Soulforged Steel Bars/Windows and Slippery Soap

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
kazerima

Soulforged Steel Bars/Windows and Slippery Soap

Post by kazerima »

I have two ideas that would make sense with Better Than Wolves.

First, would be some kind of transparency block made of soulforged steel. This could either be reinforced version of Iron Bars, or perhaps simply glass surrounded by soulforged steel. The purpose would be to allow people in their soulforged steel bunkers a means of looking out at the world without sacrificing durability. An iron bar type texture could work for a jail cell type feel, or the reinforced glass for a more traditional approach.

Second, if this hasn't yet been implemented, to give soap blocks the same slippery movement as ice blocks, for use as either an easier to use item slide with water or for use in roads.
FlowerChild wrote:BANG! BANG! BANG!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!! GET OUT OF FUCKING MY HEAD! HIRE A FUCKING GAME DESIGNER! Fuck.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Re: Soulforged Steel Bars/Windows and Slippery Soap

Post by Sarudak »

Your suggestion does not fit the rules, or the spirit of the mod, and is probably never gonna happen.
Please take some time to read to rules, some other suggestions that were considered/accepted, and make sure you played with the mod long enough to fully understand what FC is trying to do here.

Please one suggestion per post.

Your first is aesthetic and not likely to be well received.

Your second is in direct violation of FCs design vision. There's a reason he's been complaining about the changes to ice.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Edit: Ninja'd

Also, the soap is part of an aesthetic block collection using the same blockID but with different damage values so specific attributes can't be given to them.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

kazerima wrote: Second, if this hasn't yet been implemented, to give soap blocks the same slippery movement as ice blocks, for use as either an easier to use item slide with water or for use in roads.
This tells me he hasn't even played the mod too much...
Can we pretty please add a rule saying you have to make it to steel before you can make any suggestions? :)
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

BinoAl wrote:
kazerima wrote: Second, if this hasn't yet been implemented, to give soap blocks the same slippery movement as ice blocks, for use as either an easier to use item slide with water or for use in roads.
This tells me he hasn't even played the mod too much...
Can we pretty please add a rule saying you have to make it to steel before you can make any suggestions? :)
Surprisingly enough, I've never made it to steel >.>
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

morvelaira wrote: Surprisingly enough, I've never made it to steel >.>
O.o
orangeweaver

Post by orangeweaver »

BinoAl wrote: This tells me he hasn't even played the mod too much...
This and having automated at least two machines. Doesn't matter which. Soap should be used to wash out mouths.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Surprisingly enough, you've never posted a single suggestion ;)
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Yes, but you've played the mod longer than half of us, that's allowed :p
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Itamarcu wrote:

Surprisingly enough, you've never posted a single suggestion ;)
Not that has been recorded on these forums, no. I have certainly made them in other places, though.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

morvelaira wrote: Not that has been recorded on these forums, no. I have certainly made them in other places, though.

...So, the Flying Turtle Flight Lounge is not a myth after all?
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Itamarcu wrote: ...So, the Flying Turtle Flight Lounge is not a myth after all?
The what??
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Sarudak wrote:
Itamarcu wrote: ...So, the Flying Turtle Flight Lounge is not a myth after all?
The what??

Damn it, I thought you'd fall for that.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

We don't even have any flying turtles anymore. We're all space turtles here...
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

No, on RenEvo's livestream mostly (may that rest in peace). Few times where I almost convinced him of some really neat things when FC was drunk :)
kazerima

Post by kazerima »

I have gotten to steel before, but that was quite some time ago, and I've been playing mostly Forge for the past couple versions. I believe the last time I seriously played BTW was around when FC decided to add the Anvil along with the Mattock and Battleaxe, then decided to bring back the refined tools as well. Because updates at that time seemed to offer no real benefits to functionality beyond a wide range of nerfs, I'd decided to stop for the time being.

I haven't made it up to soulforged steel in my present playthrough, and making soap was never really among my chief aims. I also was not aware that Soap Blocks shared the same ID, nor do I consider it mere aesthetics to have an explosion resistant block that can be seen through. Indeed, the reason for my suggestion in the first place is that the most explosion resistant transparent block in vanilla happens to be Iron Bars, with a paltry resistance of 32, not nearly effective enough to withstand a single blast of TnT, as opposed to Obsidian or Steel which can endure a couple dozen.
Last edited by kazerima on Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild wrote:BANG! BANG! BANG!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!! GET OUT OF FUCKING MY HEAD! HIRE A FUCKING GAME DESIGNER! Fuck.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Shouldn't transparent parts of your base necessitate vulnerabilities? That's how it is in real life. And it imposing design constraints that would tend to make your bunkers look more like... well... bunkers. If you ask me that's a good thing.
Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

kazerima wrote:Indeed, the reason for my suggestion in the first place is that the most explosion resistant transparent block in vanilla happens to be Iron Bars, with a paltry resistance of 32, not nearly effective enough to withstand a single blast of T&T, as opposed to Obsidian or Steel which can endure a couple dozen.
You have overlooked or forgotten water. It is (partially)transparent and explosion resistant(500 resistance). There are numerous mods to adjust water transparency. It doesn't work in the Nether, but ghast fireballs can't break iron bars. I guess SMP in Nether lacks a transparent blast resistant option, or I can't think of one.
kazerima

Post by kazerima »

Sarudak, it's not about transparency being weaker so much as how much weaker it is. 32 isn't just weaker than obsidian and steel's 6000, it's so much weaker it's not even in the same league. Something more akin to a resistance of 2000 to 4000 would be along those lines.

Mr. B, using water is extremely unintuitive and reeks of the kind of insanity that leads to people making houses out of Personal Chests in IC2. Not to mention, water doesn't prevent people from just walking right through.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Considering the way explosions work in minecraft I'm fairly certain that there's no effective difference between 2000 and 6000. No amount of TNT will destroy either block.
kazerima

Re: Soulforged Steel Bars/Window and Slippery Soap in the sh

Post by kazerima »

Regardless of the numbers, there's still room for a transparent solid block that can actually withstand a blast or two, and adding the Steel Block's pick resistance couldn't hurt either.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

kazerima wrote:Regardless of the numbers, there's still room for a transparent solid block that can actually withstand a blast or two, and adding the Steel Block's pick resistance couldn't hurt either.
And it would be entirely aesthetic. I can't see what the gameplay value would be of such a block.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Azdoine

Post by Azdoine »

Stormweaver wrote:
kazerima wrote:Regardless of the numbers, there's still room for a transparent solid block that can actually withstand a blast or two, and adding the Steel Block's pick resistance couldn't hurt either.
And it would be entirely aesthetic. I can't see what the gameplay value would be of such a block.
Aesthetics is a form of gameplay value, sort of, but not the kind this mod is geared for.
In any case, I would pass this suggestion along to Kaos, (sp?) the guy who makes the asthetic addon for BTW.
kazerima

Post by kazerima »

Stormweaver wrote:And it would be entirely aesthetic. I can't see what the gameplay value would be of such a block.
Because unlike other explosion resistant blocks, it would be transparent, and transparency DOES affect gameplay. Just imagine what Minecraft would be like without Glass?
Panda

Post by Panda »

kazerima wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:And it would be entirely aesthetic. I can't see what the gameplay value would be of such a block.
Because unlike other explosion resistant blocks, it would be transparent, and transparency DOES affect gameplay. Just imagine what Minecraft would be like without Glass?
Less transparent, sadly not like where this thred is going :\
Never say no to Panda.