New world for 1.3? What do you think of large biomes?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
bwyw

New world for 1.3? What do you think of large biomes?

Post by bwyw »

Been playing around with 1.3, ready for next week. Turns out that the terrain generation is NOT significantly different - my seeds look exactly the same, but probably have jungle temples in them somewhere. The only real exciting option is the 'large worlds' biome.

Large biomes - cool? Pointless? Or frustrating when you have to find mycelium?

Not sure whether or not to recreate my map in 1.3... so many hours put in..
Elevatator

Re: New world for 1.3? What do you think of large biomes?

Post by Elevatator »

I think it is a cool feature, it allows us to play in a specific biome, and its good for people creating citys.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Syruse

Post by Syruse »

Large Biomes aren't really worth starting over, IMO. They mostly make for a rather boring view, unless you really like seeing only one biome. Their are occasionally some interesting mid-biome terrain features, more overhangs and such in mountain biomes, but nothing too special.

And from a game play standpoint it makes finding the different biome types a pain, forget about finding a mushroom biome. :P
If you're lucky you'll spawn on the edge of multiple biomes.

And with more and more releases of Better Than Wolves in the near(?) future starting over and having to work your way back up the tech tree to get the new toys may end up being a hellish endeavor. But that depends on how far you are along in your current world, if you have steel I don't recommend starting over. :)
An IRC Conversation wrote: [19:24] <Ribky> on the bright side, i did my first modifications with the MCP today... :)
[19:24] <Horizon> what's it do?
[19:25] <Ribky> it eats your goddamn animals
duartemad

Post by duartemad »

If there is a way to turn my 1.2.5 world in a large biome thing I will do a nether portal far away from my original one and start generating new chuncks.
FlowerChild wrote:
Ph1il93 wrote:and it seems 1.4.6 is comming.
Excuse me for a moment while I say:

Fuck.
Norren

Post by Norren »

I'm curious to see if large biomes means abandoned mines and netherforts the size of moria.
Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Norren wrote:I'm curious to see if large biomes means abandoned mines and netherforts the size of moria.
Biomes affect the surface terrain independent of cave and structure generation.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Mr. B wrote:
Norren wrote:I'm curious to see if large biomes means abandoned mines and netherforts the size of moria.
Biomes affect the surface terrain independent of cave and structure generation.
I think he means as far as cave systems being extremely large, not the size of individual caverns and passageways.
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
bwyw

Post by bwyw »

Counter-intuitively, large biomes actually means villages, temples, and other terrain features are more dense in their respective biomes.
Spoiler
Show
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

duartemad wrote:If there is a way to turn my 1.2.5 world in a large biome thing I will do a nether portal far away from my original one and start generating new chuncks.
Make a large biomes world, then MCEdit your base into it.
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I like the fact that it ups the challenge a bit. And it makes biome edges look a whole lot more....epic.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Magick_Miner

Post by Magick_Miner »

I was thinking about starting a new world with 1.3 using large biomes, then with the death of BTB i am definitely going to.

I like the idea of only seeing one terrain type in every direction. Always bugged me seeing lots of different biomes in close vicinity.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I played with large-biomes a bit and I like it a lot. Gives much more meaning to biome specific resources (like different tree types and wolves).

I find it also really adds to the sense of isolation and needing to survive.
Panda

Post by Panda »

FlowerChild wrote:I played with large-biomes a bit and I like it a lot. Gives much more meaning to biome specific resources (like different tree types and wolves).

I find it also really adds to the sense of isolation and needing to survive.
+1 my thought exactly
Never say no to Panda.
Magick_Miner

Post by Magick_Miner »

FlowerChild wrote: I find it also really adds to the sense of isolation and needing to survive.
This. In a snapshot i built a house on a hill in a taiga biome. When it began snowing i found myself wanting to go inside by the fire i had built.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Magick_Miner wrote: This. In a snapshot i built a house on a hill in a taiga biome. When it began snowing i found myself wanting to go inside by the fire i had built.
Hehe...same here :)

There wasn't the feeling that I could just "escape" the conditions in a biome by running over the next hill.

