Buildcraft wrench in BTW

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
weldaSB

Buildcraft wrench in BTW

Post by weldaSB »

Exactly what the title said, the ability to manipulate VMC objects like pistons with the wrench is why i originally used BTB. Maybe a system like that could be done now that there is no more BTB? maybe manipulate them with a bare hand?
MoRmEnGiL: In the grand scheme of things, if you hate pickles in your burger, you can always remove them and go on.
DIG_down

Re: Buildcraft wrench in BTW

Post by DIG_down »

weldaSB wrote:maybe manipulate them with a bare hand?
Try that.
FlowerChild wrote:
Sarudak wrote:Not to mention he posted an idea in the stop posting ideas thread right after he came back from a ban for posting ideas....
+1
Urian

Post by Urian »

...and before I have my morning coffee.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, in fairness to the original poster, he was talking about *vanilla* objects guys :)

Honestly, I do find the inability to rotate pistons when placed to be a bit of a pain in the ass.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Fine, fine. I unbanned him. Now I need coffee instead.
DIG_down

Post by DIG_down »

Ok I'll admit jumping all over the place, looking like a bird with a rock in it's foot, trying to properly align a piston can be a bit of a bother. I would rather see the ability to manipulate them with bare hand than with a wrench-like item, but whatever's easier. I'm having trouble thinking of any other blocks where this is the case though...oooh repeaters are a huge pain, you can't even place them below you, maybe shift-clicking would reorient them.
FlowerChild wrote:
Sarudak wrote:Not to mention he posted an idea in the stop posting ideas thread right after he came back from a ban for posting ideas....
+1
Caboose

Post by Caboose »

DIG_down wrote:oooh repeaters are a huge pain, you can't even place them below you, maybe shift-clicking would reorient them.
If I recall correctly, FC isn't a fan of using alternate controls like "shift-clicking" and likes to stick to the basic Minecraft controls.

Though I do agree with the suggestion in general, being able to reorient vanilla objects would be nice, it's certainly handy when using gearboxes.
DIG_down

Post by DIG_down »

Caboose wrote:If I recall correctly, FC isn't a fan of using alternate controls like "shift-clicking" and likes to stick to the basic Minecraft controls.
Found it, you're right. However, regular clicking just changes the delay of the repeater and adding a new item(it wouldn't use a block id because it's not a block right?) for reorienting two blocks seems a little much.
Wrenches fit in with BC and BTB because there were machines, machines<->wrenches makes sense, but for BTW I think it would be a bit weird. And yes I realize BTW incorporates many machine-like constructs, but to me they have a completely different feel, I mean even the gears are made of wood. Maybe something that functions the same way as a wrench, but isn't an actual wrench, would fit better.
FlowerChild wrote:
+1
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

A lot of other mods have their "rotate shit" item. Buildcraft just had the best one, the one that made sense. And yeah, when I was a buildcraft user I got addicted to rotating pistons and crap with it.

I also like having more tools. In my mind my hotbar ought to be a toolbelt.

That said, I simply don't think the wrench fits with Better than Wolves. It would have to have been incorporated from the beginning, as the only means to turn items. Instead, FC went with empty hand clicking, which works conceptually just fine. But since BTB proves you can alter the piston so it can be rotated post-placement, I too would like to see that function re-introduced somehow.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TheAnarchitect wrote:A lot of other mods have their "rotate shit" item. Buildcraft just had the best one, the one that made sense. And yeah, when I was a buildcraft user I got addicted to rotating pistons and crap with it.
Wait...wasn't that functionality specific to BTB? I thought I added that.
weldaSB

Post by weldaSB »

You did add that, I think he meant btb
MoRmEnGiL: In the grand scheme of things, if you hate pickles in your burger, you can always remove them and go on.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

weldaSB wrote:You did add that, I think he meant btb
Ah...cool. I thought I was losing it (whatever little of it I have left) for a second there :)

