Non Hostile Mob Farms

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Thordan Ssoa

Non Hostile Mob Farms

Post by Thordan Ssoa »

Well, I've been looking around and I haven't seen a thread about this yet, so I figured I'd make one. I've been experimenting with non hostile mob farming on my creative world before I try and build it in my survival world and I can't for the life of me figure out how to make an efficient automated pig and/or cow farm. So, I was wondering what you guys were doing for non hostile farms, or if I was the only one attempting to make them fully automated.

Video showing my farms for those interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMI1rqYjfXY
FlowerChild wrote:Never have I seen folks have this much fun with sheep without wearing a kilt.
FlowerChild wrote:you haven't seen a fight scene until you've seen one with horse schlongs swinging free
Whisp

Re: Non Hostile Mob Farms

Post by Whisp »

Welcome to the forum!
You should take a look around the Show us your builds! and Useful builds that get the job done threads. Both contain various designs for breeding contraptions. Battosays LP is also a great source for inspiration.
Opening another thread for this bears that risk that one of the specific threads vanishes to page two and is forgotten.

You have quite an interesting design for your mob farms, but it seems that you make very little use of the possibilities that BTW offers. Using saws saves the need for timed pistons to suffocate the mobs. Also you might want to take a look at breeding harnesses, they are the ultimate tool to build efficient high tech breeding farms.
Thordan Ssoa

Post by Thordan Ssoa »

Whisp wrote:Welcome to the forum!
-snip-

Also you might want to take a look on breeding harnesses, they are the ultimate tool to build efficient high tech breeding farms.
I tried that, but they gave me some problems. Namely, mobs would still jump alot, and often get pushed around. Also, when they bred the newborn would spawn between them and push them apart. But I will take a look at those threads, thank you for the links.
FlowerChild wrote:Never have I seen folks have this much fun with sheep without wearing a kilt.
FlowerChild wrote:you haven't seen a fight scene until you've seen one with horse schlongs swinging free
Joeyjoebob

Post by Joeyjoebob »

Thordan Ssoa wrote:
Whisp wrote:Welcome to the forum!
-snip-

Also you might want to take a look on breeding harnesses, they are the ultimate tool to build efficient high tech breeding farms.
I tried that, but they gave me some problems. Namely, mobs would still jump alot, and often get pushed around. Also, when they bred the newborn would spawn between them and push them apart. But I will take a look at those threads, thank you for the links.
Mobs won't move when you dress them in a breeding harness. Animals also can breed from a 1 block distance.
TheAnarchitect wrote:
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
The other half is violence...
Thordan Ssoa

Post by Thordan Ssoa »

Joeyjoebob wrote: Mobs won't move when you dress them in a breeding harness. Animals also can breed from a 1 block distance.
They didn't move, just jumped. That wasn't really a problem, it just bugged me. And after having seen some other breeding farms I've realized they don't need to be right next each other to breed.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

...put a block above them ... ?