Post by Battosay »

To help reduce the lag caused by too many entities, because I can't make a farm big enough to keep up with my need of Mining charge without burning my laptop ;)
BinoAl

Re: A vegetal source of Tallow

Post by BinoAl »

Your suggestion does not fit the rules, or the spirit of the mod, and is probably never gonna happen.
Please take some time to read to rules, some other suggestions that were considered/accepted, and make sure you played with the mod long enough to fully understand what FC is trying to do here.
;p
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

I would like to see this as well.. But what sort of plant would you be able to get fat from?

:edit: So, while I would like an alternate source of tallow, plants don't make sense to me...
And HOW!
kazerima

Post by kazerima »

I do well enough gathering meat off my leather farm.
FlowerChild wrote:BANG! BANG! BANG!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!! GET OUT OF FUCKING MY HEAD! HIRE A FUCKING GAME DESIGNER! Fuck.
DxPanxD

Post by DxPanxD »

There is such a thing as tallow derived from plants. Googled some stuff, and several pages mentioned it, but this is the only plant I've found (with very light research) that produces it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triadica_sebifera
Apparently I'm Capitain Overcomplicate.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sorry man. I'm not really willing to take animal breeding out of the loop like that. While I appreciate your cobble-blasting ways, creating massive amounts of sand/glass for aesthetic purposes really isn't the focus of the mod :)
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

That was more intended for Mining, not only for my cobble blaster ;)

I'm getting bad fps because of my new huge mobtrap, my iron golem farm and my villager farm. Too many entities involved.
So if you have any idea to reduce the amount of entities I need, I'm all ears :)

Isn't there any way to completely disable movement of animals in breeding harness for a start?
Panda

Post by Panda »

Well even though this didn't take off i just wanted to throw this out there; I've seen bacon roses sold online Alot. :D
Never say no to Panda.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Coconut and Palm are both historical sources of oil that could probably be used like tallow. However I don't see how to do this without obsoleting pig farms.
deathzaplin

Post by deathzaplin »

prehaps something that can be mixed with tallow to give you a substitue for tallow in mining charges (kinda like a watered down tallow) so it effectively doubles your tallow but you still need to input tallow and this new resource, perhaps to make it even more balanced the other ingredient will cause bad effects if too much of it goes into the cauldron requiring a mixing system to balance the inputs of tallow and this new resource.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

K...if performance is becoming an issue, then there are several things that I can optimize to help with that.

Creating separate entities for animals with breeding harnesses (which I've been meaning to get to anyways) and stripping out the AI for them would help. Collecting XP/Dragon orbs into bigger globs would probably help too. Jeb's upcoming changes to clump item stacks together will likely help. Tweaking the Tallow requirements for Dynamite (I've been planning on modifying the way Dynamite is produced) could also help.

Anyways, there are multiple potential solutions to such a problem rather than radically altering the design of the mod to cut animals out of the tech-tree. Ultimately though, if the player builds big enough and multiple systems in the same area they will *always* run into performance issues in MC. That's the case in vanilla and with any mod.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

A major cause of lag is often the ridiculous way vMC handles sound effects.

This is why I'm designing a waterless mob trap..

I disagree with plant source for tallow too, it's counter to btw philosophy..
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

While coconuts and such do produce a lot of fat, its comprised primarily of poly-unsaturated fatty acids, which causes it to be liquid at room temperature. The only way to convert it into something resembling tallow, you would need to hydrogenate these fats, which is a chemical process quite a bit futher ahead than Steve is. I reckon most attempts using BTW level technology will end up breaking down the fat.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Thalarctia wrote:While coconuts and such do produce a lot of fat, its comprised primarily of poly-unsaturated fatty acids, which causes it to be liquid at room temperature. The only way to convert it into something resembling tallow, you would need to hydrogenate these fats, which is a chemical process quite a bit futher ahead than Steve is. I reckon most attempts using BTW level technology will end up breaking down the fat.
You clearly know nothing about coconut and palm oil...

EDIT for clarity:
Coconut Oil - 86% Saturated / 2% Poly-unsaturated
Palm Oil - 49% / 9%
Tallow - 43% / 4%
Lard - 35% / 11% <- Most of our "Tallow" in the game is actually this

Also anyone who's ever used coconut oil (non-hydrogenated) knows it's hard at room temperature.
Last edited by Sarudak on Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

EDIT: Dumb post, and dumb phone double-posted -.-
Last edited by Rianaru on Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

EDIT: dumb post. Deleted
Last edited by Rianaru on Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
Ultionis

Post by Ultionis »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:I disagree with plant source for tallow too, it's counter to btw philosophy..
Agreed. Unless of course said plant was horrendously cute, and tarnished your soul every time you hurt it, regardless of moral alignment :)

Anyhow, FC already proposed a change, which I'm really glad of (I hope this means no more jumping gimp cows, they piss me off).
I dance to the sound of a Creeper's legs breaking
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

Sarudak wrote:You clearly know nothing about coconut and palm oil...
A quick look on wikipedia gives a melting point of coconut oil at 24 degrees C, which makes it liquid at room temperature (commonly set to 25 degrees C among scientists). A candle made from unhydrogenated coconut oil would turn into a blob of liquid fat within minutes after lighting it.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sigh...and now we've entered the "let's throw out random scientific facts from the consensus reality applied to a fictional world" portion of the thread.

As I said...I'll look into it.