Yeah, I'll probably do the open-hand thing on pistons and such when I have a moment. I really don't like the idea of having a separate item to do it. I think most mods mainly do that to avoid base-class modifications, but since I don't give a fuck about that kind of thing, I'll just avoid using the extra inv space for yet another limited-use tool instead ;)
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

FlowerChild wrote:I'll just avoid using the extra inv space for yet another limited-use tool instead ;)
<3 ;]
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Urian

Post by Urian »

Does that mean the tuning fork will get more uses? ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote: <3 ;]
Yeah...running back to base to get your wrench to rotate a single block?

I can't say I was a fan of those scenarios. In fact, I do believe I uttered profanity a few times when I had to do that :)

Being a base-class modifying maniac has its privileges design-wise ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Urian wrote:Does that mean the tuning fork will get more uses? ;)
No. That one is so specific use that I don't see anyone ever running back to base because they forgot to bring one.

It's not like you're wandering around your world and suddenly think "Damn! I really should have brought my tuning fork!" or "man, I really wish I hadn't filled my inventory with all these tuning forks! Now I have no room for cobble!" :)
Urian

Post by Urian »

What? But what if I suddenly get the urge to break out in a dance and song number when spelunking?
simanick

Post by simanick »

FlowerChild wrote: It's not like you're wandering around your world and suddenly think "Damn! I really should have brought my tuning fork!" or "man, I really wish I hadn't filled my inventory with all these tuning forks! Now I have no room for cobble!" :)
bu but music on the go...

edit: damn ninjaed
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Urian wrote:What? But what if I suddenly get the urge to break out in a dance and song number when spelunking?
Lol! Well, I guess you're just screwed then :)

Seriously though, I don't think anyone ever has, or ever will, get frustrated by the absence or presence of Tuning Forks in their inventory. The wrench is a whole other story. It kinda occupies that middle ground of being something you don't need often enough to always want to take up a slot with, but which you do use often enough that you find yourself running back to base to get it.

Plus, there's the whole thing of "I have the tools to place blocks...I have the tools to remove blocks...why the fuck can't I rotate this block?"
Panda

Post by Panda »

FlowerChild wrote:
Ah...cool. I thought I was losing it (whatever little of it I have left) for a second there :)

Yeah, I'll probably do the open-hand thing on pistons and such when I have a moment. I really don't like the idea of having a separate item to do it. I think most mods mainly do that to avoid base-class modifications, but since I don't give a fuck about that kind of thing, I'll just avoid using the extra inv space for yet another limited-use tool instead ;)
Pedestal... the top is such a time consumer sometimes... I love you papa Flower. :D
Never say no to Panda.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

The biggest pain in the ass is when you realise there is no way to place that repeater or piston in the orientation you need without tearing up complicated wiring. Unfortunately it's very hard to find a way to rotate repeaters.. But yay for pistons.

To be honest, repeaters are usually placed during the wiring, while pistons are often placed after. So pistons are much more in need of a way to be rotated.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
weldaSB

Post by weldaSB »

Could I request that, if you decide to add this, don't forget vMC dispensers.
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

FlowerChild wrote:

In fairness, empty hands can be a tad annoying because your hotbar is the first thing that gets filled up when you auto-collect a nearby item. A separate item is safe from this issue.
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:In fairness, empty hands can be a tad annoying because your hotbar is the first thing that gets filled up when you auto-collect a nearby item. A separate item is safe from this issue.
Nothing is stopping you from moving one of your items from the hotbar temporarily to free up a slot (I do it all the time when I build stuff) but running back to your chests and pick up an item you've forgotten is way more inconvenient.
Ultionis

Post by Ultionis »

The BTB wrench was one of my favourite tools, I always had one on me. I'm all for free hand rotation, but that might prove problematic with Block Dispencers, no? I think that and the vMC dispencer would be the only exception though.
I dance to the sound of a Creeper's legs breaking