Anyways, I personally like it a lot. It may cause some balance issues with the mod, especially with regards to wolves, though.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

FlowerChild wrote:Anyways, I personally like it a lot. It may cause some balance issues with the mod, especially with regards to wolves, though.
Oh! I forgot to tell you while you were on the #btw channel. Burpcraft is getting a map wipe (don't worry - penis cobble fortress has been preserved for prosterity's sake) and we'll be having a new map with Large Biomes. RenEvo says the party starts tonight. I know you generally don't care for restarting worlds, but this is the map we plan on using once BTW goes SMP.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Magick_Miner

Post by Magick_Miner »

The addition of Mycelium as a recipe item also scares me abit with regards to large biomes, but if if it isnt a challenge then its no fun.

(Can someone please remind me of this sentiment when i have gone raving mad from searching for a Mushroom biome)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Magick_Miner wrote:The addition of Mycelium as a recipe item also scares me abit with regards to large biomes, but if if it isnt a challenge then its no fun.

(Can someone please remind me of this sentiment when i have gone raving mad from searching for a Mushroom biome)
Well, as I mentioned in the last release thread, Mycelium isn't actually part of the tech-tree, and I won't make it one until there's an alternate source for it.

I'd just say forget about Nether Growth for the time being if you go large-biome.

Wolves are another matter though, as they are a requirement.
Magick_Miner

Post by Magick_Miner »

Yeah it wont hinder progression through the tech tree.

Even before any BTW use for the mushroom biome i was always drawn to find one in my world to add Mooshrooms to my collection. And the cow>mooshroom mutating change made that much more pleasant than it was originally.
duartemad

Post by duartemad »

The great randomo wrote:
duartemad wrote:If there is a way to turn my 1.2.5 world in a large biome thing I will do a nether portal far away from my original one and start generating new chuncks.
Make a large biomes world, then MCEdit your base into it.
That might be one of the solutions I hope.
FlowerChild wrote:
Ph1il93 wrote:and it seems 1.4.6 is comming.
Excuse me for a moment while I say:

Fuck.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

morvelaira wrote: Oh! I forgot to tell you while you were on the #btw channel. Burpcraft is getting a map wipe (don't worry - penis cobble fortress has been preserved for prosterity's sake) and we'll be having a new map with Large Biomes. RenEvo says the party starts tonight. I know you generally don't care for restarting worlds, but this is the map we plan on using once BTW goes SMP.
Well...I had fun on that server while it lasted :)

Anyways, once BTW goes SMP it's unlikely I'll be playing anything other than anarchy, so it's all good ;)
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Damnit. I hate it when terrain generation is changed. It always makes me want to start a new world, and large biomes looks very interesting. I still haven't gotten around to look for strongholds/build a nether base in my current world though so it's probably a really bad idea to start over, even if I'd keep my current world as well.
But yeah... large biomes look interesting...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Tekei wrote:Damnit. I hate it when terrain generation is changed. It always makes me want to start a new world, and large biomes looks very interesting. I still haven't gotten around to look for strongholds/build a nether base in my current world though so it's probably a really bad idea to start over, even if I'd keep my current world as well.
But yeah... large biomes look interesting...
I doubt terrain generation will ever stop changing man. I decided to just keep playing my 1 world...seems and all...and I really don't think I've suffered unduly from it.

If I want new terrain, I just build a nether-rail out to the middle of nowhere, pop into the overworld, and build a new base there.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

FlowerChild wrote:Well...I had fun on that server while it lasted :)

Anyways, once BTW goes SMP it's unlikely I'll be playing anything other than anarchy, so it's all good ;)
I figured that would be your feelings on the matter. I'm assuming you'll always be welcome for a run by cobble-grief if you're ever in the mood, though.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

morvelaira wrote: I figured that would be your feelings on the matter. I'm assuming you'll always be welcome for a run by cobble-grief if you're ever in the mood, though.
Yeah, I should really get in the habit of asking server-ops if they have the intention of *ever* resetting when I first join a server, and just not play at all if they do. I didn't make a conscious decision about it, but I know from experience that my interest in a server has never survived a reset.

Returning to a world I know is a big draw for me, and I know when I've tried playing on a server after a reset, it feels far less "real" to me, as it no longer feels like my actions have any consequence whatsoever.

I'm surprised so many server-ops do it actually, as from what I can tell it's a server killer. I don't think many people are conscious of feeling the same way I do, they just loose the urge to continue playing after a reset without ever questioning why. It may seem like a good idea at the time, but it rarely is IMO. Persistence of a world, getting the impression you are part of something ongoing, and the combined actions of many players bringing a world to life will always trump any new added bells and whistles in randomly generated terrain.

Why people would ever think that random terrain is somehow more important than player created structures in a game about building is beyond me. This is probably the main reason I don't play more SMP.